Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

ID help, please (UPDATED images) [a: no insects or mites]

(3 posts)
  1. Montrealer2

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 24 2016 17:27:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, Bedbuggers. I’m back after last summer’s BB fight involving 2 sprays by a PCO and my own follow-up with Dichlorvos (DDVP) pest strips. Big thanks to expert Paul Bello for all his help and to Loubugs, David Cain and everyone else who chimed in with advice, comments and support.
    Current situation: Upon my return home in September, I found small dark rock/dirt-like debris under my rugs, on the floors, the balcony, etc. I was also getting little bites on my ankles. The building’s PCO had no answers, but they found no more BBs.
    Trees overhanging my balcony and roof had been giving squirrels “bathroom” access. Today, 7+ months later, branches were finally removed.
    Brought my cat back home in October; it’s now clear that some “debris” was flea related. Still fighting the little buggers, even though my cat’s on monthly meds, I vacuum almost daily, hot-wash/hot-dry and still bag clothes.
    I then notice *I’m* dropping flea dirt and eggs - from my hair/scalp! So I follow advice from every blog and info sheet I can find: wash hair and my cat with Dawn dish soap + apple cider vinegar, comb, change bedding nearly daily, spray Flea spray (Nylar + tetramethrin + d-phenothrin), hot soapy showers and new towels daily. All to no avail.
    My cat is losing some fur on the back of his ears; I find little red bites (tiny, circular, barely raised) on my arms, chest, legs, feet, back of my neck—some singles, others in 2s or 3s. Sometimes find the little black specks on my skin, even under clothes; they are easily wiped off.
    In the meantime, there’s an “emergency” roof repair (in February—in frozen Montreal), quickly followed by replacement of the bldg. doors and windows. The workers knock a hole in my top-floor ceiling; it’s repaired a month later.
    Lots of bugs, specks and dirt on all the new white windowsills in the bldg and in the laundry room.
    Scabs and sores recently on my scalp from the bites and scratching; I feel occasional sharp jabs at the sides, crown, and at the back. I suspect lice, research and use the OTC treatment (1% permethrin).
    No change, but during the recommended daily hair nit-combing, I comb out dark detritus - pics are fuzzy and possibly misleading, but these seem to be tiny bugs, mostly black, 3 or 4 pairs of legs; some with pinchers; some long and thin.
    So... mites (rodent, from the squirrels? Bird, from the close trees?)? Perhaps ticks, burrowing fleas, new scabs? And now, when I wipe my itchy eyes with a white paper towel, little black specks appear. (Body lice?) Nightmare all around.
    Picture Album Link: “Blue" pics are of scalp or cat-hair detritus in a blue dish of water - fuzzy, sorry! More recent uploads are from the scanner, more pics to come. I also included PCO’s pic of last year’s BB eggs, for kicks.
    Thanks for reading this longish summary, and thanks for whatever help you can offer.

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 24 2016 17:50:30
    #

Login to Send PM

From what I can see in the pictures, there are no small insects or mites, just bits of debris, some other unknown things.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. Montrealer2

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 24 2016 21:16:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Lou. I will continue to gather evidence and scan and upload. New debris appears every day, after vacuuming, washing floors, etc. I should have also included a coin in the pics to give an idea of scale. Those dark debris items are no larger than tiny specks. They look a lot like the debris images that David Cain uploaded in some other thread or perhaps FAQ somewhere on here, in which he suspected these were flea-related.
    Anyway, the search for answers - and the daily fight - continues.
    Thanks.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,942 posts in 49,856 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19