ID request: Blood spot or faecal stain? [a: not bed bug fecal]

(6 posts)
  1. JTannon

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 10 2017 12:40:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello! First-time poster, long-time forum reader.

I should say that I've never had bed bugs before (although I have developed a more than slightly paranoid fear of them over the last few years!), and in the last couple of weeks I have noticed a few suspicious bumps which I do think are easily attributable to other factors. Last night, though, I noticed these two spots on my pillow and immediately panicked, as in the glow of my bedside lamp they looked almost black. In the light of day, however, I notice that they are far redder and more indicative of blood than BB faecal stains, but I would be extremely grateful for an expert eye to just confirm it for me, if only for my peace of mind! If it is blood, then I am not at all worried as I am prone to my hands drying out and bleeding a bit during the winter. The stain is at most 3 days old, and hasn't bled through onto my pillow protector.

I have taken some photos, with a biro pen cap for scale...

IMG_0401<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

IMG_0400<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

IMG_0399<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

IMG_0398<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 10 2017 14:39:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It's too diffuse and also too oxidized red to be bed bug faecal.

Such diffused but fresh blood spots usually turn out to be something else such as carpet beetles.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. JTannon

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 10 2017 15:18:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for this! I was 95% sure it was just blood but it's always good to get a second, and in this case professional, opinion! Pretty confident it's come either from my hand, as mentioned in the original post, or possibly from a shaving cut which may have re-opened. Ironically, I did have a minor problem with carpet beetle larvae in my flat back in October, although I put some powder down and haven't seen one since.

Just purely out of curiosity, by "too diffuse", do you mean that it's spread out on the fabric too much? I've seen that phrase used elsewhere on the forum and often wondered what it specifically means.

Thanks again!

4. cantcallit2016

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 10 2017 18:23:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Jtannon I know exactly how you feel my hands get so dry during the winter if I'm out in the cold both hands start breaking and bleeding think that's why have found blood on my pillow slip and sheets since mid fall

5. JTannon

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 10 2017 21:38:37
    #

Login to Send PM

The pain is real... and doing the washing-up certainly doesn't help!

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 4:30:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

too diffuse as in the pigment density is wrong for pure blood as if it's it's pure blood mixed with a high level of lymph (the clear/yellowish fluid often seen around skin reactions).

No with regards the carpet beetles the cause of the reaction is usually the fibers associated with the cast larval skins. If you search for my posts and links on the subject you will see it's not a powder / spray issue. It's not uncommon for people to become sensitive to them post bed bug activity which can confuse people if all they are going on is skin reactions.

Hope that explains.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982