ID needed [a: bed bugs]

(18 posts)
  1. ReluctantHost

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 26 2015 11:38:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Pretty sure these are BBs but just want to be sure. I've popped a few after their blood meal, and I've found fecal stains on mattresses, headboards, etc.

2. ReluctantHost

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 26 2015 12:15:22
    #

Login to Send PM

If this picture isn't of good enough quality I can try taking another pic with my point and shoot which has a macro function. Battery was dead so I shot this on my EOS-M and had to crop it extremely small

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 26 2015 12:25:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Confirming bedbugs. The faecal traces on the mattress overrides the need for a specific species ID as bat bugs and bird bugs don't mean them in those locations.

Sorry its not better news.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 26 2015 12:33:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Where they poop overrides nothing!

Most likely bed bugs just because the odds are stacked against you but you can't rule out anything based on fecal location.

5. ReluctantHost

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 26 2015 12:39:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the ID

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 26 2015 12:54:00
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen - 20 minutes ago  » 
    Most likely bed bugs just because the odds are stacked against you but you can't rule out anything based on fecal location.

Hi KQ,

Can you say more about this-- are you saying bat and bird bugs can defecate on the bed also?

Thanks!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. Mitchygirl

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 26 2015 14:07:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an entomologist or anything, but I'm pretty sure those aren't bat bugs, but bed bugs (based on the color of the legs tend to be lighter on bed bugs). Bat bugs also tend to be a little "hairier" looking. Unless you've got (or recently had) bats in the belfry, so to speak, I think it's safe to assume these are bed bugs. Sorry.

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 26 2015 14:53:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an entomologist or anything, but I'm pretty sure those aren't bat bugs, but bed bugs (based on the color of the legs tend to be lighter on bed bugs). Bat bugs also tend to be a little "hairier" looking. Unless you've got (or recently had) bats in the belfry, so to speak, I think it's safe to assume these are bed bugs. Sorry.
    Actually the leg color doesn't matter. Bat bugs don't tend to be "hairier" but definitely have longer setae so it's more noticeable. BTW, the commonly encountered species happen to be in the same genus, Cimex and there are 3. You might not really know if you have a bat problem until the bugs show up and alert you to that fact. It looks like 2 females and a male.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  9. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 26 2015 19:29:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 6 hours ago  » 

KillerQueen - 20 minutes ago  » 

Hi KQ,
    Can you say more about this-- are you saying bat and bird bugs can defecate on the bed also?
    Thanks!

Sure - I'll ask you the question. Did you ever go to the bathroom outside of your house?

Case closed.

10. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 26 2015 19:39:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry but I agree with KQ as I've been at bat bug infestations that closely resemble bed bug infestations fecal matter and all.

There are few absolutes in the bug world.

pjb

11. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 26 2015 19:48:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I was under the impression that if a bat bug loses its preferred host (a bat) it will feed on a human host. In that scenario, I would imagine that the fecal stains would be close to the human host such as on the mattress.

Richard

12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jun 27 2015 6:33:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I was under the impression that if a bat bug loses its preferred host (a bat) it will feed on a human host. In that scenario, I would imagine that the fecal stains would be close to the human host such as on the mattress.
    If a feeding bat bug fed on a person in a bed, and it stayed on the bed long enough to defecate or for some reason stayed on or near the bed, then the dropping is there near the person; if the bug moved up toward the bat roost after feeding, then the fecal material would not be there. Same holds true for bird bugs. What environmental variables come into play to affect its behavior, whether it's normal behavior or not normal behavior? I don't think we really know.
    There are few absolutes in the bug world.
    As Paul noted. And bed bugs can't read so all of our statements are ignored.

13. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jun 27 2015 6:54:29
    #

Login to Send PM

From above: "As Paul noted. And bed bugs can't read so all of our statements are ignored."

I couldn't agree with Lou more and have often said, the bugs don't read the books.

What we see in the field is reality, what we read in the books may or may not be applicable and, in many ways, serves as a guide for what we may see in the field.

There is no way that any one book or any one person can encompass the entire body of knowledge related any one complex subject such as wild or pest animal/insect behavior. This is so because there are too many variables to consider which may alter or affect what we might normally expect.

It is what it is ! pjb

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jun 27 2015 15:43:04
    #

Login to Send PM

That makes sense.

It is helpful to know that sometimes bat and bird bugs won't have fecal stains on or near the bed-- whereas bed bugs usually do. This has come up here a number of times.

Not that you can't have bed bugs which are nowhere near the bed, but it doesn't seem to come up as much.

15. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jun 27 2015 20:16:41
    #

Login to Send PM

NB: t is helpful to know that sometimes bat and bird bugs won't have fecal stains on or near the bed-- whereas bed bugs usually do. This has come up here a number of times.
    ------------
    As I understand it, the points being made have a different slant. It's that while bat bugs and bird bugs usually leave fecal stains near their bat or bird host, *you cannot rule out* bat and bird bugs just because you find fecal stains on the bed, as one poster suggested. That's because there are certain conditions where a bat or bird bug may leave fecal on a bed, such as if they feed on a human host and then stayed on the bed long enough to defecate.

Richard

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jun 27 2015 21:29:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard56 - 1 hour ago  » 
    NB: t is helpful to know that sometimes bat and bird bugs won't have fecal stains on or near the bed-- whereas bed bugs usually do. This has come up here a number of times.
    ------------
    As I understand it, the points being made have a different slant. It's that while bat bugs and bird bugs usually leave fecal stains near their bat or bird host, *you cannot rule out* bat and bird bugs just because you find fecal stains on the bed, as one poster suggested. That's because there are certain conditions where a bat or bird bug may leave fecal on a bed, such as if they feed on a human host and then stayed on the bed long enough to defecate.

What you've stated is supported by what is noted above, but what I've said here is also supported by the comments above and elsewhere by various posters. It's a situation which we've seen multiple times on the forums, which is why I've noted I think it's helpful information.

17. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jun 28 2015 2:49:47
    #

Login to Send PM

NB: It is helpful to know that sometimes bat and bird bugs won't have fecal stains on or near the bed-- whereas bed bugs usually do....but what I've said here is also supported by the comments above and elsewhere by various posters.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Is it possible that what you meant to say was "...It is helpful to know that sometimes bat and bird bugs WILL have fecal stains on or near the bed-- whereas bed bugs usually do."

Both statements are technically correct ("supported by the comments") but the use of the word sometimes in your comment can be misleading and confusing since since bat and bird bugs won't leave fecal stains on or near the bed most of the time BUT because they sometimes do we cannot rule bat bugs and bird bugs out on fecal stain location alone.

Richard

18. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jun 28 2015 8:07:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard56 - 5 hours ago  » 
    NB: It is helpful to know that sometimes bat and bird bugs won't have fecal stains on or near the bed-- whereas bed bugs usually do....but what I've said here is also supported by the comments above and elsewhere by various posters.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Is it possible that what you meant to say was "...It is helpful to know that sometimes bat and bird bugs WILL have fecal stains on or near the bed-- whereas bed bugs usually do."

Yes-- thanks for the edit.

I had misread your prior post. There's a downside to checking in to the forums at all hours.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,217 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,415 members. Latest: Cain69, Bery10, plsnopls