ID Needed! Thanks in advance....

(10 posts)
  1. death2allbedbugs

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri Mar 30 2018 17:06:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey guys, I just wanted to say thanks for all the help, knowledge, and resources this site has provided over the years.

Anyway, I was cleaning my room this morning and found these on the floor.

One near my bed, the other two near my chair.

Strangely however, they were already dead, and I don't think I killed them. At least not intentionally.

They kind of seem like shed cast skins (not the actual bugs) to me, which is confusing to say the least. This is because they sort of resemble bed bugs (the actual bugs) to me, but not quite like actual shed cast skins I've seen previously. If they are shed cast skins, they seem much darker than I've seen before. I am certain they would crumble a bit if I decided to try and dissect them a bit, though.

Because of this I need help from some experts. I apologize for the lackluster image quality, as my camera is certainly not the best.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

https://imgur.com/a/YzpjA

https://imgur.com/2owHtO2

2. death2allbedbugs

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri Mar 30 2018 18:16:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, if someone could further enhance the images, it would be greatly appreciated. When I attempted to, I ended up making the images worse, so I just left them untouched.

If it turns out that I do in fact have bedbugs, can I use Raid Flea/Bedbug Spray? Is it effective, or not really? It's one of those things I always see in retail stores and supermarkets, but never really see people discuss online, although I do know to stay away from things like Hotshot. Should I forget about Raid altogether, and just stick to things like steaming, and using D/E or Cimexa??

Thanks again for further input!!

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun Apr 1 2018 16:44:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Not a bed bug. A carpet beetle.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. death2allbedbugs

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun Apr 1 2018 18:22:06
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 1 hour ago  » 

Dear Mr. Sorkin,

Your response is greatly appreciated. I will sleep much better tonight thanks to you.

Also, just for future reference, may I ask? What gave it away? I will be sure to spread your knowledge so others may learn from my confusion...

Thanks again, have a good one!

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun Apr 1 2018 19:48:46
    #

Login to Send PM

death2allbedbugs - 1 hour ago  » 

loubugs - 1 hour ago  » 

Dear Mr. Sorkin,
    Your response is greatly appreciated. I will sleep much better tonight thanks to you.
    Also, just for future reference, may I ask? What gave it away? I will be sure to spread your knowledge so others may learn from my confusion...
    Thanks again, have a good one!

It looks like a carpet beetle and not like a bed bug. Take a look at some of my pictures.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/

6. death2allbedbugs

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Apr 11 2018 9:38:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your feedback. That collection is incredible, and truly invaluable!

Just wondering, since it's apparently not a bedbug, would you happen to know what the scientific name for this insect is?

Also, would you mind checking out these new pictures for me? There are 2 in the same link.

I suspect it is the same kind of bug, but if not, I just want to be sure.

https://imgur.com/a/Ma8fd

This time it is fully in tact, I found it by my pillow.

It's also worth mentioning that in the pictures, the back end kind of resembles wings, but only under the camera flash, not quite under normal lighting.

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Apr 11 2018 11:10:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Just wondering, since it's apparently not a bedbug, would you happen to know what the scientific name for this insect is?
    Also, would you mind checking out these new pictures for me? There are 2 in the same link.
    It's also worth mentioning that in the pictures, the back end kind of resembles wings, but only under the camera flash, not quite under normal lighting.

It looks like a carpet beetle, but with the wing covers (elytra) missing so you can see the HW, flight wings.

8. death2allbedbugs

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Apr 11 2018 11:53:49
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 41 minutes ago  » 

It looks like a carpet beetle, but with the wing covers (elytra) missing so you can see the HW, flight wings.

Is it normal, or even common for these beetles to lose or shed their elytra?

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Apr 11 2018 17:36:48
    #

Login to Send PM

death2allbedbugs - 5 hours ago  » 

loubugs - 41 minutes ago  » 

Is it normal, or even common for these beetles to lose or shed their elytra?

Not lost or definitely not shed purposefully. Molting occurs in the immature stage, the larval stage. This specimen is an adult. Parts can break off after death.

10. rca

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Apr 17 2018 15:45:15
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs
    Take a look at some of my pictures.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/

Thank you for sharing your pics of bed bugs

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,253 posts in 46,266 topics over 141 months by 20,394 of 21,225 members. Latest: Llorenzaccio, morgan, mojo172