Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

I think I am going CRAZY! Do you think I have them?

(8 posts)
  1. VicPedretti

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jul 21 2010 23:25:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is my situation..

My ex husband has had bed bugs in his home since late 2006. He "says" he has tried multiple times to have a pc remove them, but my 9 y/o son keeps coming home covered from head to toe in bites. My son also says he sees the bugs in his room and elsewhere in the house.

When my two sons come back to my house, I immediately strip them of their clothes and wash them, but last time they came home from his house I forgot.

My 3 y/o daughter and I sleep on our stuffed couch at night, (always) and a week ago she awoke with three small red dots (bite marks) on her face. Two nights ago, she had a bite mark on her arm and last night she got another bite mark next to the one on the previous night. I don't have any bites.

I am pretty OCD when it comes to this, so I tore my house apart and searched every nook and cranny of my couch. I vacuumed under my couches, steamed my carpet, steamed my couch, vacuumed my couch and all my floors, under everything movable. I didn't see any signs of bedbugs anywhere. No eggs, no skins.. but I do however have tiny grayish brown spots on my suede couch that come off in flakes when I continually pick at them. (not sure if its even blood or fecal matter..) and they are in various places all over the cushions.. not clustered. I think I am going crazy. I am paranoid at the idea that my home is infested. I just can't prove it.

I wouldn't be so worried if it weren't for my ex husbands house being heavily infested, and my inability to know if it has been carried on to my house. I can't make him treat his home, so my home will always be exposed! I feel helpless, and now I feel disgusted too.

Does anyone have advice for me? Example of how to find them? Am I crazy!?

Thank you to those who read my book of woes! Any my apologies if I put this post in the wrong category. I am a noob.

2. WGarrow

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jul 22 2010 0:34:19
    #

Login to Send PM

When did it happen that you forgot to strip off your son's clothes? If it was very recently, an infestation would take a little while to take root.

Worst case scenario: Your son's had 2 or 3 bed bugs on them. It takes up to 11 days for their eggs to hatch, and then the nymphs have to mature for a while before they begin to reproduce. You wouldn't see any signs of an infestation for a while except a couple bites(they feed only once a week, if that often).

The spots on your couch don't sound like fecal matter to me. It is excreted in tiny liquid drops, and would soak into the fabric(but suede I'm not positive about).

Keep stripping your son's clothes immediately upon return and put them straight into the washer along with any other clothes they packed up. Have them pack their clothes in some kind of canvas bag you can throw in the dryer for half an hour on high heat. Keep checking for bed bugs in your residence. Bite marks could be other insects or allergies or heat rash also.

3. bugnut

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 30 2010 7:53:30
    #

Login to Send PM

If your ex's house has been infested for 4 years it will be teeming with them. If he is in a standalone house and not an apartment, it should be easier to control that a multi unit. Is he even trying?

That being said, it seems that his home is a "hostile environment" for your children and perhaps you should consider blocking them from staying there. I do not know the legal implications, but sending a kid to sleep in a place where he will be bitten all night sounds pretty bad to me -

4. VicPedretti

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 30 2010 17:31:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond..

It was on July 1st when they came home from their dads house, that I forgot to change their clothing right away. I have been dealing with this drama for so long now that I cant believe I forgot!

Since my last post, my daughter hasn't had but two more pink bite looking marks on her face, but I had 14 small red slightly swollen bite looking marks on just my forearms. No where else. They don't itch, actually they are a little tender. They appeared last Monday morning (7/26) They are gone now.. but I hate the idea that I will have more.

I called a professional and they will be out to my house on Monday. I don't know if they will find anything. I am 50/50 on the whole thing.. 50% hopeful they will find something so I can start getting rid of them, and 50% hopeful they don't find anything.. however then I will always have that thought in my mind that they missed something.

To Bugnut.. Awesome name by the way.. I call my boys bugnuts.. lol, their father lived in a dive apartment 2 years ago, and had them there for two years, and transferred them to his new house. He says he has been treating them, but my son always comes home with bite marks. I wish I could keep them from going to his house, but sadly the Department of Child and Family Services said that there is no physical harm, mostly just a nuisance, and they don't consider it to be neglectful parenting.. I beg to differ.

Thank you for your responses to my post. I hopefully will find out on Monday whether or not I need to break out the big guns on the little B@$t@rd$!

5. infestedwbb

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 30 2010 18:08:50
    #

Login to Send PM

vic, my bites never itched before I realized it was bedbugs and a heat wave kicked in. So no itching does not mean it's not bedbugs.

it sucks that you can't do anything about your ex-husband's situation. I agree with you that a 4 year infestation is lack of care !

6. fallacious_8686

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 4:46:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I was itchy alllllllll over that is how i knew i was infested. plus i've seen the bugs ick but i would mostly get bit on my feet, ankles, and lets roughly up to my knee. When i realized it was bedbugs I started sleeping on the couch, i think my cats carried the bugs from the bed to the couch and they started biting my arms and back, but I would wake up with somewhere in between 20-40 bites.... but if the professional doesn't find anything and your still worries, i found out recently that if you duct tape the feet of your couch and beds that the bugs can't climb the duct tape, and i've also heard that if you take a bounce and rub your body down with it then the bugs don't like the smell and wont bite you, and they dont like the smell of moth balls, so if you duct tape the legs of your couch and vacuum it and steam clean it or even just spray it with an insecticide and place moth balls between your cushions that will also stop them it worked for my friends who were infested in there couch and they have only seen two bugs since they did that.. hope that helps a little,

7. Jmarie

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 26 2012 7:41:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree, bed bugs havent been foudn to transmit any diseases, YET. They carry something like over 28 different pathogens of human blood, bed bugs can also carry HIV, but alledgedly they cannot transfer it; or scientists have yet to prove this....anyway you look at it, it is not a situation any mother wants their kid in. Some people just don't get it, if they don't see the bugs, they pretend like theyre not there and live in denial. I would try a court order or something to get him to treat, or if it's not too hostile, sit down and explain your concerns to him. It is perfectly resonable to not allow your kids there until he agrees to get treated. These bites are nasty. Before I was aware of my bugs, I had assumed a mosquito bit me in the same spot THREE TIMES!!!. I've never itched that bad, and it took over 2 weeks to heal, then bruised badly for about another week before I was good to go again, this is not something your innocent kids deserve. If he's too lazy to take care of his bed bugs., he's probably gonna be too lazy to take you to court over this issue; so if I were you and he's unresponsive to your requests, I'd explain it as nicely as possible to your children, and deal with him on another level and make him aware he needs to provie a safe and healthy environment for his children with joint custody! Good Luck!
    JMarie

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 26 2012 8:06:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi jmarie,
    This conversation is from Sept. 2010 and in most cases, the participants are unlikely to be around still. You can check when messages are posted in the information under the poster's name on the left.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,455 posts in 48,828 topics over 151 months by 21,440 of 21,843 members. Latest: Beardface, BugBrosHauntingMe, brokengarage