Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

ID please: carpet beetle?

(5 posts)
  1. Scared88

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Oct 20 2017 11:37:03
    #

Login to Send PM

A week or two ago, my husband had bites all over his feet - he chalked them up to mosquitos because he had been outside bare foot for a while after a period of rains (and the mosquitos were insane, so I didn't think anything of it). Well Sunday night I woke up around 3:30am and noticed an itching sensation on my arm near my elbow and found what looked to be 2-3 bites in a row/cluster. I have been completely freaked out since then. I've torn apart my bed and not found any evidence of bed bugs. Have not been bitten again, but understand they may only need to feed 1x a week, so still waiting. Anyway, while searching for evidence, I found what I think is a carpet beetle (prior adult stage) attached to a sock behind my headboard (not on the bed, but on the floor - around the same area where I sleep). Again today, I found another one and bagged it and took a picture. I've read that these can cause a reaction that looks similar to bed bug bites. I've found these bugs randomly before, but never knew what they were. Any chance this could be the culprit? Even though I haven't found them IN my bed?? I will just die if we have bedbugs. But my husband says I'm overreacting and should just wait to see if it happens again.

2. Scared88

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Oct 20 2017 11:50:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Trying to post picture here: IMG_3425 by what what, on Flickr

3. Scared88

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Oct 20 2017 11:51:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Another pic: IMG_3426 by what what, on Flickr

4. Scared88

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Oct 20 2017 11:54:13
    #

Login to Send PM

This is a really bad picture of the bites, but they're mostly gone now, so I can't retake. Very very small, only itched first day. IMG_3404 by what what, on Flickr

5. Mawiwala

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Oct 21 2017 8:57:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Bug is a carpet beetle larva. Can't say anything about the skin reaction.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,715 posts in 48,877 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,861 members. Latest: NHbugs, nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver