(17 posts)
  1. lifestooshortforbugs

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 18:02:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Let's see if this works:

This is what I found 2 days ago dead in the bedroom where I am getting bites on and off since August 2018.
    Can you tell me what it is?

https://imgur.com/iovHPua

https://imgur.com/mjQewG7

https://imgur.com/SDz3QZw

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 18:10:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Woodlouse or close relative, 100% not bedbugs.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. lifestooshortforbugs

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 5 2019 1:07:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much, all so kind on here. I guess the 'louse' part of woodlouse bothers me - I'm reading everything I can about insects because something is biting me and I'm finding nothing significant except the bites on my skin in the mornings and tiny white eggs [which are not sticky] I realise a little knowledge is a bad thing. I'm the family joke 'clean freak' but I'm trying to be intelligent about all this and keep a sense of perspective, but damn, it's tough.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 5 2019 5:04:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Unless your made of wood I would not be overly concerned about woodlice. In fact even if you are don’t be concerned because they don’t eat wood.

Posting a picture of the eggs would help ID them but bedbug eggs once deposited and given a short while to dry are never sticky. The sticky part is as they are laid to ensure they stay in place but in a state of anxiety people may read but they don’t always comprehend the finer details.

The problem becomes that symptoms can be stress and anxiety triggered which sets up a feedback loop and before you know it your stuck on a hamster wheel.

The fact you have not found confirming signs is a good thing, focus on the positive of that and avoid the spiral of dispare.

David

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 5 2019 8:22:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Woodlouse is not an insect but a member of the Isopoda. Yours is one that cannot roll up into a sphere for protection, only partial roll up. Woodlouse is a common name for certain members of the group. There are certain aquatic ones that grow almost 18 inches and feed in oceans on dead whales.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. lifestooshortforbugs

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 5 2019 17:11:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Lou and David for that info. Gosh, I learn something everytime I come here! This is a long story and I won't go into it all, but yep, I was on that hamster wheel. Not sure I'm quite off it yet, although thanks to this website and the great people on here, being better informed helps. One hot August night last year I thought I had a few mosquito bites [I live in Spain], couple of weeks and a few dozen bites later I realised it was more than a mozzie. Bedbugs was my next thought. I have followed all the advice from the experts here - still am - still can't be sure what it is. Been to a dermatologist and had p.c. here, but with no evidence other than the bites, neither could tell me anything much. Following all the advice on here I have just had a bite free week, well 6 days, but I'm hopeful if not yet relaxed. Just found some pics on my phone of a few eggs - I'll upload them in a new post under this one. Not sure how good they are.

7. lifestooshortforbugs

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 5 2019 17:31:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Took pics of these a few weeks ago, found in the bed, as was usual most mornings. None now for a week, but I was away from home for 2 weeks prior. While I was away, husband continued to vacuum and spray stripped bed with alcohol, mattress is encased - he doesn't sleep in this room, but there has been no evidence of anything anywhere else in the house. He hasn't been bitten at all.

https://imgur.com/FrThHwB

https://imgur.com/GBGo8tJ

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 5 2019 17:42:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Image too out of focus but nothing I can make out concerns me.

David

9. lifestooshortforbugs

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 5 2019 17:49:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you - gosh, thank you doesn't seem enough, but since I plucked up the courage to come on here and post I've felt better than I have for the last 5 months! I'll update if anything else comes to light.

10. lifestooshortforbugs

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 12 2019 14:14:07
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 15:32:31
    #

PM This User
    Flag Post for Moderation

To remove the AC ductwork from this equation you can set the thermostat fan setting to 'On' instead of 'Auto.'
    Ductwork isn't really a travel route for insects, at least not that I've ever found in great number. Rats and mice, certainly, and raccoons completely rearrange the ductwork to their liking.

Thanks for this BD, -posted in another thread where I originally asked a question. Made this new thread since, so copied and pasted your helpful reply. Had the ac/heating unit [on the roof] checked this morning for dead birds, rats or mice - oh and racoons - nothing! And the guy tells us that the units are all protected against any of that happening. One more thing out of the equation, but the mystery is no closer to being solved. I am still swinging from believing and disbelieving that the bites [ongoing, but less new ones now] since last August are bedbugs. I cleaned - dustpan and brush, mask and gloves, - some insecticide powder around the perimeter of room where I get bitten and sleep - [ha! did I say sleep?] and found nothing but a few miniscule black flies - do they bite? I needed a flashlight and magnifying glass to spot them - found nothing else. The eggs have also diminished in size and number. A while back [weeks ago] I did find what I thought were a couple of shed skins, actually on the corner of the bed by the pillow, [why did I dispose of them immediately as if I hadn't seen them!] but nothing since. So the mystery continues.

11. lifestooshortforbugs

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Feb 13 2019 4:02:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Bites alone will not give the answer unless you have weeks of plotted out data to start narrowing things down. I have a "mystery bite pack" process but often the solution comes through detailed visual inspection and seeking to rule out things as much as looking for the potential causes.

I just found this [above], written by David. Does anyone know where I can find the 'mystery bite pack' process ?
    Really, truly, seriously fed up now. I don't know what to do next. Thank you so much to everyone here.

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Feb 13 2019 4:04:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It’s a process we use in my company to work out the likely cause where no signs are present. It has its own section on my home site.

