(4 posts)
  1. itchy585

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 14 2012 0:15:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone,

I live in a smallish apartment building in Rochester NY, in a 2-bedroom unit with my girlfriend and another person. PCO confirmed we have bedbugs today, but there was an infestation in the building months ago and I have been having bites since before the landlord informed us about the problem. (So I'm very itchy and very frustrated.)

This week, while we were waiting for the landlord to get back to us about scheduling a PCO visit, I washed and dried all of my clothes on hot. I had bought Sterilite plastic bins from Target and then I put the clothes directly in them. They have handles/hinges that snap shut. Now I've read the forums and it looks like that wasn't a good thing to do, because the bins aren't watertight and BBs might be able to climb them. I have been opening the bins and (with clean hands) taking clothes out each day to go to work, but otherwise leaving them stacked and sealed in the living room.

So...do I have to re-dry all of my clothes? For the most part, they were hanging in my closet before I spent a zillion dollars at the laundromat. Would I be able to see eggs in the bins? Have I effectively wasted time and money? Could I spray something in the bins and then tape them shut?

I'm in AmeriCorps, which means that I work full time and make exactly the federal poverty-level income--suffice it to say that I can't buy a whole new wardrobe or invest in a lot of fancy gear.

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 14 2012 0:26:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear itchy,

Some comments for your review and consideration:

> These containers are "good enough" so don't fret them. However, see below.

> SOme containers have "vent holes" and we don't want any holes. Check for these holes, they are usually found near the handle areas. Simply tape over the holes to seal them.

> If the sides of your bins are smotth enough then bed bugs will not be able to climb up the sides.

> If you have any doubts then sort your clothes wisely. Place those items that you are NOT going to use in the time it takes to rid your place of bed bugs into certain bins. You can then use packing tape to seal these bins to assure that no bed bugs can enter.

> Use slected bins for the clothes you plan to use "right now" and use these clothes and the containers carefully.

Let us know if any other questions or concerns.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

3. itchy585

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 23 2012 10:13:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for the info! I taped the bin that has air holes and I'm trying to reduce my use to just some of the bins. PCO finally came this past Friday, so we will see. I really appreciate it!

4. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 23 2012 10:18:37
    #

Login to Send PM

To second Paul with an unscientific anecdote: I used smooth bins by sterlite and rubbermaid when I moved. (I put items in ziplocks inside) I managed to move without transferring bbs. Even if they could climb it, they're in your home and there are more comfortable places to nest than in and around smooth plastic.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,696 posts in 50,018 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur