Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

ID Please! [a: beetle parts]

(7 posts)
  1. nomorebuggs

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 9 2017 19:58:52
    #

Login to Send PM

So, backstory. Things have bern great at my moms since I moved back. I havent pulled from storage in two months and things were feeling normal again.

This weekend, I stayed with the guy I am dating. My first time at his place. I checked the mattress and around the boxspring (on floor, no frame) and night side table. All looked good. When I got home, my clothes went in the wash and bag and purse went into the packtite anyway, but as an afterthought. My bag was in my room for maybe 20 minutes before I decided to treat it. This was yesterday afternoon.

This morning, I awoke to a red, itchy welt that looked like a hive on my arm. Itching subsided with a wash and cortizone, but there is still a decent sized red bump. Didnt think much of it as we have had a few mosquitos in the house and I was outside the better part of yesterday. Fast forward to this evening.

I decided to wash my sheets. Upon pulling my comforter out of the washer, I saw this right on top of it. Sorry, it is only a fragment.

Top, with flash

Top, no flash

Underside

Top, natural light

My mom is dead set it isnt a bb. But, the shape looks like an adult male to me. It only has 4 ridges on the top before the leg joint, and every photo of adult bbs I looked up shows 6. There is also a tiny peak in the middle where the break is visible in photo 2 that I'm not sure is consistent, but could just be from damage.

Just looking for a possible ID, yes/no/possible bb. I saved the specimen if better photos are needed.

Not an expert. Any advice I give is information gleaned via anxiety-fueled research of credible sources and expert posts here. Please research all advice before treating and consult a professional.
  2. nomorebuggs

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 9 2017 20:00:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh no... images didnt work. Here are the links, same order.

https://flic.kr/p/VZz5ZN

https://flic.kr/p/VZz657

https://flic.kr/p/VZz5Zs

https://flic.kr/p/Wwkpd9

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jul 10 2017 2:58:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

100% not bed bug. Its a common one:

headless ladybug annotated by David Cain, on Flickr

I am not saying its ladybird in this case but its the same phenomena.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. nomorebuggs

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jul 10 2017 5:20:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you David. This is very helpful.

5. nomorebuggs

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jul 10 2017 5:33:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Just curious if it was more the shape that tells it's not a bb, or if the number of ridges is indicative too? We live in a wooded place and get a fair share of bugs, so any identification knowledge is super valuable.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jul 10 2017 6:21:09
    #

Login to Send PM

nomorebuggs - 44 minutes ago  » 
    Just curious if it was more the shape that tells it's not a bb, or if the number of ridges is indicative too? We live in a wooded place and get a fair share of bugs, so any identification knowledge is super valuable.

It looks like a beetle abdomen and there are some leg parts, too. The ventral section of the adult bed bug abdomen has a membranous area and there aren't continuous abdominal segments. The beetle segments are much more sclerotized than the bed bug segments. This description pertains to many beetle species, but there are many that it does not.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. nomorebuggs

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jul 10 2017 6:28:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Lou! I actually *just* self-ID'ed by chance. My cat was chasing a tiny black (carpet?) beetle so I scooped it up and squashed it. When I looked at it, the area under the wings matched this perfectly.

I appreciate all the help!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,355 posts in 50,178 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993