ID please? [a: latridiid beetle and book louse; additional photos added]

(10 posts)
  1. iamscared

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 18 2016 18:14:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all

I have just moved into a new build a few weeks ago and I was extremely (borderline crazy) careful about my contents and bagging them to avoid any risk during moving.

I just noticed a small insect on my white wall today. Please could you ID this as I am pretty anxious now. I found a few near the floorboard in my bedroom so got really worried.

Really sorry if the photo isn't very clear I didn't realise it wasn't high resolution until after.

Many thanks

http://m.imgur.com/oQ4wuPw
    http://m.imgur.com/5ApHp25

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 19 2016 1:13:47
    #

Login to Send PM

The shape is wrong for a bed bug. Wait for an expert to confirm.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. iamscared

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 19 2016 1:49:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks nobugsonme. I'm really hoping to not start reacting and regress to how I was until a few months ago. It's so unfair that I had to find an insect in my new place.

Really hoping for a confirmed ID from an expert.

Many thanks.

4. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 19 2016 9:30:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Poor pix, but I concur with Nobugs in that it is not a bed bug.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 19 2016 12:40:57
    #

Login to Send PM

iamscared - 10 hours ago  » 
    Thanks nobugsonme. I'm really hoping to not start reacting and regress to how I was until a few months ago. It's so unfair that I had to find an insect in my new place.
    Really hoping for a confirmed ID from an expert.
    Many thanks.

No, not a bed bug. It's a small beetle but picture really isn't in focus. It looks most like one of the Latridiidae, the minute brown scavenger beetles. These are associated with their food source, typically some type of mold or fungus. There could be a moisture issue in the environment.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. iamscared

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 19 2016 13:21:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your reply Lou and for confirming not a bed bug.

I found another one and took another photo: http://imgur.com/mizsVqe

This seemed close to what I saw in my previous when I first moved in (also was a new build house) and I was told in this forum that it was a psoscid. Is that the case now or is it the beetle you mentioned? If latter, is it problematic and do I need to do anything?

FYI This is a brand new build so could it be to do with moisture from the building materials?

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 19 2016 13:57:25
    #

Login to Send PM

iamscared - 26 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for your reply Lou and for confirming not a bed bug.
    I found another one and took another photo: http://imgur.com/mizsVqe
    This seemed close to what I saw in my previous when I first moved in (also was a new build house) and I was told in this forum that it was a psoscid. Is that the case now or is it the beetle you mentioned? If latter, is it problematic and do I need to do anything?
    FYI This is a brand new build so could it be to do with moisture from the building materials?

This one is a book louse (psoscid). The others are out of focus and look like the small beetle and both insects are moisture loving, feeding on very much the same materials. If they turn out to be book lice when others are located or if the focus could be fixed, then I wouldn't be surprised. I'd update my initial determination from a minute brown scavenger beetle to book louse. For this thread, probably best to list answer as book louse or latridiid beetle, focused image required. We'll see what nobugsonme does.

8. iamscared

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 19 2016 15:29:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Lou.

I am finding more on the walls - now in the living room. It's beginning to worry me now whether there is an infestation. Like I said this is a new house so there shouldn't be any mould. Maybe I haven't ventilated the room enough?

Please can you see this and let me know if this is clear enough to identify? Could you please let me know if they can be controlled and if they pose any risk to me or my belongings?

http://m.imgur.com/JgCakeh
    http://m.imgur.com/dBjxNKC

I moved it with a tissue so it's legs got messed up I think.

I am beginning to feel really anxious and tired of this.

Thanks a lot for your help. I really really appreciate it.

9. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Sep 21 2016 7:36:54
    #

Login to Send PM

You might want to check on a moisture issue around that area as it is sometimes conducive to psocids.

10. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Sep 21 2016 8:17:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Could you tell me something about your picture settings? All seem to be not crisp. Maybe it's difficult for it to focus on the insects? Try focusing further away and then closer. Can you spread fingers on the screen and have it increase magnification? One picture from the last posting looks like a beetle, but almost more like a saw-toothed grain beetle and not like a latridiid. A stored food product beetle would be in dry foods, dried nuts, dried fruits, dry dog food, seeds, rodent baits, things like that. The latridiids and book lice need more moisture and molds upon which they feed. Book lice can be in dried food products, too. The latridiids and psocids associate with areas of higher moisture that may be within walls, around seeping or sweating pipes, leaky and damp window frames.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,692 posts in 50,016 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur