ID please [a: not bed bug; Anthrenus likely]

(7 posts)
  1. fml_ihavebedbugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri May 1 2015 3:34:23
    #

Login to Send PM

So I've survived bed bugs once before. And just moved to a new city. Been living in this new apartment for 3 months now with no problems, until recently where I started getting bites and rashes on my body every 4 days. The welts and bites match with what I used to experience with bed bugs a few years ago. I checked my mattress, bed lining, etc and haven't found any bugs or fecal/blood stains. However, I just discovered this cast skin near my bed. Can someone help me ID it?

I'm thinking maybe carpet beetle but not 100% sure.
    If it is carpet beetle, is it a much easier and simpler problem to deal with?

Thanks everyone!

Here are the photos showing both sides of the skin to ID:

http://postimg.org/image/ognslvg0h/

http://postimg.org/image/qhccfg2u1/

2. paranoidaboutbugs

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri May 1 2015 3:58:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm no expert, but whatever it is, it doesn't look like a bed bug... Yay not a bed bug. Please wait for expert to confirm~

Let's get down the business... to defeat... the bugs. HWAH!
  3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri May 1 2015 5:13:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Confirming 100% not bedbug and neither is it carpet beetles.

It appears long dead and desiccated so unless you are finding live ones its unlikley to be the cause of the issue.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri May 1 2015 12:09:03
    #

Login to Send PM

A guess. Not quite 100%, but could be a cockroach or silverfish. A closer view, in focus, would be great. If it doesn't work on autofocus, then try manual focus. You might have to use lined paper - it's possible that the camera is focusing on the coin rather than the insect.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. fml_ihavebedbugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri May 1 2015 18:40:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Here are a few more photos.
    Some exterminators believe it might be a female pregnant one. So now I'm really worried.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 2 2015 9:57:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Some exterminators believe it might be a female pregnant one.
    I wouldn't hire them, they are obviously incompetent. Pictures are better, but are still dark and difficult to zoom in and still be crisp. It could be a dried carpet beetle larva, something like a rubbed species of Anthrenus. So at this point, not a bed bug. Creature is very dried and has debris stuck on the rear. I think it's narrowed to dried, denuded carpet beetle larva or dried silverfish with caudal filaments broken/missing. Anthrenus so far is winning out. A look at the actual specimen would easily clear this up.

7. fml_ihavebedbugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 2 2015 13:52:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much loubugs and David Cain!
    I'm thinking it might be carpet beetle larvae. The only thing is that I don't see hairs on the specimen. If it is carpet beetle, then that might explain the rashes as allergic skin reactions and not actual bites. This sounds promising!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,399 posts in 50,188 topics over 156 months by 21,933 of 22,434 members. Latest: Kimmmie46, esedndwi, Help123