ID, small rusty coloured bug found in my bed [a: beetle]

(7 posts)
  1. torontogirl

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Nov 24 2013 2:52:49
    #

Login to Send PM

ive posted a lot of threads that were debunked previously. Today I pulled my covers back and found this in my bed. It's very small, but im hoping for an ID. Also hoping I'm wrong again.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/100569604@N04/11023436205/

2. torontogirl

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Nov 24 2013 2:58:28
    #

Login to Send PM

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/100569604@N04/11023592365/

I don't have a particularly good reputation with my rental office, as I've had cockroaches twice, as well as a host of other maintenance issues. So I'd really like an ID before I cry wolf with my super please. If these pictures are good enough quality.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Nov 24 2013 6:04:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The image is good enough to say 100% it's not bedbugs but not clear enough to say what it is.

It is import to follow all the image guidelines when dealing with a small specamin and that means mainly to take the picture at 90 degrees above the sample to get the focus right.

Hope that helps and please if you are prone to false ID and panic use monitoring to negate that.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. torontogirl

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Nov 24 2013 14:44:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks again david. My lease is up in June, and I WILL be moving out of this god-forsaken building, so my paranoia will be put to rest soon. Something tells me once I stop finding bugs in my bed, I'll stop being hysterical. Thank you for being patient with my queries. The resources on this site are incredibly valuable tools.

My mattress and boxspring are both in covers and I do have climb-ups, albeit homemade, on the legs of my bed. It's less about having bed bugs, and more about the feeling of giving bed bugs to someone else that scares me. I'm sure that's a common sentiment.

Just out of curiosity, what is it about this bug that tells you it's not a bed bug? I only posted it because I thought it looked similar to what I'd seen. And of course because it's rust coloured and I found it under my covers.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Nov 24 2013 14:52:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The outline shape is wrong, there are clear oval segmentation a to the head and body and you just don't get that with bedbugs.

Worry wise, you have no chance of giving someone bedbugs you can't actually find. People only give others bedbugs when they have an easily detectable case of bedbugs.

David

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Nov 24 2013 17:03:08
    #

Login to Send PM

It's a small beetle, sort of like a saw-toothed grain beetle or something similar; could be another family rather than Silvanidae. Difficult to say because even though a large image, the beetle is small with regard to the rest of the image. A macro shot of it would have been useful.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. torontogirl

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Nov 24 2013 23:01:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your insight guys, I appreciate the help.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,662 posts in 50,011 topics over 155 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me