I thought it was a small problem...?

(5 posts)
  1. ScorchedBedBugPolicy

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Sep 23 2016 23:23:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I've definitively confirmed over the past few days that my s/o has a bedbug problem in his house. His ex has had a raging infestation in her house, which is apparently not under control (yet), and so whenever his son goes between houses several times a week...you get the idea. Now I'm concerned that I may bring it into my own home. Over the course of the past several weeks, I've found about eight bedbugs total and one possible egg, six of those bedbugs over the past few days. (One was a big fat one clinging to the inside of my shirt...at least he had the last meal he desired.)

I tried to tell my s/o when we found the first problem that he needed to get on it about getting rid of them, but he didn't seem to think he had a problem and didn't want to pay for DE or anything to get rid of them. Now that I've been house and babysitting since he's out of town, I've gotten bitten up all over myself in the past several days.

So far, I haven't found any bedbugs in my own home (I checked around my mattress and box spring), but I have gotten a few bites while at home. I had a nasty flea infestation in July/August, so I don't know if there are still a few hardy ones of those around biting me, or if I've been getting bitten by the houseflies and fruit flies that seem to like hanging out in my kitchen and bedroom. But I feel like as long as my s/o's ex has the problem, he won't be able to get rid of his completely, and by extension, if I don't have bedbugs in my house now, it's only a matter of time before I do.

Over the past couple of years, I got a resistant form of scabies from my s/o (he was a driver and himself apparently got them from his shared work vehicle), which, let me tell you, when I finally discovered that *they* were gone from me for good, it was a "Hallelujah!" moment. Then this summer, I discovered the aforementioned nasty infestation of fleas cropping up, with all five of my cats and our dog affected. (My fourteen-pound, big-boned cat even found herself slightly anemic from the doggone fleas.) The little buggers ganged up on me wherever I walked. I can't tell you, between administering Advantage to the animals and drowning whatever ones climbed on me or my bed, what scale of flea genocide was committed by yours truly. Now that those two parasite problems have been dealt with...now begbugs?

My dog was scratching the crap out of himself, even weeks after having been treated with Advantage. I combed him twice and only found a couple of dead or dying fleas both times. Now it makes sense that if there are bedbugs in my s/o's house, they've been biting the tar out our poor dog.

I don't mind spending a lot of time alone, but I do like to go out on occasion, and this is ruining my social life. It's also ruining a chance I might have at a particular work-from-home job. I'm so sick of parasites at this point.

2. ScorchedBedBugPolicy

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Sep 24 2016 4:22:44
    #

Login to Send PM

The little buggers ganged up on me wherever I walked. I can't tell you, between administering Advantage to the animals and drowning whatever ones climbed on me or my bed, what scale of flea genocide was committed by yours truly.

I realize that this is worded a little strangely. I drowned the fleas that jumped on me and my bed. I didn't drown my pets, and they always like to jump on me or my bed (although I'm sure my cats think I'm trying to drown them when I stick them in the sink to wash their paws off after they've stepped in something gross).

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 25 2016 1:16:03
    #

Login to Send PM

The skin reactions you think are occurring at home may be happening at your SO's-- bed bug bites are typically delayed, and they can appear hours, days, or even a week after you're bitten, depending on the person (and possibly other factors).

Bed bug monitors are a good idea in both your places. In his, they will help you when you're trying to determine if the problem is gone. In yours, to determine if you brought it in.

Is he getting professional treatment? Sorry if I missed that. (Tired!)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. ScorchedBedBugPolicy

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 26 2016 0:14:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for replying! I guess it's possibly that I got bitten at my s/o's and the bites showed up at my house, although this past week, when I've been more-or-less staying at his house, bites have not taken long to show up at all. Then again, too, the earlier bites could've been from the aforementioned fleas or flies. (The cool weather and Advantage has helped with the fleas, but they could still be around in small numbers.)

I'll make up some bed bug monitors this week to put in both his home and mine. My younger stepson complained about bed bugs being in his bedroom this evening after he came over from his mother's house. I told him that as long as he's coming over from his mom's house, he could be bringing them with him in/on his clothes and bags. I told him to check his clothing and bags before he leaves his mother's house and that his mother would need to get an exterminator and do some cleaning/redding up at her house.

My s/o is not currently getting professional help for this, but when he comes home today, I'll discuss it with him. I think landlords in this state (Pennsylvania) are required to pay for extermination, so that might give him and his ex an incentive to get things under control in their respective homes and (hopefully) save me from getting them in my home.

5. ScorchedBedBugPolicy

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 26 2016 16:54:04
    #

Login to Send PM

And now I've discovered that it's possible that the current boyfriend of my s/o's ex was the one who introduced them to the ex's house. I thought my younger stepson had picked them up from another kid in school, which I think would've been easier to deal with, it being a chance introduction of the parasite. Arrrrgh! It's one long chain leading to my doorstep....

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,850 posts in 50,050 topics over 155 months by 21,878 of 22,364 members. Latest: Datnguyen, Mariam, GoingBananas