(19 posts)
  1. stellaradnama

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 1 2015 10:00:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All -
    What do you think of this bug? You can click for full size to zoom in. From the side, it's not flat - more rounded.
    DSC_6694 by afadehoyos, on Flickr

2. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 1 2015 10:05:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi stellaradnama,

Sorry you didn't get a response in your previous thread, I should have bumped that for you! . . . And that's a tough one to call based on that photo alone . . . It doesn't look like a bed bug to me . . .

But this is one for the amazing, all knowing, super sharp Lou!! . . . Although the picture isn't very good, I've seen him ID worse pics! So, hopefully, he will be able to help you!

3. stellaradnama

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 1 2015 10:07:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks AbsFr -
    I haven't thought so either, but I have sent the same pic to two PCOs and they both said (within 5 minutes of me sending) that yes, it most definitely is. That just seems so fast and suspicious to me. These are both well-reviewed companies in a large city. Just not sure about who to trust

4. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 1 2015 10:08:46
    #

Login to Send PM

stellaradnama -  » 
    Thanks AbsFr -
    I haven't thought so either, but I have sent the same pic to two PCOs and they both said (within 5 minutes of me sending) that yes, it most definitely is. That just seems so fast and suspicious to me. These are both well-reviewed companies in a large city. Just not sure about who to trust

Let's see what Lou has to say about if he can ID from the photo. If not, do you still have the bug so maybe you could send it to him, if he's ok with that?

5. stellaradnama

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 1 2015 10:11:09
    #

Login to Send PM

AbsolutelyFreaking - 34 seconds ago  » 

stellaradnama -  » 
    Thanks AbsFr -

Let's see what Lou has to say about if he can ID from the photo. If not, do you still have the bug so maybe you could send it to him, if he's ok with that?

I do have it, but it deteriorated on the tape (after it died I guess). I caught it about a week ago. I have since put climbups on my bed, but my daughter's bed and couch have feet that are too big for them (stupid me for not measuring before I ordered). I also found what we are pretty certain is a chigger in my daughter's room. Bright red, very fast. This guy pictured was crawling pretty slowly when I found it under my daughter's pillow.

6. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 1 2015 10:19:42
    #

Login to Send PM

stellaradnama -  » 
    I do have it, but it deteriorated on the tape (after it died I guess). I caught it about a week ago.

Well if it comes to that, Lou still might be able to tell . . . deterioration and all!

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 1 2015 10:41:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Not a bed bug nymph. It's a mite. Not a species of chigger, but a nest associate type of parasitic mite. Do you have a rodent or bird problem? It (and others) only feed on blood and normally stay with the host bird or rodent. Occasionally they get into homes because the nesting site is nearby and the mites are hungry. Your daughter has skin reaction?
    A chigger is a different type of mite and the parasitic phase is in the larval stage.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  8. stellaradnama

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 1 2015 19:20:18
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 7 hours ago  » 
    Not a bed bug nymph. It's a mite. Not a species of chigger, but a nest associate type of parasitic mite. Do you have a rodent or bird problem? It (and others) only feed on blood and normally stay with the host bird or rodent. Occasionally they get into homes because the nesting site is nearby and the mites are hungry. Your daughter has skin reaction?
    A chigger is a different type of mite and the parasitic phase is in the larval stage.

I wish I had seen this earlier today! My email must have hid it from me. Lou thanks so much for your input, I have been suspicious of a mite like that all along. We live on the second floor of a duplex. I know for sure we have possums around, as I have seen them going under the house near the trash cans ( all directly below the two bedrooms). The house is old with lots of gaps, etc. We haven't had any other issues with them or birds nests.

Yes, my daughter and I have both had bites/reactions. They are intensely itchy, burning and stay for several days. Common areas are waistline and around bra straps for me, basically places where there is an edge of fabric. About a month ago these started- went to the doctor who gave us permethrin for scabies (it seemed worth a try). The reactions did clear up almost completely until about a week ago. As I mentioned above, I also found a chigger the other day.

Any more input or advice about our situation would be so appreciated!

9. stellaradnama

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 1 2015 19:31:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I wanted To add: we haven't seen any other signs of bedbugs- no blood spots, no cast skins, no fecal spots on either bed (took off mattresses, looked in every nook and cranny.

