(7 posts)
  1. welcometoNY

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Sep 4 2018 14:53:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello!

I moved to NY from Scotland about a month ago. I live in a sixth-floor walk-up and everything seemed to be fine until I saw a dead bed bug (or what I think is one) on top of the storage bins that hold my shoes about two weeks ago. I was calm for another week because I wasn't getting any bites until I kept seeing tiny black bugs in my bed (which I now realize probably weren't actually bed bugs).

But then I started to see little white larvae and one spot that looked like fecal matter (I'm almost 100% sure, because my sheets are white and I would look forever with a flashlight).

Anyway, I caught another live one about two days later (the Imgur picture in the plastic bag) and showed it to building management who sent in exterminators who did the first spray this past Saturday.

I'm attaching pictures of the 1st dead bed bug I found on top of my storage container, the second one I found crawling on my floor, and several of the smudges in my bed.

https://imgur.com/a/1h3li83
    https://imgur.com/a/hEqKgTB
    https://imgur.com/a/Nx2fS0h

HOWEVER, they didn't tell me to put my clothes away in plastic bags or anything like that (besides my bedsheets, which I washed that day, along with all my pjs) so I ended up doing all my washing on Monday, almost three days after the first spray. Everything is currently in black trash bags and I spent forever on Monday (yesterday) vacuuming. Threw out the vacuum afterwards because it didn't have bags, and threw out all my suitcase/fabric laundry baskets/extra towels/bathmats.

Oh, also I hadn't been bitten at all until yesterday, three days after the first spray. Which worried me. Although I know the bites sometimes take longer to react.

The follow-up extermination is on the 12th, but I was wondering if someone could properly ID these for me (the exterminator barely did) and give me some advice? I'm here alone and scared.

Thank you!

2. HifromChi

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Sep 4 2018 15:59:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert, but the pics you've posted of the dead bug found on shoe rack and the one caught on the floor, look like adult bed bugs to me.

Hopefully Lou (an expert here) can chime in soon.

Best of luck in your treatment going forward!

3. welcometoNY

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Sep 4 2018 16:21:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much! Glad I've already started treatment in that case.

Ugh such a pain.

But yes will wait to hear from Lou hopefully.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Sep 4 2018 21:38:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes. Out of focus, but bed bug. One or both look like males.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. welcometoNY

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Sep 5 2018 10:02:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Damn. Thank you though!

6. thirdusername

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Sep 6 2018 2:05:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope your treatments work.
    Keep looking and keep taking to the building management as necessary.
    Good luck.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  7. welcometoNY

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Sep 6 2018 16:38:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,657 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982