ID [a: book louse]

(15 posts)
  1. waterhead

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu May 11 2017 22:28:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I've had 3 treatments by a CPO, the last on 5/4/17. I just checked the glue traps today and found this in one. It looks to be a first stage nymph.

2. F. Pazos

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 12 2017 0:23:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, bed bug

Professional PCO based in Hong Kong specialized in Bed Bugs.
  3. misery

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 12 2017 1:06:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I strongly disagree. Wait for more people to comment, but it looks far more like booklice to me than a bed bug.

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 12 2017 3:12:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, that's definitely not a bed bug. I vote book lice. Wait for Lou to confirm.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 12 2017 3:15:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

100% not bed bug.

100% pscocid.

You can see the clearly separate head/neck. n Example below:

pscocid microscope by David Cain, on Flickr

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 12 2017 5:20:34
    #

Login to Send PM

waterhead - 6 hours ago  » 
    I've had 3 treatments by a CPO, the last on 5/4/17. I just checked the glue traps today and found this in one. It looks to be a first stage nymph.

Book louse. You can see that the head but it's difficult to see the bulged clypeus (upper lip). The antennae are very long and thread-like. It's not the commonly encountered species whose picture is often shown on posts. Compare your picture to a close-up of a first instar bed bug getting ready to feed on me.
    cimex-n1-feeding-0 by louento.pix, on Flickr

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. waterhead

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 12 2017 7:08:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys.

Looked them up and it says they thrive on mold found in damp areas. My house isn't damp. especially the bedroom.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 12 2017 7:14:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Think of them as an indicator species.

There is lots of their food about so you see lots of them.

As their food is mainly fungal and mold spores there is a high chance you have an undetected issue with one of them. Its often linked to damp but its not an exclusive arrangement.

David

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 12 2017 8:18:31
    #

Login to Send PM

waterhead - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks guys.
    Looked them up and it says they thrive on mold found in damp areas. My house isn't damp. especially the bedroom.

Damp is relative and what might be going on in a wall or under a floor or in a ceiling is not visually detectable. Also there is moisture in bathrooms due to use of water such as in shower, tub or sink and there could be an issue around the grout and behind the unit installation. Condensation out of view can be an issue. Drains can be an issue.

10. waterhead

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 12 2017 8:48:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks again, I do appreciate it.

I am doing an extensive remodeling so I have detailed knowledge of everything in my house, including what's in the walls. I reroofed the house 3 years ago (by myself). I gutted and redid the bathroom last year. The bedrooms were to be this years project, as most of the walls were already torn out and replaced by previous work. They are bare studs on the bedroom side.

The basement isn't wet, and I have a dehumidifier running down there. That's what makes me wonder what they are feeding on... I'll have to double check everything!

11. waterhead

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 12 2017 10:56:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I have found a possible food source. A glue trap near it did not snare any of them there.

I tried to take a better picture of it, and just thought I'd share it.

12. F. Pazos

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 12 2017 18:18:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Ups.... Sorry..... Thats what happens when you look at it while in a car, talking to other people by phone and you look at the photo under the sun..... It wont happen again....

13. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 12 2017 19:12:10
    #

Login to Send PM

F. Pazos: It wont happen again....
    ------------------
    It happens. Every pro here has made a mistaken bed bug ID, with the exception of Lou, but then again, he's Lou. Just want to say again that your expertise and contributions here are appreciated. If I ever had bed bugs, you would be on my short list, assuming you relocated a little closer to the U.S.

Richard

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat May 13 2017 1:21:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard56 - 6 hours ago  » 
    Every pro here has made a mistaken bed bug ID, with the exception of Lou

Actually Lou has made a mistake. In his case, though, he caught himself and changed it. I mention this because even Lou can make a mistake. But he's so good he tends to discover that quickly too.

15. F. Pazos

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun May 14 2017 17:21:32
    #

Login to Send PM

😊

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,734 posts in 48,881 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,861 members. Latest: NHbugs, nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver