ID these bugs please!! the shells.

(8 posts)
  1. bugbug77

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Aug 12 2018 12:48:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, a few weeks ago, I stayed in a hotel during my vacation. After that, I have seen some rash and bites on my skin. And, I found these terrific shells or dead bugs yesterday while cleaning! I am in panic right now. Please please help me to identify these shells or dead bugs. Please. Some of them looks like bed bugs, and some of them look like something else.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/163821332@N02/?

2. lsdrg706

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Aug 12 2018 14:43:11
    #

Login to Send PM

They all look like carpet beetle larvae to me, but feel free to wait for id from an expert.

3. Buggy Smalls

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Aug 12 2018 15:04:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Black or brown carpet beetle larvae can cause skin reactions in people, because of their spiky exterior. I have found adult carpet beetles in my apartment recently, and therefore I’ve researched how they look, also in different stages, the pictures look like spiky carpet beetle larvae.
    As said, an expert to be sure or maybe send them to a company to identify?

I’ve written on two post now identifying bugs, I’m a little unsure as to the rules about this? Since I’m obviously not an expert.

4. bugbug77

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Aug 12 2018 15:10:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, I am also assuming they are carpet beetles. I would love them to be carpet beetles instead of bed bugs.... for real....

But, I cannot relax until I heard from experts...

5. bugbug77

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Aug 12 2018 15:20:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Buggy Smalls - 15 minutes ago  » 
    Black or brown carpet beetle larvae can cause skin reactions in people, because of their spiky exterior. I have found adult carpet beetles in my apartment recently, and therefore I’ve researched how they look, also in different stages, the pictures look like spiky carpet beetle larvae.
    I’ve written on two post now identifying bugs, I’m a little unsure as to the rules about this? Since I’m obviously not an expert.

Thank you for your information. It is good to know that even carpet beetles can cause skin irritation.

6. Buggy Smalls

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Aug 12 2018 15:23:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I get that a lot.
    Also wanted to say, that bed bugs look ‘the same’ through their metaphors,, that small nymphs look like smaller versions of an adult, so these looking like larvae is probably a good sign.
    Do these things have any legs or tentacles?

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Aug 12 2018 15:56:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Buggy Smalls - 51 minutes ago  » 

The setae (hastisetae) that cause the dermatitis are not found on the black or brown carpet beetles (species of Attagenus), but are found on species of Anthrenus and that's what is represented in the pictures. These are larval shed skins.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  8. bugbug77

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Aug 12 2018 16:09:55
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 11 minutes ago  » 

Buggy Smalls - 51 minutes ago  » 

The setae (hastisetae) that cause the dermatitis are not found on the black or brown carpet beetles (species of Attagenus), but are found on species of Anthrenus and that's what is represented in the pictures. These are larval shed skins.

OMG (crying) I am glad they are not bed bugs!! thank you so much for your response!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,342 posts in 46,553 topics over 141 months by 20,530 of 21,393 members. Latest: northeastbugger, smcsween, Bedbugvaca