I suck at this.

(12 posts)
  1. stylinmama21

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 7 2017 7:48:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone! I'm new to the site and new to BB. My daughter is highly reactive to mosquito bites and about 14 days ago she got this weird "rash". I took her to see 3 different Drs in the first 5 days and no one could explain it. My first thought was BB but because she shares a room with her brother and he didn't have the rash, I figured that wasn't it. When no dr could explain it though I went to work. After 3+ hours of scouring her room on my hands and knees with a flashlight like a damn CSI investigator lol, I found one nymph.

So I took that thing for a 2 hour drive for identification. That how far away I live from the closest exterminator. They said it was a BB. They said they could come in two days. Which leads me to my issues. Lol. That's not really much time to get a household of 5 properly ready for them.

So a few questions.

1. There was no physical way I could have all of our "dryer safe" items done before they came. So I hauled them outside and am slowly bringing them back in one load at a time. Is this ok? It is all in bags and I bring a new bag every time for transport. So I take the things out of the bags, put into a new bag. Wash dry. Then put into another new bag. Is this going work?

2. If the bugs are killed on the risidual contact why is my stuff in bags to begin with?

3. The lady said I have to put everything that is already clean into the dryer for a full hour on high. Everything that is dirty has to be washed then dried then ran in the dryer for another hour on top of that. Is that extra full hour nesscessaey? Only asking as I wasn't the best at keeping up with the laundry so I have probably 10-15 loads of dirty laundry to do and each load is taking 3+ hours. That's severely cutting down on how much I can get done in one day.

4. How often do I do our bedding? As I said, the other laundry is taking me countless hours to catch up on. So if I have to do out bedding daily in the dryer as well, I'm screwed. Lol.

5. Is this even going to work? Since I couldn't do it all before the first treatment should I just go ahead and book a third treatment? The exterminator could only find one harbourage spot and it only had 3 adult bugs. He also said it appears to so far be limited to one room. It hasn't spread yet. As my daughter is so reactive to insect bites I had them here within the first 10 days of bites.

I knew I wouldn't be able to get the prep done properly before they came the first time but I needed the bugs to start dying lol. I figure for everyone that died on the first round that's one less bug to bite my girlie.

Also, we went with chemical only treatment. But I'm considering getting s heat treatment done for a third treatment. Is that a good idea? How many bugs are fully eradicated with two treatments? Especially when I wasn't exactly prepared for the first one?

Thankfully I'm not actually bothered by the thought of bugs so I'm not loosing much sleep. It's just that my daughter is so highly reactive and she easily has over 100 bites. Poor thing. I just want to know the chances of two treatments working when I didn't already have my laundry done before the first one. It will be done before the second.

Oh and naother question. Of course. Lol.

The instructions only said to bag everything. So I did. Everything. What it didn't specify and I later learned, is that I should have a bag of clothing that we will be using each day and only open that bag for the day. What I WAS doing was washing all of the laundry and separating it into bags labelled for each person and taking clothing out of those bags daily and then closing them up. Is that going to work? Or should I find enough clothing for each day, dry it, and give each day its own bag? I'm so lost on how this all works. Lol.

2. stylinmama21

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 7 2017 7:49:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear lord! Sorry for the novel. 😂

3. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 7 2017 8:03:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not knowledgeable on the topic enough to answer all your questions, but I know just the other day I read a response by Big Dummy (one of the experts on the site) to another forum poster stating that the washing of the clothes isn't nearly as important as the drying. It's the heat that kills them- and an hour on high heat worked for me! I did wash and dry the items I knew we'd be needing (work uniforms and kids clothes) but for everything else, I simply put it in the dryer, bagged it up, and marked that they were 'dried'. The things I washed went into an airtight bin, so I could distinguish between 'cleaned' and just 'dried' but also know they were safe.

Also, regarding bedding, I washed and dried every other day, but I did at least pull blankets and the top sheet to run through the dryer every day as soon as we woke up, then bagged them and put the bag on the bed. Just before going to sleep, I put them back on.

I hope that helps!!

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.
  4. stylinmama21

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 7 2017 8:20:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks! I am running the already clean things through the dryer only, it's just that I already had 15 loads of dirty laundry before this all started lol. Each one of those loads takes approx 3 hours due to the exterminator lady telling me the laundry had to be bone dry then run through again for another hour. Do you know if that extra hour is necessary? That's what's really setting me back here. Having to double dry every load. I just have too much laundry and I already threw a lot of it out. Haha.

I'm also VERY concerned about the fact that is wasn't done BEFORE they came. So am I jjstvreinfesting my house every time I bring clothes on to be laundered? Ugh. I wish my daughter wasn't so reactive, maybe we could have just happily coexisted with the BBs then? Lmao. 😱😂

5. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 7 2017 10:54:16
    #

Login to Send PM

My initial washes of dirty, 'infected' clothing and linens and blankets was a regular 15 minute agitation cycle with hot water and detergent, then 75 minutes in a hot dryer. I don't know what the temp of my dryer gets to, I just know that after 75 minutes on high I cannot touch the clothes for a couple minutes because they burn my skin!

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 7 2017 10:57:29
    #

Login to Send PM

That sounds like the dryer is well above the lethal temperature of 120 degrees.

7. stylinmama21

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 7 2017 12:49:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Well I can definitely touch my clothing. But my dryer also has sensors and runs a "cool down" cycle at the end of every cycle no matter what. So I choose "60 minutes on high" and the last 10 minutes or so the dryer switches itself to "cool down". So that's annoying lol. But what I'm wondering is if I have to dry my clothing for 2 cycles? I wash the clothes. Then put them in the dryer wet. Then I run the dryer until they are dry. Then I was advised to do them for ANOTHEE hour ugh. Lol. Do I HAVE to do that extra hour? Or would another 20-30 minutes be sufficient? I have a lot of laundry to do and that extra hour means I can only do 4 loads a day. And that's NOT including the stuff that's already clean that needs to go through the dryer alone OR the things we are wearing daily. I probably have between 30-40 loads to do 15-20 of them are actually first clothes that will need washing. Each load that needs washing a 3 hour load at this point. So 45-60 hours of just dirty stuff. Never mind the already clean stuff.

See my predicament? Hahaha

8. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 7 2017 18:15:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Is the super huge laundromat dryer not an option? Even if just for things that need only a dry, not washing first? Toss some stuff in 2 or 3 of those giant dryers, bag it, and call it a day? Prob costs like $10?

9. stylinmama21

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 7 2017 21:28:33
    #

Login to Send PM

We are 30 miles from the nearest laundromat and I hit a moose with my car just before I found out about the bedbugs. I have the BEST luck hey? 😂 No car means no laundromat. Bummer. 👎

I guess I'll just keep doing 3 hour loads of laundry and demand a third treatment. At this state I won't even have the original preps done until AFTER the SECOND treatment. Lol.

10. stylinmama21

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 7 2017 21:30:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I also just realized we have about 30 Paris of shoes/boots that will also need to go in the dryer. Yup. I'll never be done the prep u too after the treatments are done. Ugh.

11. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 7 2017 21:38:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you heard about or looked in to Nuvan Strips? I've not done a ton of research on it but you may find it helpful! Especially for the boots and shoes! User 'PBello' has a ton of info here on the site. You should check it out.

Moose? Yikes. And 30m away? Yea, that's a tough one. But... don't despair: it WILL work! Just takes time, patience, and a slight loss of sanity. 😉

12. stylinmama21

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 7 2017 21:51:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks! I've read a bit about those strips. I'll have to look and see if they are available in Canada and howling it would take to get here. Generally thing take 2-3 weeks to come to where I live. Lol. By then I'll have a few thousand bugs. Hahaha.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,900 posts in 50,059 topics over 155 months by 21,883 of 22,370 members. Latest: Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019, aims6186