I *think* we won.

(7 posts)
  1. THEM

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Nov 4 2014 10:44:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Back in March, my wife started getting bitten. I wasn't, so we assumed that it was mosquitos or something -- she likes to sit on the back steps at night. Turns out, I'm just one of those people who doesn't show any reaction.

By May, when the kids started showing signs of being bitten, we knew that we had bedbugs. Didn't want to admit it, mind, and it was a little while longer before we found any traces, but there really wasn't much doubt. No idea where we got them from -- public transit, a taxi, the library...who knows?

Contacted Prodigy Pest Control here in Philadelphia in June; got a quote from them for a heat treatment (about $2000 for our row home), along with all of the instructions. We're a cluttered family, though, and between that and several hospitalizations for my wife it wasn't until early September that we were ready.

Called them again, set up an appointment, and a week later it was done. We lost a few crayons to the heat treatment, a cheap plastic mirror frame was warped, and the housing for one of the fire alarms that we removed drooped and now looks like something from a Dali painting. Other than that, no damage. Not even to my father's artwork, which we'd had to leave in the house because at least one of them was housing bugs.

Our bedroom was an eight, on a scale of one to ten. The kids' bedroom was -- and this is a quote -- an "eleven". They were EVERYWHERE, including behind the plastic hooks that we'd hung posters on.

We put the house back together, put cases on the mattresses, and hoped.

A week later, we found a live bug. Slow, sluggish, hadn't fed...but alive. Prodigy was out the next day.

A week after that, another one. My wife was bitten. Again, Prodigy came out. Put down DE, but out some glue traps, checked around, found nothing more.

Two weeks, another one, also hadn't fed. Did a small steam treatment this time, put out more traps...which I checked, obsessively.

And then, once more! Crawling on the living room carpet. The owner of Prodigy came out, looked around. I told him that I knew that we were getting near the end of our sixty day guarantee, and he told me not to worry about that: "We're not that kind of company. We're here until the bugs aren't."

Considering that there was no way that we could AFFORD another treatment, this was probably the best thing that I'd hear all year.

Three weeks no, no sign. No bites, nothing. It's difficult to check, considering all of the marks from the previous infestation, but things seem good. And if they aren't, I know who to call.

Quite honestly, I could not possibly be more impressed with Prodigy. They listened, they answered, they got back to me VERY quickly (including on a holiday), and they've been very responsive. And responsible.

I'm not sure if I'll every stop twitching when I see something dark on the bedsheets, or feel something on my skin...but now, at least, I'm capable of optimism.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Nov 5 2014 0:36:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for posting your success story! Good wishes to you.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. THEM

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 11:08:42
    #

Login to Send PM

So, let me update....

We found bugs again. This is almost certainly a reinfestation -- the little bastards don't normally lay low for six months before launching an ambush, and my son offhandedly mentioned that his friend's mom's had bedbugs at her house, so. Yeah.

Son may have shown signs of bites, but they faded quickly. We found a couple live ones, and several deaders in the glue traps that I had stopped checking because I got complacent.

Don't get complacent.

I had a full-on panic attack, I'm not going to lie. I have been incredibly stressed out since my wife called me to report finding a bug last week, to the point of being unable to keep food down.

But I called Prodigy again, and once again I have been amazed by just how wonderful it is to work with them. After our last treatment, I was honestly so happy with how they handled things that I was going out of my way to rave about Prodigy to anyone who would listen. It's been just as good this time.

They came out and inspected right away; it looks as though we're in very early days, and things aren't bad at all. No live ones were found, but (with financial aid from our in-laws) we're going to get the steam/pesticide treatment, along with a followup in a few weeks, to make sure things the bugs don't get a foothold.

Prodigy's been quick, and responsive, and the only reason that they haven't already treated us (three days after calling them) is that our landlord's phone died and he was unreachable. That's been dealt with, we're set up for tomorrow, and I am about as relaxed as I can be under the circumstances.

We're going to get the usual exemplary follow-up support from Prodigy, so no worries there, but they apparently now offer an inspection service that will come out every few months to check things over. Haven't gotten pricing details yet, but getting a checkup on a quarterly basis has a very strong appeal at this point.

Long story short: We won the battle, the war continues, but I have every expectation of a victory.

4. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 12:16:35
    #

Login to Send PM

THEM -  » 
    the little bastards

Indeed!!!!!

THEM -  » 
    Long story short: We won the battle, the war continues, but I have every expectation of a victory.

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this again. It is fantastic, though, that you have confidence in your PCO/Pest Company!

Good Luck and I hope this battle is won quickly . . . and that this battle is the end of your bed bug war!!

5. paranoidaboutbugs

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 15:13:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the great story! May you win the war against bed bugs! *claps and cheers for a great outcome*

Let's get down the business... to defeat... the bugs. HWAH!
  6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 23:14:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope this is all behind you for good very, very soon.

7. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu May 7 2015 2:20:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Good for you. I was bitten last summer n fall n let me tell you--I felt hopeless. Yet somehow? And with Cimexa and education and lots and Lots of work? It's May. And no bites for MONTHS. And I had bed bugs confirmed via Lou.

Truth is, these little bustards can be defeated, but oh Lordy it really took work. U

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,319 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto