I need info about bat bugs

(11 posts)
  1. edk

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 6:38:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I just got our 3rd treatment from an exterminating company this week for bed bugs. I am always on the search for them after treatment. Yesterday I found a dead baby one (nymph? is that what you call them?) in my window sill. I didn't keep count, but I know I have seen at least 2 bed bugs crawling up my wall and 2 on the ceiling and 1 in the window sill. I did a search to see if these are normal places to find bed bugs and the search turned up info about bat bugs. There is only 1 spot in my bedroom that showed signs of bed bugs. One spot on the baseboard. Ok, guys, so we have had a couple bats in our attic over the years, but haven't recently noticed any, but you can hear bats outside my house in the evenings on the side of the house my bedroom is. I have also very recently seen a dead bat in that area. I don't think the chimney is sealed and I noticed a few broken places on the eaves of the house they could go in. Also there is vent in our was half bath, now used as a walk in closet and an opening into our attic in our bedroom. Do you think this is worth mentioning to my pest control guy? Can I get bat bugs if the bats are still there? Is bed bugs common on walls and ceilings? If I should mention this could you give me a reputable site to show my exterminator so I'm not just saying "some guy on the internet told me..."

Thanks!

2. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 9:06:31
    #

Login to Send PM

There are a lot of websites with information- unfortunately not a lot of great sites. This site has a really nice diagram of the physical differences of the bat bug versus the bed bug.
    https://extension.colostate.edu/docs/pubs/insect/05574.pdf

3. mcsmcs

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 9:19:35
    #

Login to Send PM

If you can catch an adult take a good picture or send it to Lou bugs. However if your exterminator knows his or her stuff they should probably be able to tell under a microscope. You're right that these aren't typical bed bug behaviors but that doesn't mean they're not bed bugs. But from what you say they could certainly bat bugs.

4. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 9:24:22
    #

Login to Send PM

This is a helpful academic resource http://animaldiversity.org/accounts/Cimex_pilosellus/

5. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 9:36:25
    #

Login to Send PM

6. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 10:12:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Click on the article to download- I hope these articles are helpful.
    http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/resinf/opm/2012/00000023/00000003/art00009#

7. mcsmcs

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 19:22:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugsstressingmeout. Have you seen anything about how much to treat belongings?

8. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 21:32:46
    #

Login to Send PM

On many of the bat bug websites put up by bat removal companies and exterminators, it often says that once you remove the bats they will just “die” off. Which is frustrating, because yes, they will die off without the blood of a bat... if you’re willing to wait 18 months. The other more academic sites say that you need to treat a bat bug infestation in a similar manner to bedbugs, with residual chemicals, heat, steam, etc. They talk about the importance of treating at the spot the harborages began (which is impossible for me since I can’t get to it). I guess it would be until you no longer see signs of bugs, or 18 months after the confirmed removal of the bats (whichever came first). Once the bats are removed, you’re basically fighting bugs that can’t reproduce, so in theory it would be easier to fight- except the attic makes it a bit tricky.

9. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 21:38:32
    #

Login to Send PM

One of the bat bug sites talks about using dichlorvos (Nuvan strips) in the attic as an effective tool, but I’m worried about if that is safe while living in the house?

10. mcsmcs

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 22:01:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Ugh. Yeah I was not cautioned to be careful and I treated a bunch of things before we found out they were bat bugs but now I'm paranoid about spreading them to my mom's house which definitely doesn't have bats so I guess I can only bring so many of them but ... thought I brought them to her office but I kind of feel like that is her anxiety because before we found anythin I spent the night at my moms and at a friend's house and none of them have any bugs so I would I accidentally track one to just that office?

11. mcsmcs

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 22:02:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know whether to pack tight everything or not. I guess everything going in storage it's not such a big deal cuz it will be there for over a year. As far as the strips I don't know how to attic vs. house. If you sealed it off it would probably be fine but I don't know seal it off well enough to know nothing was getting to you

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,452 posts in 46,581 topics over 142 months by 20,545 of 21,411 members. Latest: PrismArc, unclejohn, WheelBugger