Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

ID and advice to determine if we have the BBs!

(4 posts)
  1. bittenandbuggingout

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat May 12 2018 21:13:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all!

Needing some help with an ID and also advice on best way to monitor if we have a bed bug infestation?

https://www.flickr.com/gp/164520987@N06/947U7M

We’re not sure if we have bed bugs or not, but have been treading carefully since we returned from a recent trip to Nepal, where we were getting eaten by lots of different bugs (including chiggers, fleas, mosquitos) – and while we never saw a bed bug there, did treat our stuff on our return as if we did (hot washing all our stuff that we could and baking things in black plastic in Australian sun that couldn’t wash). We did on a couple of occasions see small red bugs crawling on us in Nepal, but put this down to possible chiggers, although in retrospect I guess these could have been nymphs?

We’ve still continued to get bites on our return, but not sure what they’re from….or if we’ve brought back bed bugs or chiggers or something. I had a good hunt around today and found a skin cast of something and also a couple of tiny little crawlies underneath one of our cupboards in our bedroom….however given we’ve only just returned, I’m guessing there wouldn’t be a lot of evidence even if we did have them? Last night, I also saw a tiny red bug crawl across a table when we were at a friends house, which looked like the ones I’d seen in Nepal – would a nymph do that or am I just being super paranoid?

Does this look like a bed bug or book lice? Also, does this skin cast look like a bed bug or something else (possibly spider?)?
    Anyway, I called a pest company today and the guy asked me to send the photos, and called back and said they’re bed bugs, but he also sounded drunk and a bit shady, so not quite sure to believe him and wanted to get second (and third and fourth!) opinions.

We literally didn’t bring anything into our house that wasn’t hot washed or inspected, so I’d be surprised if something did get past us (that’s if we even picked them up in Nepal to begin with!). To make things even more awkward, we’re actually cat-sitting and staying at a family members’ house for the next couple of weeks, so am super paranoid that if we do have something we might have brought it here!!

Also, other than the ID, any advice about what the best monitoring would be over the coming weeks to see if we have brought anything home?

Gah, anyway – any help would be SO appreciated. I’m getting really anxious and worried that we might have something.

Thanks, so much in advance!

2. bittenandbuggingout

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat May 12 2018 21:15:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all!

Needing some help with an ID and also advice on best way to monitor if we have a bed bug infestation?

https://www.flickr.com/gp/164520987@N06/947U7M

We’re not sure if we have bed bugs or not, but have been treading carefully since we returned from a recent trip to Nepal, where we were getting eaten by lots of different bugs (including chiggers, fleas, mosquitos) – and while we never saw a bed bug there, did treat our stuff on our return as if we did (hot washing all our stuff that we could and baking things in black plastic in Australian sun that couldn’t wash). We did on a couple of occasions see small red bugs crawling on us in Nepal, but put this down to possible chiggers, although in retrospect I guess these could have been nymphs?

We’ve still continued to get bites on our return, but not sure what they’re from….or if we’ve brought back bed bugs or chiggers or something. I had a good hunt around today and found a skin cast of something and also a couple of tiny little crawlies underneath one of our cupboards in our bedroom….however given we’ve only just returned, I’m guessing there wouldn’t be a lot of evidence even if we did have them? Last night, I also saw a tiny red bug crawl across a table when we were at a friends house, which looked like the ones I’d seen in Nepal – would a nymph do that or am I just being super paranoid?

Does this look like a bed bug or book lice? Also, does this skin cast look like a bed bug or something else (possibly spider?)?

Anyway, I called a pest company today and the guy asked me to send the photos, and called back and said they’re bed bugs, but he also sounded drunk and a bit shady, so not quite sure to believe him and wanted to get second (and third and fourth!) opinions.

We literally didn’t bring anything into our house that wasn’t hot washed or inspected, so I’d be surprised if something did get past us (that’s if we even picked them up in Nepal to begin with!). To make things even more awkward, we’re actually cat-sitting and staying at a family members’ house for the next couple of weeks, so am super paranoid that if we do have something we might have brought it here!!

Also, other than the ID, any advice about what the best monitoring would be over the coming weeks to see if we have brought anything home?

Gah, anyway – any help would be SO appreciated. I’m getting really anxious and worried that we might have something.

Thanks, so much in advance!

3. micachica

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun May 13 2018 9:42:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Not a bed bug

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun May 13 2018 9:51:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Too bad they're out of focus. One small, dark insect looks like it could be a booklouse. The lighter, membranous object is a shed skin (part of one) of a spider.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

273,694 posts in 44,823 topics over 137 months by 19,675 of 20,380 members. Latest: fish77, Chevycolt15, bedbugbugs