ID exoskeleton [a: dermestid/carpet beetle shed skin]

(17 posts)
  1. Helpme3

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jun 7 2015 23:52:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Is thisa bedbug exoskeleton? Please help me sleep tonight! I have small pimple like bites and found this under my couch cushion while vacuuming and I'm kind of freaking out. Anyone? https://www.flickr.com/photos/133138660@N06/18588152575/in/dateposted-public/

2. Helpme3

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 8 2015 0:01:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Anyone? Even a guess? I'm itching all over with the possibility of them and haven't letmy my house in days. I'm terrified I'll spread them to someone. I can't call into work anymore.

3. FormerlyBuggy

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 8 2015 0:53:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Doesn't look like one to me, but I am NOT an expert. Please check back until an entomologist or one of the pest control professionals weighs in. Try to relax and get some sleep...

Melanie

I am NOT an expert - just a grateful bed bug survivor willing to share my experience, strength, and hope with others.
  4. FormerlyBuggy

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 8 2015 0:59:11
    #

Login to Send PM

To ease your mind about going to work, you could throw your clothes in the dryer on high heat for 20-30 minutes before you get dressed in the morning. That would kill any potential bed bugs or eggs on your clothes. But again, it doesn't look bed bug related in my humble, non-expert opinion.

Melanie

5. Helpme3

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 8 2015 1:26:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much, FormerlyBuggy! I so appreciate your response. So the dryer definitely kills bugs and eggs? I need to figure out where these bites/ rashes are coming from. I feel like until then I'll assume the worst!

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 8 2015 3:58:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Looks like shed skins of dermestid or carpet beetle larvae and there are cases of dermatitis associated with these shed skins.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. Helpme3

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 8 2015 11:37:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, Lou! And thanks for everything you do. So definitely not a bedbug skin?

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 8 2015 12:49:16
    #

Login to Send PM

So definitely not a bedbug skin?

Looks like shed skins of dermestid or carpet beetle larvae and there are cases of dermatitis associated with these shed skins.
    I didn't say it looks like bed bug shed skins.

9. rainman

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 8 2015 13:51:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Helpme3,

There's a lot of good info in the faq's if you haven't read them yet. You can put your work clothes in the dryer on high for 20-30 minutes to kill both bed bugs and their eggs (assuming the clothes are already dry) If they're out of the washer it would probably be more like 50 minutes total (20-30 extra minutes after the clothes have dried completely.)

You're considerate to worry about others getting them. Be sure to take care of yourself too though, if you're the type of person that hates to be at home all the time, be sure to get out every now and then.
    You've never seen proof of bed bugs and I don't think it should be expected of us that suspect bed bugs to stay in our houses and not be out in the world. Many people on this site suspect bed bugs and end up having a skin condition or another critter causing the issues.

Towards the top of Lou's flickr feed, you can see examples of shed skins. According to an expert on this site, he has seen many of them and they've always been in one piece...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix

10. Helpme3

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 8 2015 19:47:01
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 6 hours ago  » 

I realize that. I was just in a very fragile state of mind and wanted to be sure it wasn't bedbugs, plus I suffer from severe OCD so I am prone to checking and reassurance to keep my anxiety down. I apologize.

11. Helpme3

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 8 2015 19:51:57
    #

Login to Send PM

rainman - 5 hours ago  » 
    Hi Helpme3,
    There's a lot of good info in the faq's if you haven't read them yet. You can put your work clothes in the dryer on high for 20-30 minutes to kill both bed bugs and their eggs (assuming the clothes are already dry) If they're out of the washer it would probably be more like 50 minutes total (20-30 extra minutes after the clothes have dried completely.)
    You're considerate to worry about others getting them. Be sure to take care of yourself too though, if you're the type of person that hates to be at home all the time, be sure to get out every now and then.
    You've never seen proof of bed bugs and I don't think it should be expected of us that suspect bed bugs to stay in our houses and not be out in the world. Many people on this site suspect bed bugs and end up having a skin condition or another critter causing the issues.
    Towards the top of Lou's flickr feed, you can see examples of shed skins. According to an expert on this site, he has seen many of them and they've always been in one piece...

I can't thank you enough for being so kind, rainman. Im glad the dryer will kill any bugs/ eggs. As you mentioned above, I have absolutely no other signs of bedbugs besides the bites tatseem to resemble the confirmed cases, but as you mention, it could be anything. Also, I know people all react to bedbugs differently. I bought some things from Home Depot just to powder and put out once more and if I still don't find any evidence within the week hopefully I can go back to living my life. As I mentioned above, I have severe ocd so I'm already a worrier and I'm terrified of giving these to other people, even though I'm not even sure I have them!

