(50 posts)
  1. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 24 2016 20:58:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,
    In Advance, while not glad to be here, thanks for this site for the help and support!!!!

Looking for expert ID of male or female and any other pertinent details of the linked photos (all with phone camera and some also using microscope with phone). Obviously if a male then this lowers the chance of eggs if truly a stow-away (see below background)

Background:
    Friday 5:00PM:
    Wife discovered between sheet and 1-st blanket while stripping bed in one of our 2 sons bedrooms.
    Captured alive, stripped and bagged bedding, called our exterminator (from carpenter ants...).
    Inspected bedding, bed (mattress & box spring), bed frame, furniture (in drawers, under etc...), wall art with no signs of anything.... ALso looked at same in other 2 bedrooms without tearing apart beds.
    Also no sign of any bites on our son (or us for that matter).

Saturday 1PM:
    Exterminator came and inspected all 3 bedrooms beds stripped and apart. Found no signs of any blood spots or fecal matter. Went over recent weeks schedule that includes hospital Monday of previous week (-12 days) with clothes in locker and then came home and went to bed in same clothes, library previous weekend, movies previous Monday, cousins over on Wednesday, carpet contractor over to measure downstairs living room on previous day Thursday and was upstairs to review re-stretch of upstairs carpets...
    Conclusion: Probably a hitch hiker
    Recommended Action: Get mattress encasements and watchful waiting.
    Asked about any other actions such as ActiveGuard Mattress Liners, ClimbUp monitors, spraying, diatomaceous earth etc and told to do watchful waiting for now.

FWIW for parents: We used previous ant problem follow-up and boys allergies to dust mites as excuse for visit to not freak anyone out...

We proceeded to launder all bedding on hot wash and dry, vacuum bed (mattress and box spring) and room and discard hepa vacuum bag (sealed in bag)

Sunday:
    1. Church and pray if we are so lucky if this is a stow away!
    2. Quickly inspect bedding and between mattress and box spring

Monday:
    1. Wife took bagged comforter, pillows, stuffed animals etc. to Laundromat for hot air dry & discard bags...
    2. More detailed look of both boys shows no sign of any bites (used dry skin as excuse for examination)
    3. Quickly inspect bedding and between mattress and box spring

Tuesday:
    Ordered mattress and box spring encasements (all Allerzip except boys box springs are low profile so could only find one low profile: National Allergy BedCare Classic encasements (since modified with zipper BugShield bug blocker and zipper lock since review presentation found on this site....)
    http://bedbugger.com/2008/04/20/new-mattress-encasement-test-data/

Today:
    Post for more detailed Expert ID and details from pictures. Link below

Ask advice for any additional actions such as:
    1. Use heat gun on bed frame (metal side and cross rails with wood head and foot boards) when installing covers (I have an industrial variable temp control heat gun...)?
    2. Spray/wipe bed frames with Isopropyl Alcohol )before taping with duct tape to not rip new box spring covers)?
    3. We are previously scheduled for Monday for new carpet downstairs and re-stretch the upstairs carpets. We are also having upstairs carpets steam cleaned after the re-stretch. Is truck mount carpet steam cleaning an effective tool?
    3. Anything else besides watchful waiting?

Here are the links to my new FLickr account pictures:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1674/24610174243_9d5be55c2f_o.jpg/img/urlIMG_3605[/url

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1654/25118697082_1198f31c4b_o.jpg/imgIMG_3615[/url

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1541/25236940515_35d6933f6d_o.jpg/imgIMG_3619[/url

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1663/24941331080_37abb54b49_o.jpg/img[url=https://flic.kr/p/DZYQME]IMG_3616[/url

Again, much thanks for the help!

Doc Holliday

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 25 2016 5:34:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Looks like a female bed bug.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 25 2016 9:13:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Lou (Mr, Sorkin)
    Naturally not the preferred answer but it is what it is and better to know as knowing is half the battle... Thank you!

Follow on questions:
    • Is there any other information available such as probability of blood feeds or egg laying? (after the microscope pictures I discarded the corpse so no further amateur analysis possible...)
    • We still have no signs of anything at initial day +6. Assuming this was a stow-away; I am assuming we need to go at most 2 weeks (+14) for 1-st instar hatching phase?
    • How long for vigilance to feel secure and confirm a stow-away?
    • The reference page I found is as follows for the breeding cycle; is this accurate?
    http://www.pest-advice.com/2011/06/how-fast-do-bed-bugs-breed.html?m=1

Lou and all,
    Do the initial contact conclusion, remediation and steps above and clipped below make sense and any answers to the questions:

"Conclusion: Probably a hitch hiker per our PCO
    Recommended Action: Get mattress encasements and watchful waiting.
    Asked about any other actions such as ActiveGuard Mattress Liners, ClimbUp monitors, preventive spraying, diatomaceous earth etc and told to do encasements & watchful waiting for now." Follow-up call with my PCO and he said anything beyond the encasements and watchful waiting would be premature at this point.
    [b]
    "Ask advice for any additional actions such as
    [u]:
    1. Use heat gun on bed frame (metal side and cross rails with wood head and foot boards) when installing covers (I have an industrial variable temp control heat gun...)?
    2. Spray/wipe bed frames with Isopropyl Alcohol )before taping with duct tape to not rip new box spring covers)?
    3. We are previously scheduled for Monday for new carpet downstairs and re-stretch the upstairs carpets. We are also having upstairs carpets steam cleaned after the re-stretch. We are using our sons dust mite and dust allergies as the cover story... asked Stanley Steemer and they said the nozzle temp is @ 180d-f which certainly exceeds the 115-120d-f to kill but it will be a quick heat exposure followed by high suction vacuum.... Is truck mount carpet steam/hot water cleaning an effective tool for bed bugs?
    3. Anything else besides watchful waiting and above actions?"

Thanks again!

Doc

4. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 25 2016 9:31:22
    #

Login to Send PM

If you only found one bug and can go 14 days without finding any fecal, live insects, or cast skins, it was probably a lone straggler.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  5. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 25 2016 9:45:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Jim,
    I appreciate the feedback here and on the other topics you are posting to as well! Communication, collaboration & support is extremely helpful to us newbies and those going through this!

Good to have a time frame in mind! Any thoughts on the actions?

Suggestion for the site: Maybe there should be some kind of check list type of sheet with timing recommendations and decision tree or maybe this is not possible due to individual circumstances?
    Day 1:
    Capture specimen
    Call PCO
    Inspect per the following criteria: link to photos page...
    If meets x level of evidence then:
    photo...
    Wash ...
    Wipe ....
    etc...
    If meets y level of evidence then:
    photo
    etc...

Week 1:
    Encase mattress and box spring
    etc...

Thanks again!
    Doc

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 25 2016 20:42:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I think it varies quite a bit but I will think about the flowchart idea.

I would note that I haven't seen any experts recommending ActiveGuard Mattress Liners.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 25 2016 22:46:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks nobugsonme,
    I realize a decision tree and time scale will be multi path but it could be a good general summary that would answer a lot of the repeating topics and answers on here... Especially decision tree paths could lead to already established topics like "encasements" etc... And these would be in the time band of when appropriate... If not a decision tree then maybe just time band with appropriate tool box at that time band such as week 1 confirm bed bug, consult PCO, contain & clean, etc... Week 2: encase bed, 1-st PCO treatment, install monitors, etc... Week 3 - 2-nd PCO application, check bed & monitors, etc... I am actually kind of amazed this kind of brochure doesn't already exist from the big exterminator companies....

I think this would give newbies a general idea of the plan and strategy and understanding of what may come and when... Knowledge is power and in this case sanity...

Does anyone have any thoughts on the questions or action strategy we are taking above? Good or missing something else we should consider? I am thinking things like steam cleaning carpets effective then at what time? I am having this done at + 10 days after first catch of female adult. Is his too late for the 1-st instar hatch?

Thanks!

