Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

I need some help...

(3 posts)
  1. CrazyMe

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2009 8:50:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I woke up this morning with two small pin pricks.. don't itch, on my hand. I'm so depressed and anxious.

This is day 12 after 2nd treatment (PCO treated bed, furniture (freeze), residual, crack-crevice dusting. cleaning, etc..). I'm going crazy---I haven't seen any bugs or residue, or eggs, or fecal matter in the month that I've been treating my apt. I keep checking mattress and boxspring obsessively.

My question is: Should I call my landlord/PCO to have my apt inspected one more time? Should I wait?

I'm about to lose it--I started crying today at work because I just don't know what's going on, or what to do. My SO is about to dump me... everything seems so hard.

I don't even know if these are actually bed bug bites. But I do get random bites that I notice about every 5 days. Could it be something else?

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2009 12:43:41
    #

Login to Send PM

After dealing with bed bugs, a great many people find themselves with two things going on. First, we tend to be hypervigilant, closely examining anything that might be a bed bug. I stopped wearing a favorite nail polish color because it was bed bug colored, and so when it would flake off in the shower, I would freak out and jump at nail polish flakes. (This is made worse by the fact that I have a clinically moderate nearsightedness that I wear contacts or glasses to correct. Clinically moderate means eye docs don't think it's a big deal, but my vision uncorrected is blurry enough that I won't walk down my own driveway to check the mail without glasses. Blurry enough that I spend extra to get ultrathin lenses in my glasses to avoid the coke bottle bottom look. When I'm in the shower without contacts or glasses, the bathtub floor is far enough away to be out of focus. I can't tell the different between a clump of hair or a spider, so i'm extra jumpy there anyway.)

I started ordering the white bread instead of the multigrain at a favorite restaurant because the multigrain had flax seeds, which are totally bed bug sized and shaped. Just seeing the flax seeds freaked me out.

In addition, some people who've been exposed to bed bugs find that their skin is extra sensitive after exposure to bed bugs.

Put those two factors together with the difficultly of detecting bed bugs, and you have a recipe for stress and anxiety while you're still waiting to find out if they're gone or not.

If you have a good relationship with the PCO you're using, calling the PCO and saying that you have something that may or may not be bed bugs bites, but that you'd really like to get someone out to do an inspection might be a way to get yourself a little less anxiety.

Where are you getting the bites every five days? I ask because I was getting little bumps on my legs about once a week, and it took careful attention to detail to realize that that's my oversensitive skin's response to the hair growing back in since I'd last shaved.

The problem with bites as an only indicator is that, in fact, bites or bite like responses can be any number of other skin irritations or bugs from any number of other sources.

I know it's scary and frustrating, and I know that you just desperately want some certainty that it's either going to be over soon or by some specified point in the future, and trust me, everyone here also wishes it were that easy. I can't give you any definite answers except to say that if you think you won't alienate a hostile landlord and/or PCO, getting someone in to inspect might help put your mind a bit more at ease.

3. CrazyMe

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2009 13:19:17
    #

Login to Send PM

buggyinsocal: Thank you so much for your thoughtful and thorough response. I am definitely frustrated but I think I should just hold tight for a bit and wait and see. I am pretty sure that my landlord/PCO would be pretty annoyed with me...and I think it would be better to just hold tight. That's the hard part though. The little bites I get tend to be on my hands.

--For what it's worth, I have been outside an awful lot recently. Soaking up the good weather and trying to avoid my apt in general. So it is possible that it is something else. I just don't think it's mosquitoes, because these little marks are not itchy.

And---again, nothing in the sheets, bedframe, or bites on the boyfriend. And I know he's insanely allergic.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,649 posts in 49,518 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982