Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

ID of possible fecal stains and nymph(?)

(5 posts)
  1. NotParanoid

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Nov 22 2017 18:20:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been really frustrated for a while. Back in July, I suddenly developed a large, severe rash on my leg that I ended up having to go urgent care for because of how swollen and painful it was. It was hard to tell if it was from bug bites, but once the swelling started to go down, I was able to tell that there were a few spread out red spots that looked like they probably were bites of some kind. I was a little nervous about the possibility of bed bugs then, so I examined my bed and bedroom very carefully. I saw a couple things that looked like they could maybe be fecal spots on my sheets and bed slats, but it was hard to tell because of how mild they were and because I had no idea how long they'd been there. I decided to keep an eye on things. I didn't get a monitor, but I did try some sticky traps that I put under my mattress, which I understand can be hit or miss.

I didn't have much trouble with bites after that. Between July and November, I only got a couple bites on my legs that were even remotely similar to what I had in July (much smaller and milder, but still itchy rashes). I still wasn't seeing any definite signs of bugs, so I tried not to worry too much about the bites, especially since it was summer and I was outside a lot.

Suddenly, around the start of November, I got a sudden spate of bug bites spread out between by legs, waist, and neck. I noticed a new bite every day or two for about a week, and I tended to notice them mid-afternoon (which I know doesn't mean much since a lot of bug bites can have a delayed reaction). I became concerned again and have been keeping an eye out. I went about a week and a half with no bites, but then the other day I discovered a new itchy red bite on my ankle. I'm seriously discouraged.

I still haven't seen any signs that I consider obvious, but tonight I found a couple things that alarmed me. One, I found a couple black spots on the backboard of my bed that I worry could be fecal. Two, I found something in my bed that might just be a piece of dirt, but I'm not sure if it might be a nymph.

The pictures:

Spots on bed slat (old--I discovered this back in July. They don't seem to smear): https://imgur.com/MYDDbtj

Old spot on sheet, 1 (Found in July. Does not seem to smear, and it hasn't come out in the wash: https://imgur.com/BOYmIzo

Old spot on sheet, 2 (Ditto from above): https://imgur.com/X4UXgfj

The spot on my bed, that I found today (hard to tell if it's actually new or not): https://imgur.com/ccsTQ93

The "nymph," captured in tape: https://imgur.com/4ZfZBB9 (I understand this isn't the best photo, and I'm not sure if the tape helps. I didn't want to lose it, though, just in case.)

I've examined my bed and mattress and just don't see much. Nothing that I'd consider definitive based on my research.

A few other things:

1. I've found a lot of carpet beetle larva in my house. I know they don't bite but can cause reactions. I don't know how likely it is that they'd get in my bed or in my clothes, though.

2. I do plan to get a monitor at this point. I was also going to try isolating my bed, but I don't know how to find out if bugs are living in the bed frame itself.

3. I live with my mother, and unfortunately she hasn't been very helpful. She's taking me a little more seriously now that I've been bitten more, but she's dead set against hiring an exterminator. I think I'm better off investigating myself and re-approaching the issue with her if bed bugs seem likely.

4. I live in a single-family home, have not stayed in a hotel/another person's house in years, and haven't had guests in a long time, so I haven't been exposed to the best of my knowledge. But I do take public transportation.

Thank you for letting me vent and post my photos. I keep hoping it's not bed bugs, but I'm worried the signs point to it.

2. NotParanoid

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Nov 22 2017 18:35:38
    #

Login to Send PM

A quick update: I was able to borrow a strong magnifier from my mother to look at the "nymph" more closely, and it doesn't have any visibly bug-like features (no legs or head, no sign of a segmented body). So I think that one is likely not bug-related.

Also, I should probably mention that I did find a blood spot on my pillow a couple weeks ago, but I hesitate to consider that evidence because I had a cut on my cheek at the time that would bleed occasionally. No other blood spots/trails.

3. thirdusername

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Nov 22 2017 19:16:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I concur, the "nymph" looks like fluff or a blood spot.
    Some exterminates do free inspections so I would get that.
    You usually need evidence like fecal stains or live bugs to get treatment.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  4. NotParanoid

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Nov 22 2017 19:42:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your thoughts. I think one of my main frustrations is that I have no idea if the spots I found are enough to worry about on their own. I don't want to ignore signs of a small/beginning infestation, but I don't want to freak out over something that might just be a bit of mold or a stain from a pen or something. Like I said, I'm hoping to get a monitor soon, and maybe that'll help.

The exterminator issue is less the cost and more that my mother doesn't trust them and is always dead-set against seeking professional assistance with things unless she has no other choice. She also doesn't believe that bed bugs are likely, but this is an opinion she's come to without any reading up on the issue. I'm trying to be realistic. I'm trying not to lose sleep over it or jump to conclusions, but I know it is possible and it's hard not to be a little stressed.

5. thirdusername

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Nov 23 2017 12:26:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I guess all you can do is monitor when you can and try not to worry until/if you get proof.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982