I suspect that I have bed bugs, should I tell my landlord right away

(6 posts)
  1. pinheadbites

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Aug 12 2018 15:13:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I lived in a rooming house for about three weeks in June. I highly suspect that this rooming house had bed bugs. I moved into a new apartment on August 1st after drying all of my clothes in a laundromat. I brought no furniture with me. About 5 or 6 days ago while in my new apartment, I noticed a line of about a dozen pin-head scabs on my right shin and a cluster of about a dozen pin-head scabs on my right calve. These scabs scratched of easily yesterday (I probably should have left them on my leg as evidence). I suspect that these pin-head scabs are bed bug bites, despite no itching or swelling. Does anyone agree with me on this suspicion? Should I contact my landlord about my suspicion that I may have brought bed bugs into her apartmentbuilding right away?

2. ijustwannasleep

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Aug 14 2018 19:49:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, I would contact your landlord. I wouldn't necessarily tell him/her that you brought them (because, who knows, maybe they even came from someone else in the building?), because some states have laws that protect landlords if the bed bugs came from the occupant. The sooner you can get an inspection, the better.

3. pinheadbites

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Aug 14 2018 20:33:02
    #

Login to Send PM

If I have brought in bed bugs to my new apartment, at this point it is probably only one or a few. Wouldn't even a professional exterminator have a hard time detecting so few bed bugs? I know that I have a moral obligation to contact my landlord, I just don't know when. Should I wait until I have seen more signs of bed bugs, or should I arrange with my landlord to get a professional inspection now? This whole situation depresses me, because I am afraid I am going to get evicted no matter what I do.

4. mcsmcs

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Aug 14 2018 21:55:17
    #

Login to Send PM

In New York it's illegal to evict you for having bed bugs I believe. I know in Massachusetts you basically can't evict someone for anything but not paying their rent for 6 months after they report bed bugs to prevent retaliation. Now, I know that there's a gap between what's legal and what happens and at times people are powerless. But, you do I believe have some legal protection. There is probably a tenants rights or some sort of other organization if you call 211.

5. mcsmcs

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Aug 14 2018 21:55:17
    #

Login to Send PM

In New York it's illegal to evict you for having bed bugs I believe. I know in Massachusetts you basically can't evict someone for anything but not paying their rent for 6 months after they report bed bugs to prevent retaliation. Now, I know that there's a gap between what's legal and what happens and at times people are powerless. But, you do I believe have some legal protection. There is probably a tenants rights or some sort of other organization if you call 211.

6. ijustwannasleep

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Aug 16 2018 14:33:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Put ClimbUp bed bug monitors under the legs of your bed to help monitor to see if there are bed bugs and maybe buy 2 mattress encasements (one for box spring; another for the mattress) to protect your mattresses and to be sure that there aren't bugs living inside of them. Move your bed away from the wall and don't let your sheets/blankets touch the floor.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,342 posts in 46,553 topics over 141 months by 20,530 of 21,393 members. Latest: northeastbugger, smcsween, Bedbugvaca