David

13. lifestooshortforbugs

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Feb 13 2019 14:36:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David, found and reading now.
    I had a p.c. company come here, almost as soon as I suspected the bites I was getting weren't mozzies. That was around the end of August last year. When I told him I suspected bedbugs, he said: "Well if it is, then the beds will have to go, two beds the furniture, 2 chests of drawers and 2 nightstands, the clothes in the closets, the 3 rugs on marble floor - and we'll take all the light fittings out to spray inside the dropped ceiling -spotlights ... the list went on ... he scared the life out of me! He probably spent about 20 mins here and said, after inspecting mattresses, behind pictures on walls [ now gone] that he didn't think it was bedbugs because everything was too clean. He offered to treat just that one room on a 'just in case' basis for a pretty high price. I had already lost faith in him, so treatment since then has been by me and my husband and we've probably already done a lot of things wrong. I'm more than happy that I found this site because at least now I can search for reliable info. I am covered in bites, so I'm not imagining the itching and the sleepless nights. Whilst I thought the bites had stopped and I was only awake with the itching of bites that are taking an eternity to heal, last night I had around 3 new ones. oh well, back to the drawing board.

14. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Feb 13 2019 16:15:06
    #

Login to Send PM

lifestooshortforbugs - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks David, found and reading now.
    I had a p.c. company come here, almost as soon as I suspected the bites I was getting weren't mozzies. That was around the end of August last year. When I told him I suspected bedbugs, he said: "Well if it is, then the beds will have to go, two beds the furniture, 2 chests of drawers and 2 nightstands, the clothes in the closets, the 3 rugs on marble floor - and we'll take all the light fittings out to spray inside the dropped ceiling -spotlights ... the list went on ... he scared the life out of me! He probably spent about 20 mins here and said, after inspecting mattresses, behind pictures on walls [ now gone] that he didn't think it was bedbugs because everything was too clean. He offered to treat just that one room on a 'just in case' basis for a pretty high price. I had already lost faith in him, so treatment since then has been by me and my husband and we've probably already done a lot of things wrong. I'm more than happy that I found this site because at least now I can search for reliable info. I am covered in bites, so I'm not imagining the itching and the sleepless nights. Whilst I thought the bites had stopped and I was only awake with the itching of bites that are taking an eternity to heal, last night I had around 3 new ones. oh well, back to the drawing board.

Have you used any types of monitors? Glue boards? Climb-up monitors? Passive monitors? Even folded papers? Clutter gets infested, so giving them viewable clutter lets you more easily see if bed bugs crawl in to harbor. You can place the paper monitors in with your laundry so it will take on odor that can be attractive to bed bugs. cupsleevetrap by louento.pix, on Flickr

fanfoldmonitor by louento.pix, on Flickr

15. lifestooshortforbugs

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri Feb 15 2019 3:53:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you used any types of monitors? Glue boards? Climb-up monitors? Passive monitors? Even folded papers? Clutter gets infested, so giving them viewable clutter lets you more easily see if bed bugs crawl in to harbor. You can place the paper monitors in with your laundry so it will take on odor that can be attractive to bed bugs.

Hi and thanks Lou ~ I have had sticky traps on legs of beds and isolated beds too, and after reading your post, have now made some passive 'fan' traps.
    I imagine, by putting the paper monitors in with your laundry, you mean dry laundry ready for the wash? Can you tell me how the 'cupsleeve' traps work, guessing the same as the fan things? Really grateful for that info.

16. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri Feb 15 2019 4:50:22
    #

Login to Send PM

lifestooshortforbugs - 54 minutes ago  » 

Have you used any types of monitors? Glue boards? Climb-up monitors? Passive monitors? Even folded papers? Clutter gets infested, so giving them viewable clutter lets you more easily see if bed bugs crawl in to harbor. You can place the paper monitors in with your laundry so it will take on odor that can be attractive to bed bugs.

Hi and thanks Lou ~ I have had sticky traps on legs of beds and isolated beds too, and after reading your post, have now made some passive 'fan' traps.
    I imagine, by putting the paper monitors in with your laundry, you mean dry laundry ready for the wash? Can you tell me how the 'cupsleeve' traps work, guessing the same as the fan things? Really grateful for that info.

Yes, dry. Cup sleeves are just another place (a crevice) they can hide in. Remove the paperclip and look inside.

17. lifestooshortforbugs

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 26 2019 2:29:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Just an update: Flare-up of old bites which have never really healed properly, back and torso ... arms and legs clear. (hydrocortisone cream given to me by dermatologist calms them, but has never really healed them), and a few new ones. Still no signs of anything except a couple of dead black tiny flies. Have used the paper/cardboard traps now for a week, checked a couple of days ago ... nothing.
    It's occurred to me that maybe I'm getting a skin reaction from the bug spray I think my husband used whilst I was away for a couple of weeks. (over the counter stuff which says kills bb's etc.) He used it mainly on the underside of the bed - no box spring - it's just a base with 6 legs, but does have a dust cover which hasn't been removed, just steamed a few times and sprayed. Mattress is on top, double encased. Finding less of those tiny eggs, maybe one or two a day, but super tiny now, picked up on lint roller. Washing and drying bed linen and p.j's daily. Due to the occasional new bite, I still think there's 'something' - but more mysterious is why the old bites don't heal. Never had anything like this before, and have good skin that normally heals quickly. Have thought of mites, I have palm trees close to building, and hear the birds singing, maybe nests in them, so have been mindful of 'little black dots' of which there are plenty if I look hard enough with a light and magnifying glass, but nothing that I've seen actually move. Still at a loss! Still reading on here, seems plenty of symptoms similar to mine, but I'm no further into knowing what this could possibly be. I had fairly good reason to suspect bedbugs in the first place having helped a family member get rid of what we thought were bedbugs - but that was not only 3 years ago, but a thousand miles away from where I live. Thinking back now, I'm not even sure they were bedbugs, might have been carpet beetles. Reason being, it seemed we got rid of them too easily!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,663 posts in 49,311 topics over 152 months by 21,611 of 22,036 members. Latest: Winniewillow, Jaded48, ctd2289