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 1 2015 20:09:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Link to largest size photo:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/131362328@N04/16893853216/sizes/o/

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  11. stellaradnama

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 1 2015 20:27:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Nobugs for posting that link, would love as many opinions as I can get

12. GhangisKong

banned

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 1 2015 21:14:59
    #

Login to Send PM

What kind of symptoms are you having and what evidence does that insect type leave?

I'm wondering if it's bed bugs I have, or more some sort of mite or tick. And if it is a mite, what kind it 'might' be.

13. stellaradnama

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 1 2015 21:52:18
    #

Login to Send PM

@Ghangis, I don't really have any evidence besides the skin reactions and the one bug (so far). Based on Lou's response I plan to call a PCO (a different one than the two that ID'd so fast) to come out and look for nests of any kind.

I'm assuming, too, that in addition to the permethrin treatment that all the washing and cleaning I did when we did that treatment also helped things calm down skin-wise?

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 1 2015 22:35:11
    #

Login to Send PM

stellaradnama - 2 hours ago  » 
    Thanks Nobugs for posting that link, would love as many opinions as I can get

stellardnama,

You're not going to do any better than Lou. I assume he's seen the original size and I am confident his ID is the best you can get with the photo.

I just posted it so others could go right to the largest size, since others will likely still be curious to look.

15. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 2 2015 10:15:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, my daughter and I have both had bites/reactions. They are intensely itchy, burning and stay for several days. Common areas are waistline and around bra straps for me, basically places where there is an edge of fabric. About a month ago these started- went to the doctor who gave us permethrin for scabies (it seemed worth a try). The reactions did clear up almost completely until about a week ago. As I mentioned above, I also found a chigger the other day.

Often mites crawl around and stop because of clothing hampering their way and if they are hungry will feed there. Too bad the doctor prescribed treatment for scabies since that wasn't the problem. You should tell the doctor about the real mite found; the mites aren't living in the skin as scabies mites do. Permethrin will work on these mites so that could be the reason for a short period of relief from bites. What makes you think you found a chigger?
    Now, if the mites are from an opossum, the header here would have to be changed from rodent to marsupial. There was a paper back in 1994 about ectoparasites on raccoons and opossums where four fleas, three ticks, three chiggers, one macronyssid mite, and one atopomelid mite were recovered in total from both mammal species.

16. stellaradnama

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 2 2015 14:27:04
    #

Login to Send PM

[quote]What makes you think you found a chigger?
    Lou, we found this guy, which very much looks like a chigger: https://flic.kr/p/rT3BKJ Is that correct? My husband swears it's one. It's not that great of a photo, it was taken with my phone through a magnifying glass. I can take a better one tonight if it would help.

I have someone coming over Monday to check around for nests of any kind. It's so crazy to me that we would have enough bites/skin reactions to cause us to start looking, yet not see these things regularly. Are these mites and their infestations similar to the way that bed bugs act?

17. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 2 2015 15:28:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou, we found this guy, which very much looks like a chigger: https://flic.kr/p/rT3BKJ Is that correct? My husband swears it's one. It's not that great of a photo, it was taken with my phone through a magnifying glass. I can take a better one tonight if it would help.

You left off the end quote with the / so the line didn't get quoted.
    The chigger life stage that is parasitic is the larval stage and it is actually 6-legged. The adult mite is reddish and velvety, but not all reddish, velvety mites are chigger adults, members of the family Trombiculidae. The one pictured here is not an adult chigger. Adults and nymphs are predaceous, but only larvae are parasitic on vertebrates. Related mites are parasitic but only on arthropods.

18. stellaradnama

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 2 2015 15:36:24
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 4 minutes ago  » 

You left off the end quote with the / so the line didn't get quoted.
    The chigger life stage that is parasitic is the larval stage and it is actually 6-legged. The adult mite is reddish and velvety, but not all reddish, velvety mites are chigger adults, members of the family Trombiculidae. The one pictured here is not an adult chigger. Adults and nymphs are predaceous, but only larvae are parasitic on vertebrates. Related mites are parasitic but only on arthropods.

Oops sorry about that, I'm not so great with the code stuff. Thank you for the info on chiggers - I was looking more after you asked about the chigger and I found this video. This is what I saw:

[+] Embed the videoGet the Flash Videos

19. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Apr 3 2015 4:08:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the video you linked to. I think many people associate red mite with chigger and that's not really the case. There are hundreds of red colored mites but color actually isn't the deciding factor to call it a chigger.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,196 posts in 50,137 topics over 155 months by 21,918 of 22,413 members. Latest: Peachyy92, Bigworm, Cain69