(8 posts)
  1. Wartime

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Oct 5 2018 9:17:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey people,

Thanks for this forum that enlighten a bit the darkness of having a bed bug problem.

Mine is that I'm not sure I (still) have it !

It all started with me having big reactions to what appeared to me as mosquito bites, and a friend saying to me (two months later - in the meantime I had like 4-5 of them) it looked like bed bug bites.
    I freaked out, sealed my mattress and threw it out (bad move I know), threw my carpet (under which I found carpet beetles and what appeared to me as a nymph bed bug, but really not sure), started to clean/dry/seal my clothes, vacuum everything, got a new mattress which i left the plastic cover on so they can't infest it, and started to spread diatomaceous earth all other the place, isolating my bed too with it.

For a long period, apart from the bites (let's say like ten in 3 months), i found no visual sign at all. Yet, yesterday, I found, among my 26 bed slats, a dozen of tiny black spots that look like fecals.
    They smear when touched with saliva, and I'm pretty sure they are.
    Here are the photos (before / after smearing) : can anyone confirm ? Could they be something else ?

https://imgur.com/a/tUT95Sh

The thing that I don't get is that since then, I did not have the same reactions anymore : sometimes I have the feeling i got bites, but when I look, there is just a tiny little red dot, sometimes nothing, whereas before I started to self-treat (just a few days ago) the reactions were huge and lasted for days, swollen and red. How could my body so quickly react differently ?
    If the bugs are here since 3-4 months, how could I only see those ten little fecals spots ?

I don't get it, really, and have the feeling to fight an invisible and maybe inexistent enemy, that yet marks its presence from time to time in an always more discret way.
    Does someone have any clues ? At some point, I thought it could be reaction to carpet beetles, as I saw they can be pretty bad. But then I found those little fecals.

Thanks for your attention, really.

PS : I have an old wooden floor with a lot of cracks for them to hide, but still, I don't get it.

2. Wartime

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 7 2018 5:31:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Anyone to help me, please ? At least with the ID ?

It's been a few days now and I'm still getting some bites but they are really tiny and itch just a little in comparison to what I got the previous weeks.
    Could it be a psychosomatic skin reaction ? Another insect ?

I'm lost and starting to get discouraged in that fight.

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 7 2018 7:55:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you placed any glueboards or other monitors out? Didn't take pictures of any of the insects collected?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. Wartime

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 7 2018 12:35:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey loubugs,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately in the first panic I kept none of the insect found (vacuum + throw away). As I took off my carpet, I found a lot of what looked like tiny centipedes, which I think to have identified as carpet beetles.

I saw ONE suspicious thing, a red/rusty yet transparent little thing, which could be a nymph. I got rid of it very quickly.
    Are there any other house / carpet insects looking like that ?

I haven't placed any monitors yet, cause I don't know where to find good ones here in France. I isolated my bed with DE at the feet, and will place double face tape on them tomorrow.

I also think of steaming my whole wooden floor and filling the cracks and voids with wood paste.

What about the few spots on my slats ? Could they be anything else than BB feces ?

Thanks so much for the help

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Oct 8 2018 6:51:24
    #

Login to Send PM

You can make them. Fan-folded paper strips, coffee cup holders. Leave in your laundry for a few days to make them more attractive.
    cupsleevetrap by louento.pix, on Flickr

fanfoldmonitor by louento.pix, on Flickr

6. Wartime

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 9 2018 10:45:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks !

I need help for an ID plea&se !

https://imgur.com/a/drigyDI

I just found this little guy on my wall

He's the size of a bed bug, but his back is flat and kind of shiny (I don't see the several rings I see on bed bug pictures), and it looks like he has wings, cause sometimes when I was trying to trap it, his back would separate a bit from body as if he had protection for wings.

Does someone know about this ??

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 9 2018 11:51:57
    #

Login to Send PM

You know by your description it's not a bed bug.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 9 2018 15:05:34
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 3 hours ago  » 
    You know by your description it's not a bed bug.

Quite true. You've described a beetle.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,523 posts in 46,598 topics over 142 months by 20,553 of 21,419 members. Latest: pestbreaker, TRAY, tjg