ID desperately need! Bug in Mattress seam [clearer images needed]

(6 posts)
  1. Janedoe61

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Mar 2 2016 22:49:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Found this in my bed while doing a Bb check... Had woken up with bites for 2 days prior, which made me nervous, and I had a bed bug scare earlier this autumn (turned out to be biting midges) so I had some idea of what to look for. I have an exterminator coming tomorrow morning and am absolutely terrified. My only other thought is it could be fleas bc my cat has been excessively grooming (sometimes losing bits of fur) for months and the vet mentioned it as a possibility .. Gave her some Revolution at the time, but it's worn off by now. The only other thing I found in a diff part of a mattress seam was what looked like a dead/dried flea, but it basically decomposed when I picked it up and attempted to preserve it. This one in the pic, I probably should not have smushed against the paper towel the way I did, but I was not actually sure what it was until I squeezed it between my fingers.. So small it was not obvious as a bug, and really only looks like kind of a remnant of one.

Can someone please put my mind at ease? (Or not?)

2. Janedoe61

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Mar 2 2016 22:53:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's another pic:

http://imgur.com/Rusf6Gy

3. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Mar 3 2016 7:31:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Need a better picture. Check the piping along the mattress and the bottom of the box frame.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  4. Janedoe61

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Mar 3 2016 7:51:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. I just checked again and found nothing. I'm waiting for the exterminator right now. Last night I also found what looked like a dead flea, and when I went to preserve it, it just decomposed in my hands. I have also had problems with biting midges/gnats in the past. From what you can see, could it have been them or fleas?

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Mar 3 2016 12:00:58
    #

Login to Send PM

You have to get closer to the insect to take a picture. Highest resolution, largest picture size and in focus. Red colored insect blood does't mean it's from its gut due to ingestion of blood. It doesn't quite look like a bed bug from this picture, so a better picture really will help.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. Janedoe61

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 5 2016 13:28:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys. It was BB's, confirmed by a PCO that morning. Had my first treatment the following day (yest) and am freaking out. Started a seperate post about it and would welcome any and all feedback on it. Thank you so much, esp to those of you who already do this for a living and are volunteering you time on here.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,306 posts in 50,168 topics over 155 months by 21,929 of 22,426 members. Latest: MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo