ID possible BB, may be termite [a: booklouse]

(8 posts)
  1. MetalDust

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jun 27 2017 15:03:41
    #

Login to Send PM

We have a couple of confirmed pests, termites (frass and swarmers, over the past year) and a nymph roach sighting. We are pretty sure we also have bed bugs due to fecal stains on the base board behind the bed and bites. However, it's been a bit of a mystery. I'd like to post a little more with additional photos later, but before treatment this morning I found a small insect on a book. I barely got to snap a picture and it was gone, unfortunately. Our PCO couldn't tell by the photo. I have not seen any other live BBs, and would assume this is a fed nymph if it is one. I wish it was more clear because I didn't get a great look at it either. Seems really tiny and dark for a termite. Thanks in advance for the help!

close up
    original for size

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jun 27 2017 16:22:44
    #

Login to Send PM

No one guessed booklouse?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. MetalDust

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jul 22 2017 16:16:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the reply! I wasn't familiar with booklice. I guess the pest guy wasn't either, or was unsure due to blurriness. Do you think that is the most likely answer? I was hoping to not need to post more, however I'm still not sure that we are out of the woods for BBs.

We had our apartment treated a little over 3 weeks ago. It's been just over a month since my last severe bite, but now I have been getting a few tiny itchy bumps that disappear after a few hours starting 2 weeks ago. The severe bites started at the beginning of April and would always be spaced at least 2 weeks apart, the last few were 3 weeks. Always a solitary bite, once I had two (one on wrist and one on back). I started to wonder about bed bugs when my husband got a few bites at once two months after mine started. He has not had any reactions now for over a month.

The only BB evidence we had that lead to the treatment was feces on the baseboards. However, we have found lots of german cockroach nymphs, different sizes, mostly very small. I have seen photos that show the differences, but I understand that the droppings from the smallest roach nymphs could look similar. I have seen bigger pellet roach droppings in the bathroom cabinet as well. The BB(?) feces were on the baseboards under the head of my bed. I also found a casing that the pest guy confirmed to be a roach in that area, so I know roaches have been in that spot.

When prepping for our treatment I was very thorough. Laundered/dried/sealed all clothing and linens. Bagged everything up, out of the bedroom (didn't ever find any additional evidence). They sprayed temprid, igr, something else for the bed/metal bed frame, and dusted a little with cimexa (for mild cases they do just one treatment apparently, so that's what we got). I have done some of my own dusting with cimexa myself. We have hard floors throughout the unit, so that helps. I am currently concerned because of my new/different skin reactions and I *may* have found new fecal marks in the same baseboard area, but I can't be sure because I never completely removed/inspected the first set of evidence. Now I have, so anything new I see will be very obvious.

I am aware that skin reactions can't confirm anything but I figure it may help provide context. My severe bites (weeks apart and the one on my wrist got infected):
    Bite 1
    Bite 2
    Bite 3
    Bite 4
    Bite 5

Husband's bite (healing), he had two batches, just one and the 4 at once:
    Bite
    Another Bite

Feces under bed:
    Baseboard Feces
    Baseboard Feces Close up/smeared
    Color of paper towel after wiping up the remaining spots today

Roach evidence:
    Roach casing that I initially thought was BB related
    Larger roach nymph in bathroom, others have been smaller.
    Pest guy thought these were roach dropping in our bedroom closet above a shelf.

My latest tiny bite on foot that went away after a couple hours (came back briefly days later and went right back away):
    Bite

Sorry for the short novel, but any insight into our situation would be greatly appreciated. The continuing symptoms and the lack of thoroughness by our landlord with inspecting the neighboring units is concerning.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 23 2017 7:12:39
    #

Login to Send PM

MetalDust,
    Yes, booklouse. Keep monitoring for bed bugs, too.

5. MetalDust

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 23 2017 12:09:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you! I am definitely going to continue to monitor. Any idea on the fecal stains though? Seems to be pretty damming unless it could be nymph roach feces.

6. MetalDust

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jul 27 2017 11:27:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Bump - can anyone confirm the feces? If it's for sure bb or a chance that it could be from our tiny german roach nymphs? I would really appreciate it because I am continuing to get these little dissappearing bumps/hives. Thanks!

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jul 27 2017 11:55:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

faeces either fly or roach, not bed bugs.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  8. MetalDust

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jul 27 2017 12:01:04
    #

Login to Send PM

That would be great news. Just to clarify, you are referencing the pictures of the baseboards? (there was also the messy looking ones in the closet)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,394 posts in 50,185 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,432 members. Latest: Ladybug1993, PROJECTD168, Kimmmie46