ID please-hard round amber pellets [a: unknown]

(14 posts)
  1. Montrealer2

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jun 27 2015 12:36:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello fellow soldiers! 😕
    I cannot find definitive info on what I am finding everywhere in my BB-infested place: tiny round hard amber pellets--circular, uncrushable between fingers, no smearing when wet. These have shown up on closet floors, under infested furniture (wood dressers and fabric couches), on top of couch cushions, under my clean sheet before bed, and even in my bookcase, out in the open. I zap them with isopropyl alcohol solution (about 70%, watered down), and after about a minute they can be crushed; unless I am imagining this, what is revealed is a translucent/white tiny mass, which then dissolves with more alcohol.
    I don't have any clear pics, but the best I can describe it as is a larger pellet of yeast. Some are tiny, detected easily with a swipe of my hand across a surface, and others are larger, easily viewable. There is no obvious stickiness to secure them to whatever surface they have been left on.
    Is it possible that these are unhatched BB eggs? Infertile eggs? Dried dropping?
    I spotted one next to a more traditional BB egg (white, elongated, sticky), but otherwise, these mystery pellets are among their own kind (sometimes as much as 20 scattered across the surface of a couch cushion).
    Thank you in advance for whatever help you can offer. The info on this website has thus far been a G-d-send.
    -Montrealer

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jun 27 2015 13:02:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Really need a picture or example of pellet to review.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jun 27 2015 16:41:34
    #

Login to Send PM

If you are not sure how to post a photo, the post FAQs about the forums/How to use the forums covers this and other questions.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jun 27 2015 19:16:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Also post pictures of the bed bugs you are finding. If you are that infested, it should be pretty easy to do.

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  5. Montrealer2

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jun 28 2015 9:23:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Loubugs and Nobugsonme, thanks. I don't have good/clear photos yet, nor am I at home (the chemical spray used by the exterminator irritates my lungs), but when I return, I'll try to get some good shots of these amber/tan pellets.
    Robinsmom, I have yet to see any live bugs or shed exoskeletons, but the exterminator found several groupings of the elongated translucent/white eggs in my furniture, and the many trios of bite marks on my legs, feet, arms, hands, lower back and neck are pretty definitive that I don't think a bug pic is needed (is it?). From what I've read here and elsewhere, once these little monsters start making themselves comfortable outside of their hiding spots, then one *really* has problems. 😱
    Thanks, all, for your continued feedback.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jun 28 2015 12:01:45
    #

Login to Send PM

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/3357824570/
    You can see here the fecal material beads up on the plastic/vinyl slipper surface. Also pale metabolic waste, eggs, bugs in finger pull at rear of slipper.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/10277245706/
    Feces absorbed into the screen holes and shot against different colored backgrounds.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/2121937839/
    Feces absorbed into paper.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jun 28 2015 23:49:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hard Amber pellets don't sound like bed bug feces at all.

If only eggs were found, perhaps posting a photo of one of those may be useful to get an expert confirmation.

No fecal stains is strange. If you're getting lots of bites from bed bugs, fecal stains should be present because they defecate every time they bite.

Skin reactions are not proof of bed bugs because they can have other causes.

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 29 2015 4:45:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I have yet to see any live bugs or shed exoskeletons, but the exterminator found several groupings of the elongated translucent/white eggs in my furniture, and the many trios of bite marks on my legs, feet, arms, hands, lower back and neck are pretty definitive that I don't think a bug pic is needed (is it?). From what I've read here and elsewhere, once these little monsters start making themselves comfortable outside of their hiding spots, then one *really* has problems.
    Yes, it would be interesting to see what your exterminator really found. So many eggs yet no bugs. As Nobugs pointed out, "bites" are not definitive of bed bug activity since skin lesions/"bites" may have different origins and not necessarily from having been bitten. Their hiding spots or harborage areas are not restricted to space around your bed; some of it depends on your behavior and sleeping habits. Pellets of any shape and color are not indicative of anything bed bug.

9. Montrealer2

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jul 1 2015 21:33:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, and thanks for your comments. I finally returned to my place and again found a few amber/tan pellets. I was able to photograph one--here is a link to the images I uploaded to my new Flickr account:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/montrealer450/

Nobugsonme and Loubugs, I don't have pics of the eggs, unfortunately, but the exterminator does. (My device does not have high enough resolution to capture those images.) The eggs were behind my headboard.
    Also, I think there has been a miscommunication: I haven't seen bugs or exoskeletons (though I might have blasted a nymph escaping from my flashlight shone under a rug today!), but the underside of my night table drawer and crevices near my headboard are spotted with telltale dark fecal stains. I shudder to think how long I (and/or my cat) had been the buffet attraction for these buggers until I finally began waking up to this problem (literally, figuratively).

As an aside, I found these amber pellets in the blankets and on top of the mat my cat used at the bottom of two of his fave sleeping nooks...

Hope these pics offer some clues. I'll upload more -- including the fecal stains in my wood furniture and some on my couch -- if it helps.

Thanks very much for your help.

Montrealer

10. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jul 1 2015 22:36:20
    #

Login to Send PM

You might try bringing one of the "Amber pellets" to your cats veterinarian, because I'm wondering if they might be worm segments, if Lou rules out that they are bb-related. I really have no idea what they could be, just that's my idea.

11. Montrealer2

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 2 2015 1:32:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Lord, I hope that's not the case, Robinsmom! He's an indoor cat with outdoor access only to a private 5th-floor balcony, so I don't know how he could have gotten worms. (Perhaps those pesky squirrels everywhere, including their occasional dropping and urine pool on my balcony, which I wash with bleach regularly.)
    If it were worms, would these balls appear in places where he hasn't been, almost 2 weeks after I dropped him off with friends for safe-keeping, I wonder? I guess I should look into it -- thanks for the heads-up.
    Back to my nightmare for now...
    - Montrealer

12. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 2 2015 2:52:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Nope, if your cat isn't there, couldn't be that. Just an idea.

I think whatever it is needs looked at under a scope or something, just to make you feel better. You can buy mini microscopes for phones on Amazon. Hope you get some answers soon!!

13. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 2 2015 6:41:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't offer any further info on the amber pellets. They're a bit out of focus, but don't know what they are.

I don't have pics of the eggs, unfortunately, but the exterminator does. (My device does not have high enough resolution to capture those images.) The eggs were behind my headboard.
    I'd be interested in seeing the PCO pictures of eggs.

14. Montrealer2

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jul 4 2015 2:42:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Robinsmom, thanks for the info and help. I'll look into this for sure, especially since loubugs doesn't seem to think these pellets are related to the bedbugs.
    Loubugs, I don't have access to the PCO's pics, but maybe when (if) they return for another treatment -- not too impressed with them, as they said they need only one treatment with a follow-up call after a few weeks -- I will ask them to forward the image they took to me, and I will share it here. I took a (fuzzy) pic of the one egg I found on my open bookcase shelf, but I deleted it after showing it to the exterminator.
    So frustrating, but so heartening to have this website and forum to ask questions and seek answers.
    Thanks again, everyone.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,801 posts in 50,042 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen