ID Needed! Is this a mangled bedbug?

(14 posts)
  1. Scared88

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 3 2018 9:20:05
    #

Login to Send PM

My husband stayed 1 night in a hotel and brought his clothes home in a plastic grocery bag. I washed them the next day, along with some other clothes. When I pulled the clothes from the washer to the dryer, this mangled bug fell out ... bedbug? If so, possible he brought a lone hitchhiker and I don't need to completely freak out??

3 by what what, on Flickr

2 by what what, on Flickr

1 by what what, on Flickr

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 3 2018 9:41:57
    #

Login to Send PM

It does not appear to be a bed bug.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  3. Scared88

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 3 2018 9:44:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Makes me feel a little better!! The shape of the end of the body is what really throws me. Plus the short antennae and/or lack of hairs on the legs, makes me think it can't be a roach. Not sure what else it may be...

4. Scared88

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 3 2018 10:31:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Anything else you think it could be? And why you don't think it's a bedbug?

Bedbugs are my WORST fear ... I literally got physically ill a couple months ago from stress after a bedbug scare from a vacation.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 3 2018 12:01:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Scared88:
    My husband stayed 1 night in a hotel and brought his clothes home in a plastic grocery bag. I washed them the next day, along with some other clothes. When I pulled the clothes from the washer to the dryer, this mangled bug fell out ... bedbug? If so, possible he brought a lone hitchhiker and I don't need to completely freak out??

Makes me feel a little better!! The shape of the end of the body is what really throws me. Plus the short antennae and/or lack of hairs on the legs, makes me think it can't be a roach. Not sure what else it may be...
    Anything else you think it could be? And why you don't think it's a bedbug?

Bedbugs are my WORST fear ... I literally got physically ill a couple months ago from stress after a bedbug scare from a vacation.
    ----------------

Last picture is private so can't see. In order to have any good ID done, you have to set your:
    Apple iPhone XS
    iPhone XS back dual camera 4.25mm f/1.8
    to highest resolution and largest picture size. Yours are set for social media pictures at 640x480 pixels.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. Scared88

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 3 2018 12:21:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Is this any better?

4 by what what, on Flickr

5 by what what, on Flickr

6 by what what, on Flickr

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 3 2018 14:31:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Scared88 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Is this any better?

Unfortunately, not. Zooming in works but not clear all the way down. It looks more like a cockroach in one picture due to expanded thoracic shields.

8. Scared88

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Oct 4 2018 9:15:46
    #

Login to Send PM

My iPhone XS can only change the resolution for videos. Only two options for the picture mode: High Efficiency (pics above) and Most Compatible (positing a pic from that mode below). Appreciate your review though! Hopefully I won't be back in a couple weeks with another specimen.

7 by what what, on Flickr

9. Scared88

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 9 2018 9:14:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I was really hoping not to be back here ... but yesterday morning I woke to find a blood stain on my bed, which I've NEVER noticed before. I read a thread where "fresh" red blood usually isn't indicative of BBs, but the coincidental timing of this to my find of a mangled bug (still unknown creature) makes me highly alarmed. Could this be related? I didn't find any bumps, aside from what I think is a pimple or inflamed hair follicle on my lower backs. Pics of both below. TIA for the advice!!

blood by what what, on Flickr

bump by what what, on Flickr

10. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 9 2018 11:50:41
    #

Login to Send PM

No one can ID a skin irritation from a photo.
    I'm sure there are hundreds of reasonable reasons for that stain to appear that are not bed bug related.

And although currently not identified it is not a bed bug.

11. Scared88

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 9 2018 14:24:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much for the reply! And yes I figured the skin bump was futile, but just to show any correlation.

Anyhow...as my paranoia mounts, I found this next "specimen" just this afternoon. I was bringing up freshly washed linens to my son's room and after I made the bed, I saw this in the middle of the floor - already dead. Not sure if it was in his room, or attached to the laundry basket I had brought from the laundry room.

Never thought I would WISH for roaches, but would love for an expert to tell me this is NOT a bedbug! Help please?

specimen4 by what what, on Flickr

specimen3 by what what, on Flickr

specimen2 by what what, on Flickr

specimen1 by what what, on Flickr

The original 2 images have a stray human hair attached, 3&4 hair removed

12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 9 2018 15:02:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I think it is probably a delphacid plant bug. It looks like there is a well-developed ovipositor present.

13. Scared88

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 9 2018 15:11:23
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 7 minutes ago  » 
    I think it is probably a delphacid plant bug. It looks like there is a well-developed ovipositor present.

Yay!! So no chance BB, right?

I have to tell you this site is amazing. You guys give your expert advice for FREE, putting minds at ease and getting people on the right track when needed. Appreciate you all so much!!

14. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 9 2018 16:04:11
    #

Login to Send PM

If you look at images of bed bugs you'll save yourself from worrying whenever you find something smaller than a football with legs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,447 posts in 46,579 topics over 142 months by 20,544 of 21,410 members. Latest: itchymama4, PrismArc, unclejohn