ID Pretty Please? [a: head and thorax of click beetle & a mite]

(7 posts)
  1. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jun 13 2014 10:02:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Can anyone ID this "piece" of a bug I found? I know it's not a bed bug as the black "head" gives it away (but before I took a good look at it the black "spot" on the "body" had my pulse quickening for a moment). When I originally found it, I thought it was the whole bug . . . but upon preparing it for it's photo op I realized it's just a piece. It appears to be the head piece? . . . Could it possibly be a missing head of one of the many headless lady bug bodies that has been posted on the forum?

Top view:

BUG PIECE2 by picture account2012, on Flickr

Top view:

BUG PIECE3 by picture account2012, on Flickr

Underside view:

BUG PIECE 4 by picture account2012, on Flickr

Scale view:

BUG PIECE5 by picture account2012, on Flickr

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jun 13 2014 10:34:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Abs,

I am not so sure this is bug.

If you look at the fine detail of images BUG PIECE 4 you will see that the raised parts are in perfect symmetry to each other as are the curve of the edge around them. For this to be as a result of something eating the head they would have to be rather good with a knife to cut that accurately.

I think this one may sprout if you apply water but 100% it is not and will never be a bedbug.

Nice to see your photography skills shine through. Maybe you would like to add some detail of how you took such clear images such as settings and preparations so that others can share the details. I have always failed when I have started to do one as I am too used to having the right camera and lens and find it hard to unlearn protocols.

Read shots though.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jun 13 2014 13:52:44
    #

Login to Send PM

It appears to be the head piece? . . . Could it possibly be a missing head of one of the many headless lady bug bodies that has been posted on the forum?

Actually what you have posted is only the front part of a beetle, not a ladybird or ladybug beetle. It's the head and thorax of a click beetle, a member of the family Elateridae. The central elongated dark mark is on the top of the thorax. The eyes are evident, the antennae are missing on the section in front of this. Turn it over and there are 3 elongate sclerites from the base of the head; the central section comes to the 2 coxae where the 2 front legs attach. The elongate extensions at the rear of the thorax are very distinctive for click beetles and some other kinds of related beetles. So it's not the front end of the headless lady bug bodies.
    I hope it doesn't sprout if you add water, but it should grow some legs rather than roots and leaves.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jun 13 2014 15:15:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I so want to plant it but I always know on ID Lou is right.

Looks like beers are on me at the ESA if te poster is accepted.

David

5. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jun 13 2014 16:46:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Lou and David for your input!

Lou . . . look what I found once I received a little rousing in the right direction from you!:

CLICK BEETLE by picture account2012, on Flickr

There were a lot of images of different click beetles . . . but this one matched exactly (at least it looks like it does to me).

bed-bugscouk - 5 hours ago  » 
    . . . Nice to see your photography skills shine through. Maybe you would like to add some detail of how you took such clear images such as settings and preparations so that others can share the details.

David . . . I took the photos with my iphone4 (which is not very good – it doesn't even have the macro setting that Lou is always talking about – at least I haven't ever been able to find it). However, I use a very bright light (I think something like 500 watts or something like that) . . . and my 30x jewelers loop I have from when I worked in a jewelry store. (I do love love love me some diamonds!! (I cried for quite a while when I lost my one carat diamond solitaire necklace!!! . . . And I still haven't been able to replace it! ))

Anneeewaay . . . back on topic . . . I took this photo the same way. I can't even tell you how small this "bug" was!!! It was a little larger than a "speck" but not by much. I had the hardest time even getting a specimen! If I applied any pressure whatsoever it popped! I kept trying to get one on tape and they just kept crawling off because I couldn't apply any pressure! I thought it was probably a clover mite but the Amazing Lou Sorkin ID'd it as something else . . . (Sorry Lou I can't remember what but I think it started with an "e" or an "a" . . . I'm pretty sure it was a vowel!)

RED BUG by picture account2012, on Flickr

I keep trying to find the 60x microscope you told us about for iphone4s, but I haven't been able to find one yet, and I'm afraid as soon as I buy one I will upgrade my phone to the 5 or whatever is next! OH!!! Would you care to trade your 60x microscope for a shipment of banana moon pies?!?! In the words of Monty Hall . . ."Let's Make A Deal"!

bed-bugscouk - 1 hour ago  » 
    Looks like beers are on me at the ESA if te poster is accepted.
    David

Yay!!! Everybody "hear" that?! Yay!!! . . . Oh wait . . .you meant only Lou . . . didn't you?!

bed-bugscouk - 6 hours ago  » 
    I think this one may sprout if you apply water . . . .

loubugs - 2 hours ago  » 
    I hope it doesn't sprout if you add water, but it should grow some legs rather than roots and leaves.

bed-bugscouk - 1 hour ago  » 
    I so want to plant it but I always know on ID Lou is right.

Funny Guys!!!

Thanks again!!!

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jun 13 2014 17:31:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I have one of those cases and its lens that fit the iPhone 4. The click beetle is a species of Aeolus . The mite could be an erythraeid or something related to it.

7. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jun 13 2014 21:08:22
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 3 hours ago  » 
    I have one of those cases and its lens that fit the iPhone 4.

So Lou . . . what are you saying . . . that you want to play Let's Make a Deal with me?!

I'm game . . . just as long as it doesn't have anything to do with me being your "pets" breakfast, lunch and dinner! (I'm teasing you, just a little bit . . . it's an uncontrollable weakness of mine!)

loubugs - 3 hours ago  » 
    The click beetle is a species of Aeolus . The mite could be an erythraeid or something related to it.

Seriously, thanks again Lou . . .you are wonderful!!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,355 posts in 50,178 topics over 155 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993