Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

ID PLEASE & Checking in [a: book louse/psocid, cast skin, bed bug fecal, other]

(23 posts)
  1. Suzanne

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jun 22 2014 21:03:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey everyone - it's been a while. I wanted to check in and let ya'll know that I am feeling better. I have quieted the head bugs and even as I write this and get ready to post a pic, I am feeling calm. I hope you are all making it through!

I have owned a particular book of meditation for at least 15 years. Tonight as I was reading my daily meditation, the book came apart from it's binding (not surprising after years of use). However, stuck on the binding was a cast skin and some dark dots. I used BBBlue and the spots tested positive. Now rationally I think a. this must be a cast skin of a book louse b. how could it test positive? This book was never even near "ground zero" as we called the living room (the only place where any BB evidence was found).

So, do I work under the assumption that the dark matter that tested positive is just a fluke and yes, this is a book louse cast skin? The cast skin has a faint dot on it, but I did notice that in some book louse pics they characteristically have a spot on them.

The cast skin is not intact - it is clearly from the tail end of the bug, whatever it is. Here are some pics and one of the spot...you can see on the material of the book a smear where I tested and the one spot I left intact to take the picture. I appreciate you taking the time to look at this. God knows I've had the book for so long it could have been there forever!

https://flic.kr/p/o53wFF
    https://flic.kr/p/o4WfAW
    https://flic.kr/p/nMyi8J
    https://flic.kr/p/o4Kffe

2. Suzanne

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jun 22 2014 21:11:36
    #

Login to Send PM

3. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jun 22 2014 21:14:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert, but good luck Suzanne.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  4. Suzanne

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jun 22 2014 21:31:18
    #

Login to Send PM

that last one was a broken link https://flic.kr/p/nMyFRb

5. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 23 2014 15:56:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, I can't tell for sure from these photos.

Are these the absolute best photos you can provide ???

Any way you can post a better photo ?

If so, I'll look at it then.

pjb

6. Suzanne

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 23 2014 21:31:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm trying to take new ones now. I think bc it's so small the camera is having trouble focusing. I tried it with a magnifying glass and it didn't help. I have also uploaded a pic of a bug, found in the same room that the book was in. I THINK it's a book louse (please please please). I know these are inferior photos and I am very sorry about that.
    https://flic.kr/p/nNi7jU
    https://flic.kr/p/nNi6jP
    https://flic.kr/p/nNiPrc

7. Suzanne

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 23 2014 21:41:29
    #

Login to Send PM

missed this one - might be the best of the cast skin I have: https://flic.kr/p/nNiDeE

8. Suzanne

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 23 2014 21:43:31
    #

Login to Send PM

It would be nice if I finished before I hit send lol
    https://flic.kr/p/nMyFRb

Sincerely,
    Inferior Picture Uploader

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2014 8:25:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes it is faecal and yes it is a cast skin.

As there are few other signs I suspect that at some stage the book has been the refuge for a bedbug on at least 1 occasion and sometime after a meal as they left both faecal and a cast skin.

If it were still an issue you would find a lot more than you have.

As usual bedbug Blue was correct but the evidence only confirms a past infestation and nothing indicates a current issue.

Think of it as a false alarm and test of your skills.

Hope that makes sense.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  10. Suzanne

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2014 8:56:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you David (I think lol). I have to say that freaked me out a bit.

Is the bug a louse?

11. Suzanne

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2014 9:04:29
    #

Login to Send PM

and what's weird is that book has never been anywhere but in my bathroom, the farthest room in the house from any activity we (or our PCO) saw.

12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2014 9:45:58
    #

Login to Send PM

It's too bad you can't set your camera or phone on a higher setting with higher resolution. I see it's an iPhone 4.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  13. Suzanne

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2014 9:47:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou is there anyway you can tell what that bug is? I've tried everything to get a better pic!

14. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2014 9:56:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Suzanne,

Yes the bug is almost certainly a book louse or Pscocid.

Now back to framing. I shared with you that the book HAD bedbugs and that if it would still have an issue there would be a lot more sign than that.

I am not 100% sure you fully appreciate the implications of that. The HAD also means that the treatment IS / WAS / WILL BE (if needed) effective.

If we decided not to use anything with bedbug signs again then we would have no use for the 300 year old antique four poster beds and I can assure you that would be a massive same.

I have a few things precious in my life that if you look closely there may be a faecal trace or two. I even have books there the faecal deposits may actually be helping to keep it bound together.

Please be positive on this one and give yourself a pat on the back for good detection skills.

David

15. Suzanne

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2014 10:04:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok. I will. I promise. I will focus on the positive.

Thank you for the bug ID. At least I know it's not a live instar or something like that. I'm kind of sure that the book was IN the house when we chemical/heat treated. If it was, it probably received better treatment than the rest of the books because this one sits out as opposed to wedged on a shelf. I just think it's weird that this would be found in the bathroom - unless he went scurrying when they treated and found the book? Argh. I guess I could drive myself crazy trying to "guess" what a bug was thinking. I did throw it out, though.

