Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

[ID Needed] If these aren't bedbugs, what are they? (Mysterious bites and bugs)

(4 posts)
  1. itsimplied

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jul 11 2016 12:47:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Bedbuggers - Hope you can help me identify these weird bites and a few stray bugs I've found in my bedroom.

I moved into a new place ten days ago, and last night my thigh began to itch like crazy as I was falling asleep. This was just after midnight. I got up, turned on the light, and saw about six bites clustered in groups of 2 or 3. I also had a couple of mosquito bites on my arm.

I should mention that it's a fourth-floor Brooklyn apartment, and my air conditioner isn't totally sealed inside the window yet. So there are holes that might provide entry for things like mosquitoes, etc.

In any case, my girlfriend and I searched the mattress and box spring the next morning and found the following bugs (see attached pics). Are these carpet beetles, or are they bedbug nymphs? We found three of them, and no droppings or blood on any of the bedding.

And if these aren't bedbug bites, what could they be? Fleas? I have a cat but she is flea free and indoor only. Any help solving this mystery would be really great.

Thanks in advance...

2. itsimplied

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jul 11 2016 12:49:36
    #

Login to Send PM

[img]Hi Bedbuggers - Hope you can help me identify these weird bites and a few stray bugs I've found in my bedroom.

I moved into a new place ten days ago, and last night my thigh began to itch like crazy as I was falling asleep. This was just after midnight. I got up, turned on the light, and saw about six bites clustered in groups of 2 or 3. I also had a couple of mosquito bites on my arm.

I should mention that it's a fourth-floor Brooklyn apartment, and my air conditioner isn't totally sealed inside the window yet. So there are holes that might provide entry for things like mosquitoes, etc.

In any case, my girlfriend and I searched the mattress and box spring the next morning and found the following bugs (see attached pics). Are these carpet beetles, or are they bedbug nymphs? We found three of them, and no droppings or blood on any of the bedding.

And if these aren't bedbug bites, what could they be? Fleas? I have a cat but she is flea free and indoor only. Any help solving this mystery would be really great.

http://imgur.com/ga1hnpv/img

3. itsimplied

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jul 11 2016 12:52:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, all - here's my third attempt to link to the pics. I think this should work: http://imgur.com/a/KroDv

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jul 11 2016 13:15:09
    #

Login to Send PM

itsimplied - 21 minutes ago  » 
    Sorry, all - here's my third attempt to link to the pics. I think this should work: http://imgur.com/a/KroDv

Look like larvae/shed skins of dermestid beetle.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82