ID please [a: non-parasitic mites]

(22 posts)
  1. iamscared

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 14 2016 1:02:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello

I came across this three times in the last two weeks. It runs fairly quickly and very small. I am currently battling (psychologicaly) psocids and occasional minute brown beetle.

http://imgur.com/86Gh97N
    http://imgur.com/Cwb3fot
    http://imgur.com/vsCz9W5

Please ID and provide any information possible. Many thanks.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 14 2016 2:22:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I think those are mites but I'm not an expert so please wait for Lou to confirm and tell you if they could be parasitic mites.

In the meantime, have you had any issues with birds nesting in or on the home or with rodents?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. iamscared

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 14 2016 2:55:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Nobugsonme. I am really freaked out now.

It's a newly converted office building (100s of flats) so I wouldn't know if there were birds before but there's nothing I could find. It's a small 1 bed flat so I'd know if there was rodent or bird issue..

If it.helps 2 of the 3 of them were found in the bathroom. The one today was in the wash basin

I'm really distressed by the years of having some sort of issue with insects I don't know what I can possibly do beyond what I already do - not sitting on buses/tubes, not going to cinemas etc.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 14 2016 3:18:39
    #

Login to Send PM

It's hard to see the mites -- they're a bit cloudy, but they don't look like the typical ones that are parasitic on rodents and birds. They are just present and not biting?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. iamscared

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 14 2016 3:38:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi lou

Yes I've only seen them.thrice and they were just moving.I have uploaded a video I took. They weren't very good climbing on walls.

https://vid.me/Rewm

Please let me know what they are and what I should look to do. Between the psocids issue and the minute beetle I am already goig insane so any suggestions you can give would be very appreciated.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 14 2016 7:23:25
    #

Login to Send PM

It wouldn't surprise me since book lice and the small beetle (fungus type) are moisture related, the mite is also one related to that environment. It's not one of the parasitic ones that are normally found associated with birds or rodents.

7. iamscared

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 14 2016 19:38:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Please please can someone help me. I am about to lose my mind and I am beginning to feel really scared to even walk or sleep.

I just another one now this time on the skirting board in the bedroom and I don't know what to do now. Can someone please ID this for me and let me know what I should do next.

http://imgur.com/vaayM8p
    http://imgur.com/WOojGLe
    http://imgur.com/EG2Mm6b

8. iamscared

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 15 2016 3:27:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Just to add to my previous post - am I right in thinking notes don't have antennae but in the photo it looks like it does?

9. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 15 2016 3:35:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. I am not an expert but it is definitely NOT a bedbug. One of our experts will probably see your post and ID he insect.

10. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 15 2016 9:27:52
    #

Login to Send PM

iamscared - 5 hours ago  » 
    Just to add to my previous post - am I right in thinking notes don't have antennae but in the photo it looks like it does?

Did you read my posts? Why are you over reacting? These are not bed bugs, not parasitic mites. The pictures aren't clear to be able to see structures on the mites' bodies, but it doesn't matter since these aren't feeding on you. No antennae because not an insect. Front legs are a little bit elongate. You haven't found them on you, right? They are just crawling around.

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 15 2016 9:54:14
    #

Login to Send PM

You have no reason to be concerned. As Lou said the insects and mites you found are all moisture related, NOT parasitic. They are not biting you.

12. iamscared

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 15 2016 11:57:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Guys thanks for your post. My reaction and concern stems from not being able to live normally and struggling to find a way to get rid of the psocids and the minute beetle. seeing another insect type doesn't really help with my situation.

Can I please ask how you are able to tell they aren't parasitic? I don't see any similar images online just bird and rat mites and I couldn't find any mites that are only moisture related. Also, I don't think I'd know if they bit me or not!

Finally I have checked and checked and checked, there is simply no moisture or leaks in my house and the humidity is always below 45% RH.

13. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 15 2016 15:19:31
    #

Login to Send PM

You need a focused image of the mite. Look at the typical parasitic species and you will see what the body composition is, what types of scutation there are.

14. iamscared

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 15 2016 17:58:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I am really really sorry to ask so many questions. I am really grateful for your help, but I am honestly terrified to even be home anymore. I know it may seem like an over-reaction, but I am going through sudden anxiety and depression because of this situation.

