(7 posts)
  1. ughhiebuggie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Sep 8 2017 9:55:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there,

Frequent lurker, first time poster. I've been developing bites on my legs the past few days (some of them in close proximity), so I've been on the look out for bed bugs. Spotted the following on a pair of socks. Is this a bed bug molting?

https://imgur.com/a/RYNk5

2. HifromChi

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Sep 8 2017 10:36:57
    #

Login to Send PM

That is a carpet beetle larva skin see the link below for pics:

http://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/carpet-beetles-clothes-moths/carpet-beetles-clothes-moths.htm

Carpet beetles like munching on natural fabrics like wool and cotton and silk, but they've been known to make a snack of synthetic items too. They don't bite, but they can damage clothing in drawers and closets and can damage furniture as well. Vacuuming and regular washing of items that have sat in a drawer or closet too long is usually the best remedy. I find one every now and again.

Their hairs are are known to cause skin irritation, due to static drawing the wayward hairs they deposit around to the skin, they can get lodged in the skin like a pin and cause itching and redness.

The good news is, what you've found isn't a bed bug or bed bug cast skin.

HifromChi

3. ughhiebuggie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Sep 8 2017 10:54:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for this! Relief to know it's not a bed bug skin. But could it be the cause of itchy irritation like this? This appeared on my leg yesterday afternoon. I've had a few bites appear on my legs before this to, welting to different degrees.

https://m.imgur.com/a/zNiWJ

HifromChi - 15 minutes ago  » 
    http://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/carpet-beetles-clothes-moths/carpet-beetles-clothes-moths.htm
    Carpet beetles like munching on natural fabrics like wool and cotton and silk, but they've been known to make a snack of synthetic items too. They don't bite, but they can damage clothing in drawers and closets and can damage furniture as well. Vacuuming and regular washing of items that have sat in a drawer or closet too long is usually the best remedy. I find one every now and again.
    Their hairs are are known to cause skin irritation, due to static drawing the wayward hairs they deposit around to the skin, they can get lodged in the skin like a pin and cause itching and redness.
    HifromChi

4. HifromChi

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Sep 8 2017 11:11:57
    #

Login to Send PM

carpet beetle hair can definitely be the culprit, I've had skin irritation (bumps and a rash like response) when I've put on something that sat in a drawer too long during a season. I just put on a sweater this week (already cold in Chicago) that has been put away for the summer and didn't wash it first, wouldn't you know, I got a rash on my arms and back and when I cleaned out the drawer looking for a cause, I found carpet beetle skin. It doesn't affect everyone, but it definitely bothers my over-sensitive skin.

If I were you, just to be on the safe side, do a good bed check (top, bottoms, sides of the mattress, and between mattress and box spring, bottom of box spring if you are able), give all of the sheets, blankets and pillows a good washing in hot water and a good drying on high heat and put passive monitors AKA climb-ups under your bed legs (Amazon has them) and keep the bed from the walls a little (isolating it) and monitor for a couple of weeks, it helps with giving some peace of mind. I've found plenty of critters in the climb-ups: Spiders, centipedes, sowbugs, and of course, a carpet beetle or two, it helps you determine what is lurking around you and most important, what isn't. Hope that helps. I've used benedryl cream to help with my periodic bumps and rashes, it works pretty well.

5. ughhiebuggie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Sep 8 2017 11:17:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much!! This all started when I wore a pair of jeans I hadn't touched in months. Wouldn't be surprised if that unleashed something. Definitely gives me peace of mind that you had a similar type of bumpy / rashy reaction. My skin is absurdly sensitive too. I'm allergic to everything :/

Will invest in the climb-ups to play it safe. Already examining my bed like crazy every morning 😂

Thank you again!!!! Have a wonderful weekend

HifromChi - 3 minutes ago  » 
    carpet beetle hair can definitely be the culprit, I've had skin irritation (bumps and a rash like response) when I've put on something that sat in a drawer too long during a season. I just put on a sweater this week (already cold in Chicago) that has been put away for the summer and didn't wash it first, wouldn't you know, I got a rash on my arms and back and when I cleaned out the drawer looking for a cause, I found carpet beetle skin. It doesn't affect everyone, but it definitely bothers my over-sensitive skin.
    If I were you, just to be on the safe side, do a good bed check (top, bottoms, sides of the mattress, and between mattress and box spring, bottom of box spring if you are able), give all of the sheets, blankets and pillows a good washing in hot water and a good drying on high heat and put passive monitors AKA climb-ups under your bed legs (Amazon has them) and keep the bed from the walls a little (isolating it) and monitor for a couple of weeks, it helps with giving some peace of mind. I've found plenty of critters in the climb-ups: Spiders, centipedes, sowbugs, and of course, a carpet beetle or two, it helps you determine what is lurking around you and most important, what isn't. Hope that helps. I've used benedryl cream to help with my periodic bumps and rashes, it works pretty well.

6. HifromChi

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Sep 8 2017 11:20:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Not a problem, you have a great weekend too!

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Sep 8 2017 18:17:36
    #

Login to Send PM

HifromChi - 7 hours ago  » 
    HifromChi

Actually not all carpet beetle species are associated with skin irritation due to the hastisetae because not all have this type of seta. The one larval skin pictured in this post doesn't look like one of those species that is supposed to contain hastisetae. Of course, you can experience skin lesions for many reasons and not necessarily the "creatures" you find are the real culprits.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

274,668 posts in 45,062 topics over 137 months by 19,786 of 20,520 members. Latest: jennm11, jes510, Jessica107