ID please (photos+videos) [a: book louse, minute brown scavenger beetle]

(10 posts)
  1. iamscared

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Oct 26 2016 12:00:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all,

I have come across these two different types of insects in my house - particularly on my walls (could be that they are visible against white walls) and even ceilings.

Please could you help ID them? I had an inkling that they are psocids but I have no mould/mildew in the house (but it is a new build).

Thank you.

Type 1: https://vid.me/yin3
    Type 1: http://imgur.com/a/imXpu

Type 2: https://vid.me/prHQ
    Type 2: http://imgur.com/a/squMr and http://imgur.com/1ea24kg

Please let me know if you need better photos. I think the videos show better resolution.

Many thanks for your help.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Oct 26 2016 12:12:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Two things, neither of which are bed bugs.

Top samples are Pscocids or Booklice - which may be an indicator of the cause of any skin reactions although they are not the direct cause.

The second appears to be a stored product beetle and is also not one to worry about.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. iamscared

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Oct 26 2016 13:28:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David for your reply!

I don't have any skin reactions but do see the specimens around the house - particularly in one area in the living room and the bathroom.

Could someone please ID the second insect? There is no stored products at my home (flour, grains etc.) so I am a bit worried what's bringing them in and if I have an infestation at hand.

Also - do either of these insects damage clothes, properties, foods etc.? Would really appreciate any advice on how to control/eliminate them, or where I can turn to for advice.

Please note - that my house humidity is average 45% and have trickle ventilations on the windows, and continuously run my bathroom ventilation.

Many thanks all.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Oct 26 2016 14:08:34
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi,
    Top samples are Pscocids or Booklice - which may be an indicator of the cause of any skin reactions although they are not the direct cause.
    The second appears to be a stored product beetle and is also not one to worry about.
    Hope that helps.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

Yes, first is a book louse and looks like a member of the Liposcelidae. The beetle is not a stored product beetle but a latridiid beetle, the minute brown scavenger beetles and it's Adistemia watsoni. Both insects are moisture related and mold or fungus related. Moisture does not have to be very wet to allow fungus to grow.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. iamscared

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Oct 26 2016 14:37:26
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 22 minutes ago  » 

Hi,
    Hope that helps.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

Yes, first is a book louse and looks like a member of the Liposcelidae. The beetle is not a stored product beetle but a latridiid beetle, the minute brown scavenger beetles and it's Adistemia watsoni. Both insects are moisture related and mold or fungus related. Moisture does not have to be very wet to allow fungus to grow.

Thanks Lou.

Quick questions -- There is no moisture and the RH inside is <45% on most days. What is causing them to come, where are they from, and how do I get rid of them?

Also - do I need to worry about either of them infesting/damaging my clothes and belongings?

6. Sleepless 487

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Oct 26 2016 15:42:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello
    https://imgur.com/gallery/oh6u6
    I am sorry if this seems out of place perhaps? I consider myself tech savvy but I'm having a heck of a time getting a pic or post on here.
    a PCO founf this upon inspection. Said he didn't think it was BB related as there was no other evidence in my entire home.
    And this piece of wood from the bed had previously been stored in a garage for upwards of four years. The entomologist PCO said the white parts are spider fences and the. Black is likely old as it did not run when hit with water and was hard to get off completely.
    I've had rash/ reactions limited to my lower body so far.
    And I have confirmed two types of carpet beetles.
    Another kind PCO who I've kept in touch with via phone said he thinks it's spider feces from the woods time spent outside.the piece has been on my bed for 3 years after that I don't normally look at these things, obviously. I am pregnant and very anxious about this.
    I think I will feel confident if an expert agrees with the two PCO and I can move on with my life. ( I hope)

Anyone agree or not!
    Thank you

7. Sleepless 487

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Oct 26 2016 15:43:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello
    https://imgur.com/gallery/oh6u6
    I am sorry if this seems out of place perhaps? I consider myself tech savvy but I'm having a heck of a time getting a pic or post on here.
    a PCO founf this upon inspection. Said he didn't think it was BB related as there was no other evidence in my entire home.
    And this piece of wood from the bed had previously been stored in a garage for upwards of four years. The entomologist PCO said the white parts are spider fences and the. Black is likely old as it did not run when hit with water and was hard to get off completely.
    I've had rash/ reactions limited to my lower body so far.
    And I have confirmed two types of carpet beetles.
    Another kind PCO who I've kept in touch with via phone said he thinks it's spider feces from the woods time spent outside.the piece has been on my bed for 3 years after that I don't normally look at these things, obviously. I am pregnant and very anxious about this.
    I think I will feel confident if an expert agrees with the two PCO and I can move on with my life. ( I hope)

Anyone agree or not!
    Thank you

8. iamscared

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2016 13:57:53
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 23 hours ago  » 

Hi,
    Hope that helps.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

Thanks Lou.

Quick questions -- There is no moisture and the RH inside is <45% on most days. What is causing them to come, where are they from, and how do I get rid of them?

Also - do I need to worry about either of them infesting/damaging my clothes and belongings?

// Shameless bump on this thread as it is likely that Sleepless487's posts pushed my questions behind. I'd also really appreciate if you or someone can suggest some control measures - any OTC sprays for either of the insects, so I can try to resume a normal life.

Encountering insects seem to take a heavy toll on me both emotionally and physically, and I have avoided even unpacking in the last month.

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Oct 30 2016 17:09:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Sleepless 487: please post your question on a separate thread and we'll answer there.

iamscared: the insects are within the walls, under the flooring, etc. The conditions there are more conducive to their life cycles than in the open. Some insects can be quite common, especially the book lice. Latridiid beetles, such as the species you have, are not as commonly encountered, Other species of latridiids can be more commonly encountered and I've been more familiar with those whose pictures most often get shown on this site. Their presence isn't that bad. An insecticide and even a powder formulation might be enough to drop the population, but there might be a moisture issue that has to be remediated before the insects can be properly controlled.

10. iamscared

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 31 2016 3:19:19
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 10 hours ago  » 
    Sleepless 487: please post your question on a separate thread and we'll answer there.
    iamscared: the insects are within the walls, under the flooring, etc. The conditions there are more conducive to their life cycles than in the open. Some insects can be quite common, especially the book lice. Latridiid beetles, such as the species you have, are not as commonly encountered, Other species of latridiids can be more commonly encountered and I've been more familiar with those whose pictures most often get shown on this site. Their presence isn't that bad. An insecticide and even a powder formulation might be enough to drop the population, but there might be a moisture issue that has to be remediated before the insects can be properly controlled.

Lou, thanks for continuing to offer your time and expertise. I understand that they are usually present where there is moisture issue but other than this being a newly converted building (so will need drying out, a challenge in winter ) there's no leaks or water issue.

I see them popping out at random places every day and I'm beginning to really feel the psychological stress now. I just want to lead a normal life and settle in.

Do I need to seek professional help for these pests? If not, could you please suggest a control measure - I.e are there off the shelf products for them? DE? Crawling insect powder?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,846 posts in 50,049 topics over 155 months by 21,878 of 22,364 members. Latest: Datnguyen, Mariam, GoingBananas