(6 posts)
  1. Dawne

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 1 2011 12:29:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey everyone,

Four days ago (June 27, 2011) I noticed 2 red bumps on my right elbow that were insanely itchy. The next day, I had 2 more red bumps on the back of my right arm, one on my lower back, and about 6 near my left under arm. Now, 2 days later, I have a total of 40+ of these ridiculously itchy red bumps all localized in the same aforementioned areas, plus 3 on my right foot and one on my right index finger. I went on a vacuuming rampage and started looking up bed bugs, how to get rid of them, how to identify them and their bites, etc. And so far haven't had much luck getting rid of them. I don't even know for sure if bed bugs is what the issue is because I never found any evidence of them when I did vacuum.

So far I haven't found a single thing (blood spots, fecal matter, etc.) that suggests it is, in fact, bed bugs. But every morning I wake up with at least 7+ additional itchy red bumps. (Usually on my arms.) My husband claims that he's not being bitten at all, which I find especially hard to believe after reading on this site that some people don't have a reaction to the bites!

Unfortunately, I took my husband's advice and we have been sleeping on the new couch for the past 2 nights. The first night I woke up with no new bites at all, but this morning when I woke up, I found that I am covered in new ones. I look like I have chicken pox all over my arms and foot. I haven't vacuumed the couch yet, and frankly, I'm afraid to because I don't want to find that we spent the money on this thing, only to have to replace it within a week of owning it..

I'll have no choice but to vacuum it tonight when I get home, but if I still don't find anything, does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? I don't want to tell my landlord there's a bed bug infestation if there aren't actually any bed bugs.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Dawne

2. Dawne

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 1 2011 12:31:07
    #

Login to Send PM

P.S. I forgot to mention that if the couch comes up clean after I vacuum it, do you think a neighbour's infestation could have been passed on to me?

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 1 2011 20:12:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs could have come into your home in any number of ways -- from a visitor, or from you visiting a place with bed bugs, from an attached neighbor, from something you bought (even new). It's impossible to say.

You need to first determine that the problem is bed bugs. You could have someone inspect, or you could implement some monitors (see this FAQ).

You can also hire a human inspector or hire a canine team. If it's the former, they should take time to inspect carefully. If it's a canine team, please read this FAQ before hiring a team.

If you are renting, it may be your landlord's responsibility to treat, depending where you live. It's worth finding out the local laws. If neighbors have bed bugs, this needs to be determined so that all infested units can be dealt with.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. bbgirl

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jul 2 2011 7:24:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't throw out your new couch - if you do have bedbugs you can get encasements for the couch and the mattress and box spring to put on after they have been treated and then you will still be able to use them. You also have to determine exactly what the problem is first. I have to admit though I did dispose of some wood furniture that I didn't want to battle over. If I had really wanted to keep it I could have had it treated or encased it by wrapping it in plastic.

5. Dawne

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jul 4 2011 23:00:53
    #

Login to Send PM

It is definitely bed bugs. I found and caught one in a container and have since killed several others while vacuuming. They are definitely coming from the couch that we just recently bought, and we have a PCO coming to take care of us on Wednesday, compliments of our apartment building. It doesn't seem like a big infestation, and the buggers seem to be staying within the perimeter of diatomaceous earth we laid around the couch. My fingers are crossed that this will be a relatively quick and painless infestation removal.

Anyone have any suggestions for easing the itchy bites?? I have an ointment that I've been using, but I have to cover it with a bandaid or it smears all over everything.. I'm starting to run out of bandaids..

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jul 4 2011 23:48:59
    #

Login to Send PM

You might want to document this and talk to the company that sold/shipped the sofa.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82