Doc

8. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 5 2016 1:21:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Well we are now at day 14 since the initial finding with nothing additional found which per Jim Danka above should be a good sign... Since my last post I have sprayed & cleaned the ground zero bed and carpeting in that room with 91% IPA last Saturday & Sunday. On Monday we did have the carpet stretched during our new living room carpet install and the bedding was washed. We also had all the other carpets in the home steam cleaned on Monday. On Tuesday we encased the bed at ground zero. Yesterday, Thursday, we encased the beds in the other two bedrooms. FYI that we used allerzip except for low profile box springs on kids beds we used Bed Care Classic as they offer a low profile option and they have been updated since the review video on this site to now have bug shield flap and zipper lock. May still buy some blackout detectors but not thinking I will yet as our PCO said it wasn't necessary yet... Hopefully (fingers crossed) we are in the clear and will now be in monitor mode for live insects, fecal spots or skin casts and will not be revisiting this site (nothing personal, I'm sure you understand!). Thanks again for this site and the feedback and support! Best wishes!

9. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 5 2016 8:12:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Congratulations. Now you're situated to prepare for any more bedbug encounters.

10. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 5 2016 8:56:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Jim (& others),
    What does prepare for other encounters look like?
    We have done the following:
    1. encased beds
    2. all floor storage (under bed and closet) is now in smooth plastic totes
    3. library books are now in totes & no more reading library books in bed
    4. Bed stuffed animals stay in bed, no more coming down with the boys. They have down stairs buddies now... Idea is bedroom stuff is there only and vice versa....
    5. We have 91% IPA on hand and spray bottles
    6. We are vigilantly reviewing bedding for tell signs
    7. We already have a mud room and use to leave jackets and work/school bags there and change shoes there to not track dirt into house or bring in clutter (or critters now.. )

Anything else that should be part of preparation or prevention?

Thanks again!

Doc

11. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Mar 11 2016 12:31:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Forum,
    Confidence is building as we are now at 3 weeks since first contact with a believed to be a straggler with no additional signs.

In the past week we have laundered and carefully inspected the encased beds (ground zero bed last night).

Question from my last post still holds: What does prepare for other encounters look like? Anything else that should be part of preparation or prevention? Please see ongoing control below. (I have not seen a good summary checklist of prevention and preparation on the FAQ or elsewhere...)

Our ongoing control is currently the following:
    1. Encased beds
    2. All floor storage (under bed and closet) is now in smooth plastic totes
    3. Library books are now in totes downstairs (no more reading library books in bed) Is this overkill or not enough control? My kids LOVE reading and keeping library books out of bedrooms is not popular....
    4. Bed stuffed animals stay in bed, no more coming down with the boys. They have down stairs buddies now... Idea is bedroom stuff is there only and vice versa....
    5. We have 91% IPA on hand and spray bottles
    6. We are vigilantly reviewing bedding for tell signs
    7. We already have a mud room and use to leave jackets and work/school bags there and change shoes there to not track dirt into house or bring in clutter (or critters now.. )

We have done the following for this instance:
    • Day 0: 19 Feb - Start w/ bed stripped and bagged and self-inspection
    • Day 1: 20 Feb - Exterminator Confirm and inspection
    • Day 1-2: 20-22 Feb - Clean bedding and comforters & vacuum floors and beds
    • Day 7: 26 Feb - Launder ground zero bedding
    • Day 8-9: 27-28 Feb - IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) ground zero Room (bed, mattress, box spring, carpeting etc...
    • Day 10: 29 Feb - steam clean all carpets, other beds laundered
    • Day 11: 1 March - ground zero bed launder & encased
    • Day 13: 3 Mar - Encase other beds
    • Day 18: 8 Mar - Wash & Inspect other Beds
    • Day 20: 10 Mar - Wash & Inspect ground zero Bed

Thanks again!

Doc

12. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Mar 11 2016 13:44:45
    #

Login to Send PM

If you do weekly inspections you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

13. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Mar 11 2016 14:22:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Jim,

We will keep up the vigilance!

Any thoughts on the question about Library books? I did a google and saw the an article in NY Times about this but then saw a subsequent articles with a little more calmness and odds like lightening....links below. Maybe we just need to inspect the books at the library and keep downstairs for good measure or is bedroom & bed reading OK? Your or other expert thoughts?

