ID NEED please help [a: carpet beetle larva and psocid]

(5 posts)
  1. stressedfrompests

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 17 2014 6:49:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sure my story sounds like any other. I have been extraordinarily phobic of bed bugs since I moved away from home into Brooklyn. My mattress has two bed bug coverings on it and I've covered my room in DE. What help it offers since I live in a brownstone with three other girls I just can't be sure.

Recently, I noticed a slight smell in my room. Almost musty. I wasn't sure where it was coming from. Had all my bed sheets and covers laundered. The smell might be from the DE powder spread everywhere. However, when I got three bites in a row on my ankle last Tuesday my phobia and anxiety went into overdrive.

I've set up the bed bug interceptors at every post of my bed and tape traps to see if I could catch anything. No new bites and the other three bites went away in 4ish days. (they never itched)

I found these guys this morning. I believe they are bed bug nymphs but could really use some help IDing them. I can't even begin to relate the utter torture, panic and fear that is in my body right now.

Please help me.

1:

2:

1: http://imgur.com/Jkgvn8U

2 : http://imgur.com/VdwbmkN

I know the quality is somewhat poor. They were taken from an iphone and zoomed in to an extreme. They are about the size of a dot.

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 17 2014 7:04:10
    #

Login to Send PM

OK, relax. Despite doing this on my new smart phone, I'm pretty sure you have a carpet beetle larva & a psocid. No worries !

3. stressedfrompests

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 17 2014 7:15:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much for your quick reply.

Is there anyway to tell for sure its a psocid? I found two of them in my interceptor traps.

I have an exterminator coming tomorrow but I'm afraid he may misidentify them or? I'm not sure.

4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 17 2014 8:48:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Q: Is there anyway to tell for sure its a psocid?

R: Yes, there are several such ways including:

a) Post your "decent looking" photo of your critter to a website such as uh, er, I don't know, lets say bedbuggerdot com forum.

b) Have an expert type guy, if you can find one, look at it and provide his ID for you.

OR:

c) Bring your specimen to a qualified pest professional or entomologist for an ID.

OR:

d) Mail your specimen to a qualified person as per above for an ID.

OR, and this is the longest & most impractical type process:

e) Enroll at any of the Universities that offer an entomology major such as Purdue, Cornell, Maryland, Delaware, Rutgers, NC State, Penn State, Univ of Florida, Univ of Georgia, Texas A & M, MS State, etc.

f) Preserve your specimen in alcohol for subsequent ID.

g) When you've completed enough entomology and related such courses, re-inspect your specimen and ID it.

OR, and this is the easiest in your situation:

h) Simply show these critters to the pest pro when he/she arrives there.

Q: I found two of them in my interceptor traps.

R: Note that despite the quality of the photo provided, it appears to be a psocid. And, a psocid, is a psocid, is a psocid whether found in your monitor device, on the bathroom counter top or the dark side of the moon.

Yes, a better photo would be really great but we only have what you posted to go on.

NOW, if your pest pro is an experienced and competent pro, we'd reasonably expect that he/she would be able to confirm what type of critter(s) you have.

Hope this helps ! pjb

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 17 2014 9:47:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't think another photo would make a difference if the aim is to rule out bed bugs.

You can tell the second image is not a bed bug nymph by looking at the shape where the body and head are attached.

See this FAQ which compares photos of book louse (psocid) and bed bug nymph: http://bedbugger.com/2008/03/04/booklice/

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,797 posts in 49,805 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991