[ID Needed] found this tiny bug on a pillow [a: spider]

(7 posts)
  1. manytravels

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jul 6 2015 18:28:51
    #

Login to Send PM

here are the pics. these were the best I could capture without risking losing the bug, but I'm hopeful they are sufficient for an identification.

http://imgur.com/a/TgKbF#0

thank you in advance, this community is amazing.

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jul 6 2015 18:48:07
    #

Login to Send PM

spider

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. manytravels

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jul 6 2015 18:49:27
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 19 seconds ago  » 
    spider

Lou. Thanks for the quick reply. How certain are you from the low-res photos? I know higher-res would be ideal, but they were all I could secure at the time. I have been having some bites and the bug, while extremely small (3mm or less), did appear to be either a psocid or bed bug to my eye. That said, I'll defer to your professional opinion.

4. manytravels

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jul 6 2015 19:47:41
    #

Login to Send PM

manytravels - 57 minutes ago  » 

loubugs - 19 seconds ago  » 
    spider

Lou. Thanks for the quick reply. How certain are you from the low-res photos? I know higher-res would be ideal, but they were all I could secure at the time. I have been having some bites and the bug, while extremely small (3mm or less), did appear to be either a psocid or bed bug to my eye. That said, I'll defer to your professional opinion.

bumping just to confirm that it's 100% spider. the frequency of bites have me concerned and I have searched exhaustively for other bugs.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jul 6 2015 21:58:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Agreed that high res picture would be ideal and these low res images would be better if were more focused, but I see what looks like 4 pairs of legs and a grouping of eyes. A low res image if really focused can be better than a high res image that is out of focus. Do you still have the specimen?

6. manytravels

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jul 7 2015 3:00:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lou,

I don't still have the specimen (I was worried it would escape if I tried to keep it contained, though if it was a spider I feel a bit silly). I took your suggestion and included some photos that are not zoomed in, though the quality is still not ideal. Does this confirm your original suspicion or is this more indicative of bed bugs?

http://imgur.com/a/1PgvL#4

Thanks again.

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jul 7 2015 5:53:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Does this confirm your original suspicion or is this more indicative of bed bugs?
    Same. Spider.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,373 posts in 46,557 topics over 141 months by 20,533 of 21,396 members. Latest: jidhvs1, Darrellkking, jojo