Again, your kindness means so much

12. FormerlyBuggy

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 8 2015 23:50:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi again,

I understand that OCD can make you completely anxious and insecure. And I know it is easy to start spinning trying to check and re-check everything. And that can lead to "trying to cover all the bases".

There are lots of caring people here, but the majority (myself included) are NOT EXPERTS. The last posts were people trying to be helpful, but they forgot or didn't notice that your REAL problem has already been identified by one of the foremost EXPERTS in the country.

You can trust Lou completely. It would be like if you had a computer problem that was driving you crazy and Bill Gates came up and told you exactly what was wrong.

So please, slow down... take a deep breath... and listen very carefully. According to Lou:

What that means is that it's NOT bed bugs. It's dermestid or carpet beetles. And your skin reaction (dermatitis) is probably from exposure to the shed skins from their larvae.

My personal advice, is to see your doctor about treating the skin reactions and call a reputable PCO (exterminator) to take care of the BEETLE problem.

Please don't keep trying to do DIY home treatment with "some stuff you bought at Home Depot". Not sure what you mean by "powder and put stuff out once more" but whatever you are doing it could be making things worse and you could be endangering your health if you are not taking the appropriate safety precautions.

I'm not trying to scare you or make you more anxious. Just trying to get you to get the right kind of help so your real problem can be solved. And so you can relax - at least a little;-)

I hope this helps you. Hang in there

Melanie

Helpme3 - 3 hours ago  » 

loubugs - 6 hours ago  » 

I realize that. I was just in a very fragile state of mind and wanted to be sure it wasn't bedbugs, plus I suffer from severe OCD so I am prone to checking and reassurance to keep my anxiety down. I apologize.

13. Helpme3

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 9 2015 0:01:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Melanie i wasn't questiining Lou- or at least I didn't mean to.. I just wanted to make sure there was no chance and I understood completely. I so appreciate what he does here. I'm already less freaked out now that he identified the Beatle larvae.

As far as the carpet beetles, I only found that one cast skin so I don't want to call in a PCO yet. Still possible that the bites are allergies or something else. I am however looking into dogs to come in just to be 100 percent sure about the bedbugs because I can't find anymore carpet beetles or anything else that is possibly causing them. Going to wait it out and see if I get more bites though. Thanks again for your help .

14. FormerlyBuggy

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 9 2015 0:25:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Helpme3 - 9 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks Melanie i wasn't questiining Lou- or at least I didn't mean to.. I just wanted to make sure there was no chance and I understood completely. I so appreciate what he does here. I'm already less freaked out now that he identified the Beatle larvae.
    As far as the carpet beetles, I only found that one cast skin so I don't want to call in a PCO yet. Still possible that the bites are allergies or something else. I am however looking into dogs to come in just to be 100 percent sure about the bedbugs because I can't find anymore carpet beetles or anything else that is possibly causing them. Going to wait it out and see if I get more bites though. Thanks again for your help .

You're most welcome, and I know you weren't trying to question his expertise. I have a family member with OCD so I have an idea of how it can make your head start to spin - especially when people keep introducing new (but in this case not related) information.

Just trying to reassure you about his expert opinion and help you stay focused on the right problem - which is the beetles.

Since you don't have any evidence of bed bugs, but you do have (at least some) evidence of beetles, and they are likely to be what's causing the skin reactions, paying for bed bug dogs to rule bed bugs out out instead of paying for a professional to inspect for and treat the beetle problem would likely be a waste of money and it wouldn't do any thing to get rid of the beetles.

Have a good night Melanie

15. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 9 2015 4:46:28
    #

Login to Send PM

To clarify, over time, the bed bug shed skins have a tendency to break so you can get parts of skins rather than entire perfect sheds. Sometimes the breakage is that a leg or part of a leg breaks off or the head and proboscis breaks off. If eaten by dermestid larvae, then there will be various amounts of degradation and consumption.
    Helpme3 - don't worry. No offence taken. Just questions and answers.

16. Helpme3

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 10 2015 1:06:25
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 20 hours ago  » 

To clarify, over time, the bed bug shed skins have a tendency to break so you can get parts of skins rather than entire perfect sheds. Sometimes the breakage is that a leg or part of a leg breaks off or the head and proboscis breaks off. If eaten by dermestid larvae, then there will be various amounts of degradation and consumption.
    Helpme3 - don't worry. No offence taken. Just questions and answers.

So the dermestid larvae could be eating he bed bug castings, Lou? I only found one of the larvae. Still no signs of bed bugs, thank god!

17. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 10 2015 3:31:56
    #

Login to Send PM

So the dermestid larvae could be eating he bed bug castings, Lou? I only found one of the larvae.
    Yes. Dermestid larvae live in cracks and crevices and under flooring, in stored woolens, they're not insects that get out into the lighted areas except when late instars and it's time to pupate. They then crawl around and it's about this time when you see them. Shed skins get blown around by air currents.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982