(3 posts)
  1. Anthony_UK

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 11:07:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

TL;DR, does this look like a bed bug shell? I've had a google and can't be sure if its a bed bug or a carpet beetle.

https://imgur.com/TlECUqU

It's fairly small (2-3mm), I'm using a DSLR camera with the lense back to front hence the slight issue of focus. Was found on the fabric that holds my slats in place.

Been having bites for 3-4 weeks now but recently they are getting worse. More info below but not really relevant to the question, though if you want to have a read it might shed more light on the history and why I'm not convinced its bed bugs.

-Moved into a new house in January
    -Dismantled all old furniture, did not notice any bugs
    -Purchased no new furniture except a sofa downstairs (brand new)
    -Started having the odd bite in June but only single bites. Took my bedroom apart and couldn't find any evidence.
    -Never found bloodstains or fecal matter on the bed or anywhere except the odd bloodstain where I know an existing bit was scabbed and probably came off overnight
    -I seem to get bitten more during the day
    -Just this weekend they've gone from the odd bite into a collection of "threes"
    Now how I got them is anyones guess but did a few things in one week at the beginning of June;

1) Stayed in a hotel - but the other guy (seperate bed - stag event) hasn't had problems
    2) Bought a second hand car
    3) Bought some cheap t-shirts from Ebay
    4) Started cycling again. This is relevant because I notice I'm getting bitten more when I cycle. In the UK it's been a bit warmer than usual so there are insects everywhere.

But I've never found a bedbug, nor have I seen fecal matter. No one has shared my bed since I moved house, nor have I shared anyone elses.

Hope you can confirm if it's a bed bug or not!

Thanks

Anthony

2. Anthony_UK

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 11:24:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Additionally...

https://imgur.com/a/DotLYGc

Apparently Carpet Beetles eat organic textiles... Notice the holes in my sheet directly where the shell was found? Shell is centre bottom of the picture, left of the central slat.

Not that I'm trying to convince myself!

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 11:51:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, that is the cast skin of a carpet beetle.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,557 posts in 46,602 topics over 142 months by 20,554 of 21,420 members. Latest: TRAY, tjg, jm1985