It's just freaked me out a bit, that's all. I assumed it was book lice cast skin because the binding LITERALLY just fell apart in my hands.

Do you recommend a thorough investigation of the adjoining bedroom? More than my usual, check the seams, the sheets, the walls and joints of bed? Or should I just CTF (calm the *** down).

Good detective skills! hahaha - maybe I should give up teaching and come work for you.

16. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2014 10:14:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Suzanne,

I recommend nothing more than a sound monitoring strategy and less time worrying about every possible speck and fleck because you have an effective solution in place.

To put it into perspective when you find a Christmas tree needle under the back of the sofa in June can you assume its about to the Christmas?

Cast skins are the dander of the bedbug world and they will fall out years later.

As for coming to work for me yeah no worries, I have 4 nights of hosting coming up in a London apartment, its a small 1 - 10 bedbug situation but its best to start you at that level before you have to go sleep in a place with 1,000+. Although it has to be said induction training would cure you of your fear of bugs.

Hope that helps,

David

17. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2014 10:18:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Try using a lined paper or graph paper so maybe your phone will have an easier time of trying to focus. Then add the sample to it after you have mastered line pictures. Did you try going to the settings and see if you can change the resolution and picture size?

18. Suzanne

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2014 10:31:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I never thought of lined/graph paper! BRILLIANT! I will try again with your new method. I have a point and shoot camera but that thing takes worse pics than the iPhone 4. I looked at the settings, changed it to HD, but there are no other options. Maybe if I explain to my carrier about my photo needs they'll let me upgrade to the 5 for free!?

I would imagine your method would cure me of my bug issues; just the thought of it makes me want to run screaming from the building and I'm all the way here "across the pond."

I am going to turn off the search and destroy mode today. My son came to visit last week with his family and I tried to be so GOOD. They come back tonight for a 3 days stay. I will not let this ruin our visit. {rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat}

Now, I have to go flip the couches over and hide the dust catcher-thingy-who-sit in the garbage. Husband forbid me to remove them but seeing he never vacuums or looks under there he doesn't need to know! lol

19. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2014 10:31:34
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 5 minutes ago  » 
    As for coming to work for me yeah no worries, I have 4 nights of hosting coming up in a London apartment, its a small 1 - 10 bedbug situation but its best to start you at that level before you have to go sleep in a place with 1,000+. Although it has to be said induction training would cure you of your fear of bugs.

You, sir, are such a . . . ummmm . . . "meany"! But at least you didn't tell her she had to start off in the rotation of feeding your colonies!

Suzanne - 12 hours ago  » 
    . . . I tried it with a magnifying glass and it didn't help.

Suzanne, I've noticed in the past that a lot of your photos are usually blurry or really small (sorry if I'm wrong, I'm thinking that from memory, and well your latest ones also). I have an iphone 4 also. I can't for the life of me find a macro setting button or way to increase the resolution as Lou often suggests. (If I figure it out, or break down and ask someone I'll share the knowledge.) However, I have taken several photographs using a magnifying glass (although mine is a 30x jewelers loop). A magnifying glass has really worked for me. . . .maybe practice getting the subject in focus in the magnifying glass first and then take the picture? Sometimes I've had to prop the magnifying glass up because I didn't have enough hands to hold everything.

20. Suzanne

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2014 13:26:57
    #

Login to Send PM

ABS, I have tried everything to get this picture taking thing down to no avail. Some come out better than others and I can't figure out why. I just spent a half hour retaking and this is the best one: https://flic.kr/p/nMyFRb

Also, what the (&*%^& is this?!

https://flic.kr/p/o6edEn

21. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2014 15:40:13
    #

Login to Send PM

They're in plastic? That is a reason for them being out of focus, too. Did you try just the lined paper to see if you can get some in focus? The darker insect part and somewhat large is not a bed bug related piece. The light tan shed skin would be a good thing to see if it were in focus. Did you try taking pictures with just the lined paper and see how close you can get before it won't focus clearly? Try printed page, but not newsprint, to see if your iPhone can focus on it. This will give lots of crisp edges.

22. Suzanne

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2014 15:55:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I tried everything you recommended. I tried to take pics of it first before I stuck it on the tape (it's so small I was afraid I would lose it!), too but it is literally half the size of a grain of rice.

I'm going to keep trying. Maybe I can get my kids in on it and we can figure it out.

Thanks for looking at that other piece, too!

Breathing, moving, breathing, living, breathing, moving, breathing, living. lol

DAMN BUGS!

23. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2014 17:53:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, what the (&*%^& is this?!

https://flic.kr/p/o6edEn

I think part of an insect abdomen, maybe a stink bug.

I see your images are 72dpi. Can this setting be changed to make it higher?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,817 posts in 49,813 topics over 154 months by 21,802 of 22,268 members. Latest: MrBedbug, Pioneer47, laurabedbugs