I recently moved to this house and pay the high rent for the sole reason that it is a new house, so as to avoid the possibility of bed bug infestation from a previous tenant. So seeing insects is really putting me under enormous emotional and psychological distress.

Can you please let me know if you are certain that this is not a parasitic mite or if you are still unsure (after seeing the photo and the video)?

Can you also please tell me what product I should use to tackle the psocids and minute beetle situation? Rentokil PSI36 Insectrol Insect Killer - contains Permethrin and d-Allethrin -- is this suitable for these insects?

I read on a post from David that using pesticides on your own could make mite infestation worse, so please could you share your professional opinion on what I should do in my situation.

This is now month 3 and I can't keep living this way.

I know many people here go through more serious infestations, but I am just not mentally equipped at the moment to handle this because of a lot of personal issues. I apologise if my post causes any distress to others reading this.

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 15 2016 20:33:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou is an entomologist and knowing him, he wouldn't tell you these were non-parasitic mites unless that was correct. He's very careful because he knows it matters.

I understand you're depressed and anxious, but I hope you'd find it reassuring that the insects you find are quite common and not a serious problem (unless I missed something in terms of the numbers). When we look for bed bugs, we often find lots of insects. Psocids and beetles are found in many if not most homes.

Can you get a professional to treat? If so, this may be the best course of action.

I can't advise on pesticides, but I will suggest you seek support/treatment for anxiety and depression if you haven't yet. Many here have done so and found it effective.

16. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 16 2016 7:09:09
    #

Login to Send PM

A new house? Recently built? Sometimes many insects and mites are introduced along with the wood and other construction materials and they crawl about because they are in a new place and trying to find a better environment that they're used to.

17. iamscared

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 16 2016 16:25:01
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 9 hours ago  » 
    A new house? Recently built? Sometimes many insects and mites are introduced along with the wood and other construction materials and they crawl about because they are in a new place and trying to find a better environment that they're used to.

Yeah Lou. It's a converted office building which has been repurposed for about 100 residential flats. The walls floorboard skirting etc are all new and the "old building" is essentially behind all the new items.

Can you please suggest if Permethrin and d-Allethrin would help me for this? (insectrol)

18. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 16 2016 18:12:19
    #

Login to Send PM

iamscared - 1 hour ago  » 

loubugs - 9 hours ago  » 

Yeah Lou. It's a converted office building which has been repurposed for about 100 residential flats. The walls floorboard skirting etc are all new and the "old building" is essentially behind all the new items.
    Can you please suggest if Permethrin and d-Allethrin would help me for this? (insectrol)

Makes sense. The insect populations live in the old structure and crawls into the new one where you live.
    I'm not sure how the insecticide laws are where you live, but the insect normally has to be on the label to use the product. Sometimes the site is on the label and it is fine to use the product on the insect pests found there.

19. Livingagain

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 16 2016 19:43:26
    #

Login to Send PM

You should be grateful that that's all you have. People suffering with bed bugs would be shouting and dancing for joy that they only had non-parasitic mites or whatever.

20. iamscared

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Nov 20 2016 16:14:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Found another one and this time took some very close ups. As close as I can get before it blurs and a very short video to show how it moves.

Can anyone ID? Lou - are these better photo for you to confirm?
    http://imgur.com/p9b0OJb

Video : https://vid.me/6TfM

21. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Nov 20 2016 17:48:42
    #

Login to Send PM

iamscared - 1 hour ago  » 
    Found another one and this time took some very close ups. As close as I can get before it blurs and a very short video to show how it moves.
    Can anyone ID? Lou - are these better photo for you to confirm?
    http://imgur.com/p9b0OJb
    Video : https://vid.me/6TfM

Still look like the non-parasitic mites, a soil-dwelling mite.

22. iamscared

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Nov 20 2016 18:25:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks a lot Lou. I have no soil in my flat and it's 2 floors above ground - how could I possibly get soil mite? Are they household pest or is it "normal" to find a few ?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,850 posts in 50,050 topics over 155 months by 21,878 of 22,364 members. Latest: Datnguyen, Mariam, GoingBananas