(8 posts)
  1. lauc

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 2 2014 20:06:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

For the life of me I don't know if these are bed bugs. After looking at countless photos, I just got more confused! They seem to fit in description of colour and size, but seem to be more elongated than the rounder more rotund bed bugs I've observed on the interwebs. Can anyone help a gal' out?

I definitely got bitten (three in a row) on my arm about 4/5 days ago, and probably did have some bites before that, that I didn't realise. I vacuumed and put plastic containers of water under the bed legs - and found these two little critters. I haven't had a bite since, however.

Here is the brown one that I found for scale:
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    (or the link: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2exx2ea&s=8#.UzyzYF7wVhA)

And here is a little white one next to the brown one:
    (link: http://tinypic.com/r/34xmc6a/8)

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks dudes
    Laura

2. lauc

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 2 2014 23:53:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Not that I am obsessively refreshing this page or anything *cough*, but I thought I'd also post this photo I took of the brown bug before it turned over and died (as seen in the photo above) - it just provides a better picture of its shape.

(link: http://tinypic.com/r/15mcikj/8)

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 3 2014 0:33:12
    #

Login to Send PM

The tan colored bug is way too long and narrow. The body shape is all wrong. That one is a definite NO.

The brown bug in the first two shots is also wrong wrong -- both the shape and that whole antenna business. In the last photo, if you click "view raw photo", you can see these antennae and also the shape of the head and body are not like a bed bug's. Also a definite NO.

I am not an expert but I am sure some experts will be on tomorrow to confirm the "not bed bugs" ID and give you a more accurate idea of what they are. In the mean time, reassure yourself by comparing the shape of body, head, and appendages in photos here.

There are lots of bugs who will want water so I would not be surprised that they possibly came to drink from the moats around your bed legs.

In future, try to use flickr per this FAQ -- it allows users to click the photo and zoom in easily. It handles the original files well.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 3 2014 1:32:20
    #

Login to Send PM

NOT bedbugs! They look to be a type of beetle. An expert should be able to tell you what exactly they are.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  5. lauc

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 3 2014 2:30:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Haha. Thanks nobugsonme - this is welcome news... except, probably, for the poor innocent bugs that have since drowned due to my hyper vigilant paranoia. And thanks again for the tip re. flikr - my mistake!

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 3 2014 9:55:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Some sort of beetle but not commonly encountered and posted here in the past. Most likely came in from outdoors.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 3 2014 11:46:43
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 1 hour ago  » 
    Some sort of beetle but not commonly encountered and posted here in the past. Most likely came in from outdoors.

Thanks, Lou!
    What about the one on the left in the second photo, which is lighter colored?

lauc, no problem! Glad it's good news.

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 3 2014 13:07:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, I was busy looking at the beetles in the pictures. The elongate pale creature is a springtail.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081