ID needed - bug on wall

(15 posts)
  1. plznotagain

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Sat Sep 15 2018 1:10:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't believe this is happening...I just had my 5th treatment in my apartment on Tuesday and today I went with my boyfriend (who lives elsewhere) to see his new empty apartment he moves into next week. He literally put the rent and deposit down two days ago. I was hoping his place would be a refuge from the nightmare I've been going through at mine.

Then we saw this bug on the wall. Unfortunately I couldn't get great photos it was dark and then the damn bug fell to the floor and they had ust pulled up carpet so there was mess and glue all over the floors and it quickly got away from us.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=12MHPwOQmXSFWU8uN1w--ua4W-4t3BvRX
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1igjj1X6ETJpEkfEuatdTXt4fkM7loKuC
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/18BlxNbWpY5_7miV0V_vBMwLCpVrIfPd8/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MgQob1GnG2XGlUhotJ6_MnKGdTPQQcfW/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_XRXIF0szaPgDHr9MfG358l1jPw4m67_
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UgqUWP7L3ypi1VD-UyFjbj_th3S4_t_j
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=19nYLLINul5x1xk669cathCJnnKIuW5RD
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WHsk-my4VKKzeCaS9YOZQjsjQAmq5qfz
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YPq23VW2KSfVhA524RlLIfTZlzVH40OR

We encountered a woman in the hallway when leaving and asked if she knew of bug history in the building. She was kinda cagey (we ran up on her at 11:30 at night asking about bugs so that's within reason!) but she said she had heard things...

ugh ugh ugh. He just gave the landlord over $7 grand and I don't think there's a way to get it back know that the lease is signed.

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 days ago
    Sat Sep 15 2018 8:51:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Where do you live? Disclosure of bed bug infestation could be required for leases. Too bad pictures are not crisp, but looks like a bed bug that has fed. Pulled up carpeting allows for more activity. Now that place is open, proper treatment can be done.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. plznotagain

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Sat Sep 15 2018 10:18:53
    #

Login to Send PM

We're in Brooklyn and bedbug info here has to be disclosed for the past year when signing a lease - he wasn't told anything.

They are substantially renovating the place so seems like a good time for serious treatments; the apartment is totally empty, and they can even dig into the floors if necessary. What treatment is best in this scenario that he should request? Would love specific chemical names, approaches etc. Thank you!

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 days ago
    Sat Sep 15 2018 12:59:46
    #

Login to Send PM

plznotagain - 2 hours ago  » 
    We're in Brooklyn and bedbug info here has to be disclosed for the past year when signing a lease - he wasn't told anything.
    They are substantially renovating the place so seems like a good time for serious treatments; the apartment is totally empty, and they can even dig into the floors if necessary. What treatment is best in this scenario that he should request? Would love specific chemical names, approaches etc. Thank you!

I know about the disclosure law. That's why I asked. You found bed bugs before you moved in, therefore not from you. How long was previous tenant there? Why did tenant move? How much time do you have before your boyfriend moves into the apartment?

5. plznotagain

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Sat Sep 15 2018 15:30:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Lou. We don't know how long the previous tenant was there or why they moved. They were already out. He was supposed to move in at the end of this week.

We went back and talked to some more people in the building - they confirmed it's been an issue throughout the building but they do treat when it is reported.

Most importantly - if he is locked into this situation what recommendations do you have for treatment? Specific chemicals? If the floors have yet to be be finished if they can tear them up and put DE under the floorboards? Or any other preventative measures that a significant renovation would allow for that maybe wouldn't be an option after he moved in.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 days ago
    Sat Sep 15 2018 17:17:06
    #

Login to Send PM

plznotagain - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks, Lou. We don't know how long the previous tenant was there or why they moved. They were already out. He was supposed to move in at the end of this week.
    We went back and talked to some more people in the building - they confirmed it's been an issue throughout the building but they do treat when it is reported.
    Most importantly - if he is locked into this situation what recommendations do you have for treatment? Specific chemicals? If the floors have yet to be be finished if they can tear them up and put DE under the floorboards? Or any other preventative measures that a significant renovation would allow for that maybe wouldn't be an option after he moved in.

The building doesn't treat at all when bed bugs have been reported and actually found? How many tenants are there? This is a rental? Would you be using the building exterminator? No, not DE, but Cimexa dust is much better.

7. plznotagain

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Sat Sep 15 2018 18:43:19
    #

Login to Send PM

From what we heard they do treat individuals who report, but it is a large building and has historically been an issue. It is a rental.

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 days ago
    Sat Sep 15 2018 19:27:22
    #

Login to Send PM

plznotagain - 43 minutes ago  » 
    From what we heard they do treat individuals who report, but it is a large building and has historically been an issue. It is a rental.

Won't ever get rid of the problem treating that way.

9. plznotagain

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Sat Sep 15 2018 19:54:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes I know, but we're not the building owners so we don't have control over what they do beyond demanding his unit be treated. He has 7k already down on the apartment so we are trying to find out what the best treatment options are for the individual unit if he has to move in.

10. lsdrg706

Posted 4 days ago
    Sat Sep 15 2018 19:59:51
    #

Login to Send PM

If they are required to disclose and did not, didn't they technically break contract? I don't see how he can be stuck with a lease with those rules in place.

11. plznotagain

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Sat Sep 15 2018 20:30:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Our concern is that I don't think there's any way to prove he did know about it in that specific unit.

12. lsdrg706

Posted 4 days ago
    Sun Sep 16 2018 7:14:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I would think in this situation, since he has not yet moved in, that the burden would be on the management to prove they disclosed, since the reasonable assumption would be that the average person would not agree to sign a lease given knowledge of ongoing current bedbug infestation.

13. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 days ago
    Sun Sep 16 2018 9:48:22
    #

Login to Send PM

lsdrg706 - 2 hours ago  » 
    I would think in this situation, since he has not yet moved in, that the burden would be on the management to prove they disclosed, since the reasonable assumption would be that the average person would not agree to sign a lease given knowledge of ongoing current bedbug infestation.

Disclosure should be in the form of a written document that the tenant signs stating that s/he received the disclosure.

14. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 days ago
    Sun Sep 16 2018 9:52:00
    #

Login to Send PM

plznotagain - 13 hours ago  » 
    Our concern is that I don't think there's any way to prove he did know about it in that specific unit.

Do you know the pest control company? You can PM me if you would rather do that.

15. HifromChi

Posted 2 days ago
    Mon Sep 17 2018 9:57:50
    #

Login to Send PM

There's no way in hell I would move in there. The bugs will just move into untreated areas within the building and return once the chemicals have settled within that unit. If he moves in, he should expect to have issues of his own and be willing to put his own possessions at risk.

I'd fight to get that money back, seeing as they can't pin it on him since he hasn't moved in yet, especially if you kept the specimen you found, and move on.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,257 posts in 46,267 topics over 141 months by 20,394 of 21,225 members. Latest: Llorenzaccio, morgan, mojo172