(14 posts)
  1. klynn2018

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Jul 9 2018 23:43:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey guys,

Awhile back I thought I had an bed bug infestation. I live in a house that is divided into five apartments and it’s and old Victorian house. Lots of bugs and crappy walls. That infestation turned out to be carpet beetles and boy was I relieved.

Well my girlfriends parents just traveled to Germany and took our car to the airport. When they got back we also picked up her sister in our car from Ohio at Cedar Point: we live in Michigan. Cp has a history of bed bugs in the dorms of their employees.

A few nights ago after we settled down and came back to our apartment I found this little bugger crawling around on our blanket around 10 pm.

I’m fairly certain thats a bed bug but wanted some clarification for sure. I have some diceatemous earth or however you spell it back from the carpet beetle days and I have it around our house at all times, it kills every bug that tries to get in here. Obviously I killed this thing and freaked out and covered my apartment and bed in it. Some good info too is we just bought a brand spanking new bed about three months ago and there were no issues before the travels in our car.

I have only found this bug. We live in a studio so I have ripped everything apart including or bed and we only have hanging clothes in our closet. No furniture just a bed. Ever only found the one bug on top of our comforter and there are no stains whatsoever on our bed or cast skins anywhere. I have found no eggs, vaccumed everything and even ripped my carpet up. No eggs, nothing at all! I am wondering if anyone has ever had an experience of bringing home one bug: my girlfriend had bites one day before I found this and I had one bite as well. I figured almost that it hitchhiked on one of us from our car that their luggage was in, but I’m wondering if that is just false hope. It’s day four and no more bites or signs and I’ve put DE all over the seams of our mattress and box spring and vaccumed every inch of everything we own.

Any tips or information would be appreciated. I’m kind of freaking out here. The carpet beetle scare wasn’t enough for me, I don’t think I can handle this.

2. klynn2018

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Jul 10 2018 0:34:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Also I’ve read some of these forums and when I say “covered” I mean it’s sprinkled finely and it’s food grade, I just have it everywhere not on the edges of the carpet like I did before.

3. klynn2018

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Jul 10 2018 0:35:49
    #

Login to Send PM

klynn2018 - 1 minute ago  » 
    Also I’ve read some of these forums and when I say “covered” I mean it’s sprinkled finely and it’s food [b]grade, I just have it everywhere not on the edges of the carpet like I did before.

4. klynn2018

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Jul 10 2018 0:39:56
    #

Login to Send PM

5. klynn2018

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Jul 10 2018 23:53:27
    #

Login to Send PM

The last thing I want to do is come off as desperate with my long winded story but if someone could atleast let me know if this is in fact a bed bug or whether it’s male or female I can move forward or help my anxiety. I still have not found any signs of B.B. five days later but I am trying to find out if I need to move forward if this is a female. Praying it’s a hitchhiker that was not pregnant or female.

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Jul 11 2018 8:34:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, a bed bug or close relative. I can't be sure of the sex from that image.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Jul 11 2018 16:16:14
    #

Login to Send PM

klynn2018 - 1 day ago  » 
    Also I’ve read some of these forums and when I say “covered” I mean it’s sprinkled finely and it’s food grade, I just have it everywhere not on the edges of the carpet like I did before.

Food grade means edible, so it won't bother you if you eat it. It's still not good to inhale. There is a small percentage of crystalline silica in Diatomaceous earth. CimeXa dust is totally amorphous silica, not crystalline component and it works faster. All dusts shouldn't be liberally sprinkled all around. They are very drying if on skin and also inhaled.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Jul 11 2018 16:17:47
    #

Login to Send PM

klynn2018 - 16 hours ago  » 
    The last thing I want to do is come off as desperate with my long winded story but if someone could atleast let me know if this is in fact a bed bug or whether it’s male or female I can move forward or help my anxiety. I still have not found any signs of B.B. five days later but I am trying to find out if I need to move forward if this is a female. Praying it’s a hitchhiker that was not pregnant or female.

It's a bed bug that hasn't eaten recently -- it's quite flat. I think it's a male; the rear end looks like there's a slit cleft on the left apex.

9. klynn2018

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Jul 11 2018 18:36:23
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 2 hours ago  » 

It's a bed bug that hasn't eaten recently -- it's quite flat. I think it's a male; the rear end looks like there's a slit cleft on the left apex.

Thank you so much for your answers Lou. I’ve been going crazy the last few days over this bug. I have read about Cimexa but I haven’t found any other signs of bugs: my girlfriends parents had a really bad infestation they self treated successfully about three years ago. I had her father come take a look and he couldn’t find any traces either so I have left it at DE for now. I’m not sure if this is just a lone bug and I don’t want to overact or underreact. Given all of the travel and having no experience of this prior I’m just not sure what to think. The DE is now vaccumed up and I have found no more traces of bugs but should I purchased Cimexa to be safe? I can not afford a PCO right now and my landlords will not cover it with one bug as evidence.

10. klynn2018

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Jul 11 2018 18:37:17
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 2 hours ago  » 

Thank you so much for your answers Lou. I’ve been going crazy the last few days over this bug. I have read about Cimexa but I haven’t found any other signs of bugs: my girlfriends parents had a really bad infestation they self treated successfully about three years ago. I had her father come take a look and he couldn’t find any traces either so I have left it at DE for now. I’m not sure if this is just a lone bug and I don’t want to overact or underreact. Given all of the travel and having no experience of this prior I’m just not sure what to think. The DE is now vaccumed up and I have found no more traces of bugs but should I purchased Cimexa to be safe? I can not afford a PCO right now and my landlords will not cover it with one bug as evidence.

11. klynn2018

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Jul 11 2018 18:38:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish I had a a better picture of it or the specimen but we accidentally knocked it of off the shelf I had it on after killing it.

12. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Jul 11 2018 19:05:35
    #

Login to Send PM

You may want to make some bed bug monitors or purchase a few for your bed and couch. At this point I would monitor and have a professional inspection. It could very well have come from an ajoining apartment.

13. klynn2018

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Jul 11 2018 19:32:14
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 24 minutes ago  » 
    You may want to make some bed bug monitors or purchase a few for your bed and couch. At this point I would monitor and have a professional inspection. It could very well have come from an ajoining apartment.

It’s a studio so there’s no furniture besides my bed and my tv stand. I really can’t afford an inspection right now, I wish that I could for piece of mind. Any suggestions on successful
    or the best monitors? I’m really new to all of this so I apologize for so many questions. And it
    ISNt something people are super comfortable openly I’ve found.

14. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Jul 11 2018 19:39:18
    #

Login to Send PM

You should find several threads on DIY bed bug monitors, just use the search feature. There are probably links over there >>>>>>> for purchasing monitors.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

276,178 posts in 45,459 topics over 138 months by 19,974 of 20,737 members. Latest: ihatebugsugh, Ladybeetle, bedBugsareSatanic