Thanks again!

Doc

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/06/garden/bedbugs-hitch-a-ride-on-library-books.html?_r=0

http://www.pctonline.com/article/bed-bug-library-books-varying-reports

http://www.edrants.com/the-bedbug-bunk-how-the-new-york-times-used-fear-and-misinformation-to-spread-public-library-hysteria/

14. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Mar 11 2016 15:51:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I have found bedbugs hiding in the spine of hardcover books. I know the Dubuque Iowa library is having some issues right now. You could visually inspect or consider a Packtite. If it's a soft cover book a visual inspection is probably all that's needed.

15. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Mar 11 2016 23:13:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Jim,
    I guess I'll stick with precautions of library books will stay down stairs in tote and will visually review/inspect while still at the library... Naturally this probably just means a hitch hiker could take residence in a sofa instead of a bed... I guess there is no fool proof anything but some vigilance is better than nothing with risk balance of trying not to be too crazy/paranoid and driving the family batty....

Thanks again!

Doc

16. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 12 2016 8:11:01
    #

Login to Send PM

You're welcome.

17. Zalemane

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 12 2016 9:19:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Doc Holiday, good to read the daily details of your procedures against bugs.

18. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 12 2016 15:21:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Zalemane,
    Glad my timeline helps. Just trying to provide some thoughts like the decision tree flow chart or timeline actions guide suggested above... I now feel more informed and can probably progress through actions faster if there is a next time... Good luck with your encounters!

Doc.

19. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Mar 18 2016 9:04:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,
    Now at day 28 since the initial single bed bug but looking over mattresses last night in both boys rooms and found the attached marks. From looking at this site I am thinking & hoping nothing but looking for expert confirmation. There are comments in each picture.

Other info or rationalization: After pictures taken I tried to smear the marks with spit and they would not smear. There is a possibility of blood stains from small cuts on back of my hands and cuticles.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1464/25249617694_a27f4b140a_o.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1587/25882338245_2a72ce4f03_o.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1676/25856413416_a0296f611a_o.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1668/25856413616_9ddc340e32_o.jpg

Thanks again for the support!

Doc

20. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Mar 18 2016 9:49:04
    #

Login to Send PM

P.S.
    My 5 year old son in bedroom # 2 (not the room of the original single bed bug) got a mark on his left thumb large knuckle that looked like a scrape on Tuesday. At the time he said it was from gym. Last night (2 days later) during shower he states it itches and looking it has a red center spot. Upon asking about scrape from gym he now states that it was there before gym and he just noticed it there during gym so naturally this started a concern of maybe a single bite from Tuesday with itching starting Thursday and the looking at bedding above.... Of course this could be the skewed memory of a 5 year old... Nothing like being paranoid!

Looking forward to the expert review of above photos....

Thanks, Doc

21. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Mar 18 2016 9:55:59
    #

Login to Send PM

P.S.S. How many more details can I remember about the above 2 posts before expert ID?

On Monday we washed and inspected bed # 2 and I did know about the old yellowish mark on the side mattress protector but did not make note of or disregarded the other 2 marks: bed protector super small spot on side and mattress encasement smear on side bottom edge near foot of bed. This is why the marks are now circled in pencil so they do not get flagged again....

Thanks again! Doc

22. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Mar 18 2016 11:42:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't think any of that is bedbug related.

23. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Mar 18 2016 11:59:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks again Jim!!!! I really appreciate the support!!!!

I was hoping not bedbug related as well but also good to get a pro opinion. Seemed somewhat confident since I couldn't smear with spit. I did recall/remember that weeks ago I did have a cut on a knuckle that did put a blood spot on one of the encasements but I couldn't remember which one (I think the original bed #1 spot?). Now the spots are circled so we will know if new spots appear...

Today marks 28 days (4 weeks) since the 1-st single bedbug was found on bed #1 so I guess we are really good to go.... Naturally, we will keep up vigilance as noted above...

Thanks again!!!!!

24. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Mar 18 2016 13:12:35
    #

Login to Send PM

You're welcome.

25. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Mar 24 2016 23:36:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,
    Well it's been 35 days and today my wife washed the bed in my other sons room (not the bed or bedroom with the original single bug above) and when I was making the bed after wash and dry I noticed 3 spots on one side on outside fabric of water proof allergy pillow cases (inside is plastic like membrane). The spots resemble the pictures in this older post below.. Unfortunately I was not thinking straight and already spot cleaned the marks off without taking photos... Duh! What I can say is the marks were rust colored and pretty good size (2 - 3mm diameter, definitely bigger than pen dot 1 mm) and started coming off with spit and came out with Shout (after wash and dry). From reading here is it accurate to say bug fecal would have set in after wash and dry even on allergy pillow cases and not appear like this other post and not be able to be cleaned out after wash and dry? Basically, how would fecal on an allergy pillow case appear after wash & dry (black or down) and would it be able to be spot cleaned or set in? Is it even really a risk considering original issue was other bedroom 35 days earlier and everything else posted above where we have been clear with no issues?

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/please-helpwhat-is-this

Thanks again! Doc

26. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Mar 24 2016 23:59:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello again,
    Above is meant to say "brown" not down....

Additional question: I found this debris under a pillow in this same bed this past week. I think booger or other not-bug debris as I thought exoskeleton would be whole but wanted to double check if this is possible part of an exoskeleton since there is a ridge like line... Magnified photo is iPhone through a 10x eye loop and other photo is with pen for size reference...

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/138822605@N06/25416810573/

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/138822605@N06/25746489270/

Thanks again for answering both posts if bug related:
    1. This debris post
    2. Pillow case stains post above

Thanks!!!! Doc

27. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Mar 25 2016 6:39:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Doesn't look bedbug related.

28. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Mar 25 2016 6:42:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Jim.

I assume you mean the debris post. Can you elaborate on the pillow encasement post before that and questions.

Thanks again! Doc

29. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Mar 25 2016 6:53:47
    #

Login to Send PM

You mean the photo from the first link that dates back two years? Highly doubt that it would be fecal related.

30. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Mar 25 2016 7:36:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Jim,
    Yes that old post only used as "reference similar to this" because I stupidly spot cleaned our pillow encasement.... Here are pictures of spots now as spot cleaned after wash and dry.... The one is along a side seam and the other is centered on main pillow surface about 3 inches from end... That's why the questions about color, size and clean-ability of spots after wash and dry on waterproof allergy pillow case.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/138822605@N06/25420364484/

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/138822605@N06/25420373174/

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/138822605@N06/25958834471/

Thanks! Doc

31. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Mar 25 2016 11:00:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Nothing bedbug related.

32. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Mar 25 2016 13:35:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Jim!!!! Whew!!!

33. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Mar 28 2016 19:46:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry I'm back for a little more help....

Got following mark on my temple about 4 days after similar mark on opposite temple. I am assuming acne...

Also found following bug (2 pictures - 1 thru 10x eye loop and one with pen tip for scale). To me it looks like bettle (dermestid/carpet).

Looking for confirmation if bed bug related or not.

Thanks again! Doc

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/138822605@N06/26077883516/

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/138822605@N06/26077832296/

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/138822605@N06/25499017754/

34. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Mar 28 2016 21:46:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello again,
    Besides reviewing pictures in previous post for opinion, here is one more of underside of bug found...

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/138822605@N06/26013007572/

Thanks again! Doc.

35. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Mar 29 2016 7:06:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Isopod.

36. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Mar 29 2016 7:08:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Isopod I think.

37. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Mar 29 2016 7:15:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks again for the help! Greatly appreciated!!!!!!

38. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Mar 29 2016 7:21:29
    #

Login to Send PM

doc holiday - 9 hours ago  » 
    Hello again,
    Besides reviewing pictures in previous post for opinion, here is one more of underside of bug found...
    https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/138822605@N06/26013007572/
    Thanks again! Doc.

It would help to turn it over and take a shot.

39. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Mar 29 2016 8:18:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lou,
    There are 2 top side shots in the previous post but here again...

Got following mark on my temple about 4 days after similar mark on opposite temple. I am assuming acne...

