(18 posts)
  1. shhhhfollowme

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Dec 7 2014 20:53:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there,

Thanks in advance to everyone who contributes here and helps. I noticed today that I have 3 small red itchy bites on my leg, and I began to wonder if it could be bed bugs, since these didn't look like mosquito bites to me.

I went ahead and inspected my sheets and mattress, and was surprised to find many spots that could be blood stains. They are both on my sheets and the mattress itself. Some are dark black, others are more reddish. Some of them smudge. The marks are extremely small (smaller than a grain of sea salt)

I tried to take the best photos I could without a real camera (I only have my phone), if better quality is needed please let me know.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129806275@N04/with/15969888641

Would appreciate any opinions on whether these bites / marks are consistent with bed bugs.

Thanks so much.

2. shhhhfollowme

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2014 10:33:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Just an update from this morning. I washed and dried my bedding and sheets last night (mostly for peace of mind and to see if the spots would reappear)

This morning I noticed one new bite on my upper thigh. The bites from yesterday have significantly shrunk and no longer itch. I'm wondering if anyone can draw any conclusions from this.

I inspected the sheets and didn't find as many spots as yesterday but did find this one and managed to get a better picture.

Any advice would be appreciated - I'm not sure when is the right time to have a professional inspection done.

Untitled by jng2117, on Flickr

3. shhhhfollowme

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2014 21:48:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey guys! Just wanted to see if there's anyone out there who has seen fecal stains in person and can share thoughts on the photo above. Pretty much all the stains look like that one (rust colored and a little smudged looking)

I fear that I really do have bed bugs and I think it's time to call in someone professional to inspect

This is no fun at all.

4. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2014 22:25:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Nope, it's no fun.

Have you inspected your bed, box spring, sofa, and around your place for other signs? There are some great primers here. A lot of the pros here are like broken records when I comes to bites and blood stains, "Not proof enough". Sigh.

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  5. spicynat

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2014 22:45:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello!

I'm not an expert at all but it seems to me that you have bed bugs. The blood stains plus the little black spots, that are probably feces, are common signs of BBs. You should definitely call a professional to make sure you get a treatment ASAP or at least to know if these are BBs. The more you wait the worst the infestation will get. These insects reproduce very quickly.

Your bites look a lot like the ones that I had, but I know it can be completely different from a person to another, and that it cannot determine if you have BBs.

I wish I'm mistaken and that you don't have BBs. If you do I hope the problem will be resolved very soon.

Take care.

6. shhhhfollowme

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2014 22:47:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Robinsmom! I turned my bed st upside down last night and used a flashlight to look around. I couldn't see a thing, but my bed frame is dark brown so it's possible something is there that I didn't see.

After more research, I'm wondering if I have fleas. My cat has had a scab lately (unusual) and I read about 'flea dirt' in pets fur, which I noticed when I was grooming her (but didn't realize at the time what it was)

I'm wondering if the bites I'm getting are from fleas. I guess my next step is to do some thorough cleaning, grooming, and vacuuming to see if the pattern changes.

I'm worried about waiting too long to bring in professionals and having the problem get out of hand. But if it is fleas, I should be able to catch them. So that might be a good next step.

Funny how much power these tiny little creatures have over us I've had troubles concentrating all day. All I could imagine is that I was leaving bedbugs everywhere I went...

7. shhhhfollowme

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2014 22:50:21
    #

Login to Send PM

@Spicynat - not was I was hoping to here, but the blood stains have me worried.

I called an exterminator today and was offered a visual inspection, I'm wondering how likely that would be to detect a small population of bugs.

I really hope I'm able to solve this.

8. shhhhfollowme

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2014 23:03:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: just brushed my cat to inspect her fur and there are tiny black specks in her fur.

9. spicynat

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2014 23:07:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry

I believe visual inspections are reliable if done carefully. That's how the PCO who came to my place detected them. And it was a light infestation. He found 1 adult in the bed frame.(after turning it upside down. I had no blood stains, nor black stains on my sheets or mattress. But he did find 1 black spot on the bed frame that was confirmed to be a BB fece. I asked him how he knew it was BB fece. He put saliva on his finger and made movement with his finger on the spot. It created a sort of line.(sorry English isn't my mother tongue. I hope you understand what I mean) But I guess this technique only works on hard surfaces and not textiles. But I don't know. You could still try. Even though it's probably better you wait to have the professional having your place inspected.

Good luck to you!

10. spicynat

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2014 23:08:38
    #

Login to Send PM

shhhhfollowme - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Update: just brushed my cat to inspect her fur and there are tiny black specks in her fur.

So maybe it is fleas after all! That's what I hope for you! Let us know.

11. shhhhfollowme

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2014 23:10:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Spicynat. I did try smearing the spots on my sheet. One spot on the mattress smeared but the others did not.

I'm trying to find information on whether these spots are unique to BBs or not. There is definitely something up with my cat, but that still doesn't fully answer the question (UGH.)

I think either way an inspection is a no regrets move. Hoping I can get one in very soon.

I just keep telling myself it is not worth getting panicked about, that won't help anything.

12. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2014 23:16:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Remember you can have both fleas n bb. I did.

Talk about no fun, lol!

13. shhhhfollowme

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2014 23:23:40
    #

Login to Send PM

That is what I'm worried about. I am really hoping I don't have both. I'm guessing I won't really know without a professional.

14. spicynat

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2014 23:25:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes the inspection is probably the best you can do.
    It's always better to know. Even if it's bad news at least you know what to fight. And the unknown is known to be a scary thing. Until you aren't sure about it you will probably continue to think about it all the time and be worried. I truly hope you can get someone to check your place soon.(fingers crossed for you it's not BBs)

15. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2014 23:28:23
    #

Login to Send PM

With all the technology out there, you'd think there would be a pest-specific fecal /blood smear test out there. Or a bb odor thingamabobit.

16. spicynat

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2014 23:30:21
    #

Login to Send PM

robinsmom - 1 minute ago  » 
    With all the technology out there, you'd think there would be a pest-specific fecal /blood smear test out there. Or a bb odor thingamabobit.

Actually I saw people talking about one, called BB blue I believe.

17. spicynat

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2014 23:37:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I found this about Bed Bug Blue: http://bedbugger.com/2012/05/18/bed-bug-blue-fecal-spot-detection-consumer-kit-now-available/
    You can have more info about it. Hope it helps.

18. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Dec 9 2014 0:01:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I thought I read bb blue can't differentiate between blood (or is it poo?) from a bb or another insect.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,263 posts in 50,153 topics over 155 months by 21,923 of 22,419 members. Latest: frustrated1970, duracell, Parawail