(9 posts)
  1. hearty

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Oct 30 2017 14:18:26
    #

Login to Send PM

https://i.imgur.com/Xj0z0ks.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YeAgMfK.jpg

I was so lucky to find her at the foot of my bed just after I got a new bite on top of my foot. Second bite after second heat treatment, 8 days then 10 days apart.

I'm so glad I have tangible proof. I am unsure if it's an actual bug even tho it looks 3 dimensional like a bed bug it is in fact so paper thin and I see no legs that I wonder if it is an exo skeleton?

Hoping it's a DEAD female

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Oct 30 2017 14:39:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Images aren't as cleared when zoomed in. Looks like a body but missing parts, such as head and legs. Not bed bug, but most likely beetle. It looks like there are membranous wings in the dorsal view.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. hearty

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Oct 30 2017 15:00:02
    #

Login to Send PM

No way! Lou! How is it not a bed bug...I put it in freezer will see if I can get a better pic
    I'll post my bite pic

4. HifromChi

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Oct 30 2017 15:04:02
    #

Login to Send PM

That doesn't look like a bed bug to me either. It's shiny/glossy almost like a minute pirate bug, are those things still kicking this time of year, Lou?

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Oct 30 2017 17:43:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hardass - 2 hours ago  » 
    No way! Lou! How is it not a bed bug...I put it in freezer will see if I can get a better pic
    I'll post my bite pic

Just a thought. Your skin lesions and insect that you found don't have to be related. The real insect that could have caused such lesions might not have been found by you yet.

6. hearty

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Oct 30 2017 19:42:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanx Lou. I really wish it wasn't but my recent bites, going back are consistent with bed bugs. I am finding out that DE and heat treatment alone are not always a fail safe. Whenever I let treatments, bed bug routines slide I just get increasing bites everywhere consistent to bed bug bites. And since I've had them with proof last year, (I saw a live one last year etc) I wouldn't know what else is causing it. I do have a 'black debris/fecal matter' photo I took yesterday that I could post later. Frustrating having to proove I have bed bugs I'd rather (NOT HAVE THEM) just treat and get rid of them which is what I need to focus on. Wondering again about moving but worried I'd take em with me. I get a lot of info from this site so I don't think I need validation really.
    My stairwell to the basement is adjacent to my bedroom and was NOT heat treated, even though the PCO told me he would. I ordered Cimexa.

7. hearty

Posted 7 months ago
    Tue Oct 31 2017 19:18:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Post Script:
    I'm not so sure it is NOT a bed bug. After looking at it again and just now all images online it ALWAYS comes out as bed bug to where there actually has little to no similarity to the beetle. There are no legs tho...weird. It looks like a half full of blood female bed bug...no wings on it.

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 months ago
    Wed Nov 1 2017 7:30:55
    #

Login to Send PM

hearty - 12 hours ago  » 
    Post Script:
    I'm not so sure it is NOT a bed bug. After looking at it again and just now all images online it ALWAYS comes out as bed bug to where there actually has little to no similarity to the beetle. There are no legs tho...weird. It looks like a half full of blood female bed bug...no wings on it.

There are actually 400,000 species of beetles. Parts are missing from your specimen. The head would help in the determination. The dorsal view is not focused. As I mentioned, it looks like it has membranous wings in the dorsal view and (if a beetle) it is missing the wing covers (the front wings). I said it looks most like a beetle based on structures that are visible. I can look at the specimen if you want to send it.

9. Livingagain

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Nov 2 2017 15:50:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou's a great expert. We're lucky to have him. I've never seen him be wrong.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

274,719 posts in 45,076 topics over 137 months by 19,790 of 20,526 members. Latest: diatomaceousearth, Margo, ad44