Also found following bug (2 pictures - 1 thru 10x eye loop and one with pen tip for scale). To me it looks like bettle (dermestid/carpet).

Looking for confirmation if bed bug related or not.

Thanks again! Doc

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/138822605@N06/26077883516/

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/138822605@N06/26077832296/

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/138822605@N06/25499017754/

Thanks,

40. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Mar 29 2016 20:26:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for uploading other views. I was suspicious. Insect: denuded carpet beetle larva.

41. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Mar 30 2016 7:17:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Lou for the confirmation and specific identification! Great help here!!!! Doc.

42. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Apr 4 2016 13:31:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Again,
    Now 45 days since initial contact started this thread and still have spot verification confirmation questions…. Hopefully last of paranoia…

On Saturday (day 43) was washing and inspecting the bedding in son#2’s bed (not the room of the single bed bug found to start this thread) and found the following spots. These are basically the same as the spot found posted above on Friday March 18: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1464/25249617694_a27f4b140a_o.jpg

These new spots are all found on the stretchy side of a mattress protector over the mattress encasement at the other corner at the foot of the bed. There are no spots on the fitted sheet over this mattress protector or the mattress encasement under this mattress protector. The spots do not smear with spit and did not come off in the wash after treating with Shout stain remover.

Photo with multiple dots showing and can just see one of the following double dots near the seam to box spring:
    https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1507/26211252276_80e826eb1e_o.jpg

Photo with 2 dots in same corner as above but were on mattress protector between mattress and box spring (sandwiched between fitted sheet and encasement and both with no stains or marks):
    https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1710/26170325401_43177aec18_o.jpg

Closer to 2 dots at box spring seam:
    https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1602/26170322251_58a422d315_o.jpg

Double dots at box spring seam from inside mattress protector:
    https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1652/26144184452_9a603fd05f_o.jpg

I am “assuming” this will again yield not bed bug related but also any ideas of what it could be is appreciated…

Also feel free to elaborate/confirm that at this time I can back off and relax a little in that if there was an issue we should be seeing more “signs”… Sometimes need a shot of expert confidence to alleviate the paranoia…

Thanks again for reviewing and providing your expertise!

Doc

43. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 5 2016 13:23:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Bumping for response to previous post.... Thanks!

44. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 5 2016 16:51:11
    #

Login to Send PM

45. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 5 2016 17:51:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Once again Jim, a hearty thank you for your expertise and coaching!!! Doc

46. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 5 2016 18:51:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Jim Danca rocks (as do all the experts who volunteer their time here).

Best of luck to you. I'm not an expert so take my actions below with a grain of salt. I had a scare (not an actual bug, but what MIGHT have been a delayed reaction to bites after traveling). There are some decent protocols and monitoring, but you just do the best you can. Personally, I don't use the 91% alcohol at all now. It is a contact killer, so no use spraying it around.

I packtite library books and used books on a dishwasher rack (in the packtite). Another friend keeps them in a Ziploc bag for a week and figures something hungry would come out.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  47. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 5 2016 21:36:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks TAOT,
    Yes the experts help & coaching and this site for mutual support is awesome!!!! As GI Joe would say, "knowing is half the battle...". Thanks for your advice as well!

Best of luck to you as well!

Doc.

48. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Apr 18 2016 12:50:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,
    Now at day 59 since 1 female found that started this thread. On day 56 (Friday) found this spot on the inside corner seam of fitted sheet near head of bed in 2-and bedroom (not the bedroom that started this thread...). No mark on mattress protector under this sheet. Mark partially came off with spit (no smear) and mostly off after wash. I am thinking not bed bug related but posting here for expert review... 2 photos: 1 no magnification and 1 thru 10x eye loop. Thanks again!!!!

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/138822605@N06/26441438111/

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/138822605@N06/26415228582/

49. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Apr 18 2016 12:57:53
    #

Login to Send PM

50. doc holiday

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Apr 18 2016 13:22:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Once again Jim, a hearty thank you!!!!! Doc.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,431 posts in 48,820 topics over 151 months by 21,437 of 21,839 members. Latest: bedbugtoronto, stinson, WendyW