Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

ID this teeny, tiny little guy, please- thanks in advance

(11 posts)
  1. RNinNYC

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 26 2015 12:44:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope that these pictures are clear enough... whatever this is 1mm or under and was dead. I'm not even sure I have a full body and when i tried to put it in a baggy, it disintegrated. I'm sorry the pics are blurry- I used a magnifier app and it's the best I could get. I put it next to a dead beetle I found (wonderful) on a gap tag to give a size comparison. Is there anyway to know what it is or at least eliminate bb?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131336076@N07/19154971126/in/dateposted-public/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/131336076@N07/18560499623/in/dateposted-public/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/131336076@N07/18993540798/in/dateposted-public/

Thanks in advance!!!

2. RNinNYC

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 26 2015 14:01:18
    #

Login to Send PM

And while I'm at it- the other one is a black carpet beetle, right? Ive seen a few around my apt and just want to check my ID skills.
    Thanks again

3. Mitchygirl

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 26 2015 14:12:15
    #

Login to Send PM

You need a better picture to tell for sure. Based on the first one, I thought it didn't look like a bed bug--kind of like a tick. The second looked like maybe it could be a young BB, but I'm definitely not sure. Are there any other signs of infestation: bites, black or red spots on your mattress (especially around the seams)?

When you first found it what color was it? Is it flat?

4. RNinNYC

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 26 2015 14:24:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the input, Mitchygirl- The head was definitely black (if that's what the top is) and the body was black but may have had hints of like a shiny red/brown when it was held up to the light. Really hard to tell though, because it was the size of a speck. I would've thought it was tiny black lint if I wasn't anal retentive. It wasn't flat- more rounded. I would say that if it reminds me of anything (shapewise) it was reminiscent of a lady bug with a more defined round head.

No other signs of any issues- had a suspected (treated without visual proof) case about 6 months ago...

5. wontbugmywits

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 26 2015 14:26:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Mitchygirl - 12 minutes ago  » 
    You need a better picture to tell for sure. Based on the first one, I thought it didn't look like a bed bug--kind of like a tick. The second looked like maybe it could be a young BB, but I'm definitely not sure. Are there any other signs of infestation: bites, black or red spots on your mattress (especially around the seams)?
    When you first found it what color was it? Is it flat?

Are you a professional? If not, per forum rules you shouldn't take a guess. Wait until someone like Lou can take a look.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 26 2015 14:49:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Based on the first one, I thought it didn't look like a bed bug--kind of like a tick. The second looked like maybe it could be a young BB, but I'm definitely not sure.
    No. none of the above. The large one looks like a black carpet beetle as was pointed out above. I really can't say much about the tiny object. It looks like something that's been posted before and it was a problem then. The info on the photo doesn't give much about resolution and it would help if the resolution was set to highest setting and the image size set to largest. Is it possible to get closer to the small object yet still keep it focused?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. RNinNYC

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 26 2015 14:54:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Lou- that's all I have. It disintegrated and is now somewhere in the cracks on the floor when I tried to put it in a baggie. I can tell you that I used a magnifying app and that it probably is less than 1 mm, if the carpet beetle gives you any frame of reference. Can I rule out bed bugs at least? (please say yes) If it helps- we've had book lice, lots of carpet beetles, and an ant problem in this apartment in the past 2 months

loubugs - 3 minutes ago  » 

Based on the first one, I thought it didn't look like a bed bug--kind of like a tick. The second looked like maybe it could be a young BB, but I'm definitely not sure.
    No. none of the above. The large one looks like a black carpet beetle as was pointed out above. I really can't say much about the tiny object. It looks like something that's been posted before and it was a problem then. The info on the photo doesn't give much about resolution and it would help if the resolution was set to highest setting and the image size set to largest. Is it possible to get closer to the small object yet still keep it focused?

8. RNinNYC

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 26 2015 14:55:49
    #

Login to Send PM

sorry double post

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 26 2015 15:00:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I can tell you that I used a magnifying app and that it probably is less than 1 mm, if the carpet beetle gives you any frame of reference. Can I rule out bed bugs at least? (please say yes) If it helps- we've had book lice, lots of carpet beetles, and an ant problem in this apartment in the past 2 months
    Yes. Well, it's interesting that you stated the ant problem because on a previous post from someone else with a similar looking object I thought it was an ant gaster and that's what I thought here. A microscopic exam or even a 30x loupe would help .

10. RNinNYC

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 26 2015 15:02:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much- I will keep an eye out, but I can sleep much easier tonight since you indicated that it's not bb-related. If I find another one, I'll keep it to send you a sample or bring it over (I'm in NYC).

Again, Lou, thank you for volunteering your time to help everyone here. I hope you know how much it's truly appreciated!

loubugs - 1 minute ago  » 

I can tell you that I used a magnifying app and that it probably is less than 1 mm, if the carpet beetle gives you any frame of reference. Can I rule out bed bugs at least? (please say yes) If it helps- we've had book lice, lots of carpet beetles, and an ant problem in this apartment in the past 2 months
    Yes. Well, it's interesting that you stated the ant problem because on a previous post from someone else with a similar looking object I thought it was an ant gaster and that's what I thought here. A microscopic exam or even a 30x loupe would help .

11. RNinNYC

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 26 2015 15:10:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou- sending you a PM

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,696 posts in 50,018 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur