I purchased my B.B. problem on Letgo

(4 posts)
  1. Rose101

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 6 2018 16:32:59
    #

Login to Send PM

At least that isn’t what I believe. I purchased a barely used sectional sofa using the online service and 30 days later noticed my first bites. We have done plenty of heating/packing/cleaning/spraying/dusting both of the entire sectional (it is very large) and of the surroundings walls beds etc. so I think we are going to win the B.B. battle but I’m starting to wonder if they came in with the couch or not? No live bugs were ever found in the piece (my husband thinks there were a few suspect spots, maybe eggs but no skins or other evidence...) but they were, however, found under our bed. Here is the timeline:

Timeline:
    12/10/17 purchased used sectional sofa. Intended to treat for B.B. but steam cleaned it and saw no signs.
    First bites appeared Jan 3-4 only on me
    Found live bug (tiny clear except for blood in belly) on my leg while sitting on the couch researching what to do. Caught it in a ziplock bag alive.
    Jan 5-6 bought B.B. spray and dust and DE then began prepping (heat bag pack clothing) dusted the mattress and around the bed with Ortho dust from Home Depot to at least start killing them until a thorough inspection could be done. Stayed off couch until it could be sprayed but did dust the baseboards in living room and bedroom and childs room to keep them spreading around (at least that was my intention) . I spent the next few days heating and packing into clear bags then duck taping and then into plastic totes all of our clothing in my bedroom so that we could inspect without spreading them.
    Jan 9-10 we finally inspect the bedroom....
    Dead and dying bugs found in a shirt under the bed that had been dusted prior but not moved for fear of scatter.
    Dying bugs found in box under bed upon more thorough inspection. Removed everything under the bed to black garbage bags taped and outside they went.
    Dusted room, mattress, bed frame etc.
    sprayed couch then dusted after dry. Dusted living room cracks outlets
    Changed bed linens after a few days of no bites.
    No bites from the day we began to powder until feb 5th when I had begun to use the couch again this past weekend. Here we go again, I was just starting to feel ok again and wham. 4 bites on my arms. I never slept on it but I was immobile for a few hours.
    Feb 5:
    Re-Dusted couch and bedrooms once more.
    Will purchase a mattress encasement, reinspect bedframe etc. will deep clean house.
    Feb 6: additional bite on foot.
    Feb 7: spent time on couch-no new bites

So here I am, today, wondering if maybe it wasn’t the couch at all? Does the timeline work? Could I have brought them in another way? My husband says it’s just probably whatever eggs are hatching since we sprayed and dusted last. So maybe this go round will end the madness? I need reassurance. I am also looking into the new Biopesticide (or the diy version) that uses the fungus spores to infect the colony. For a preventative going forward. Thoughts?

2. HifromChi

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Feb 7 2018 12:06:49
    #

Login to Send PM

There is always a risk of exposing yourself to bedbugs by purchasing used furniture without fully inspecting it before bringing it into a home, unfortunately, that's not the only way they get brought in. You can pick them up from traveling and staying in hotel rooms, by using public trans, movie theaters, other homes you've visited, your place of work, etc. They are pretty good hitchhikers.

Are you in an apartment or stand-alone home? They can migrate from other infested units too, especially if a unit is being treated for an active infestation. I contracted bed bugs by having a new mattress and box spring that was delivered in an infected truck, due to used mattresses being mixed up with them. I caught my problem about two weeks in thankfully and knocked it out in two treatments using a PCO that used a combo of heat treatment, cimexa powder and residual spray.

It sounds like you're on the right course, but I would post what you've found here so an expert can officially confirm if it is an actual bed bug, and if you are living in a multi-unit situation, then you should contact the landlord or management company of the building so you can get a better idea of the approach you should take (they are usually responsible for treatments) and if there are other infestations being dealt with, otherwise, you'll just keep treating your unit, which sends the bugs scattering to safer ground to another unit, only to return to yours once the dust settles.

3. Rose101

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Sat Feb 10 2018 10:44:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the response. I live in a duplex and my mother is my tenant so we were easily able to powder her side as well however I didn’t do attic or basement so of course I am paranoid that they escaped my apartment and are hiding in the walls. This anxiety is real and it’s no fun at all. Anyway, my husband was a pest control tech years ago and he is an assisted living facility manager so he has seen his share of them. We found and destroyed a harborage without taking photos. We did take one of the small big I picked up from my leg but I may have deleted that one. I will check and post one if I find it but I am 100% sure.

So as of this morning since powdering again and cleaning etc. I have a single suspect bite under my chin but I don’t see any more. Our son had gotten 2 the day we were on the couch but nothing since. Husband reports nothing but he spends almost no time on the couch. This is a very large 7 section recliner that is brown fabric and has 3 recliners. My husband re inspected before powdering and found nothing. We cut into the fabric underside of the seats, took them all apart, removed the cup holder section took it apart and powdered the hell out of the insides. My fear is that they are deep in the mechanics of the recliners but my husband says they will get hungry and come out eventually. I despise the thought of being bait but I want them gone so I continue to use the couch. That is my update. No clear signs of living bugs since the initial destruction and powdering but still not clear. I am anxious and I hate my life but this too shall pass....

4. Rose101

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Sat Feb 10 2018 10:48:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I am assuming that any hatchlings or any bugs that have come across the powder to bite me or go across to hide will die. Am I correct?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,669 posts in 45,842 topics over 139 months by 20,188 of 20,991 members. Latest: BBNewbiePlzHelp, akeller0293, califrnia