Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

ID request (in a hotel abroad)

(9 posts)
  1. iamscared

Posted 11 months ago
    Mon Dec 3 2018 14:06:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Checked the headboard first when I checked in and saw black spots which I suspected could be faecal spots then saw a bug on the wall which had been killed. I didn’t wait around to take better photos (as I started panicking and anxiety kicked in. It’s been my biggest fear for nearly a decade and had stopped me from travelling until now) and had my room changed (checked and was okay).

I know it’s a big ask, but is this IDable? Did I dodge a bullet?

https://imgur.com/a/vh1hbLq

2. iamscared

Posted 11 months ago
    Mon Dec 3 2018 14:08:08
    #

Login to Send PM

The hotel staff said they had never received a complaint of bed bugs in the hotel but seeing the scale of faecal spots and the fact it was on the wall next to a headboard makes me wonder if it’s an advanced infestation. I am surprised no one has reported it and worry for those previously stayed in that room.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 11 months ago
    Mon Dec 3 2018 14:26:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Not a clear enough image to ID from. What I can make out appears to more flea like than BB.

FYI I have stayed in 10 rooms with advanced faecal signs from infestations that have been cleared, it does happen.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. iamscared

Posted 11 months ago
    Mon Dec 3 2018 14:33:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David for your message. The photo is of bad quality I agree apologies. The bug had been killed I believe so the leg was not on the other side. It was about a pumpkin seed size. I am not sure how big fleas can look.

Also the hotel staff said they’ve never had bed bug complaints so not sure if they would’ve cleared one up before. Do the faecal stains look bed bug related

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 11 months ago
    Mon Dec 3 2018 15:05:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Pumpkin seed is much too large for a bed bug.

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 11 months ago
    Mon Dec 3 2018 16:28:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry missed the spots the first time, they are not bed bug related.

David

7. iamscared

Posted 11 months ago
    Mon Dec 3 2018 19:32:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David - for education, can you please share how you discounted bed bugs?

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 11 months ago
    Mon Dec 3 2018 20:35:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Because it’s not bed bug faecal. If you look at the fine detail it’s wrong, yes close in appearance at the level that it’s dark and round but when you drill down it’s not.

While appreciate that perception is stifled during high anxiety but this is precisely why remaining calm till confirmed should be your mantra.

David

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 11 months ago
    Tue Dec 4 2018 7:05:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Too bad the picture of it isn't more clear.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,646 posts in 50,006 topics over 154 months by 21,867 of 22,348 members. Latest: jaa5108, fightingback, Jenloaa