I may have to deal with beg bugs again.

(9 posts)
  1. Bill Bugs

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jun 7 2018 1:04:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not a racist. I judge people by their actions and morals - not any other criteria.

However, 10 years ago an asian indian man moved into my apartment complex (above my apartment). Despite his apparent wealth (good job, nice car etc.) he felt the rent for his 1 BR apartment was too costly so he began taking in roommates (men from India on short-term IT assignments here in the US).

One of his roommates informed me, during a casual conversation about 6 months after they had moved in, that they had brought in a used mattress, into their apartment, which was infested with bed bugs (I had no idea, at that time, what bed bugs were). He stated that after they discarded the mattress that the bed bugs remained in their apartment. He asked if I had any bed bugs in my apartment (this gentleman, who spoke poor english, seemed very amused about the matter). Not knowing what bed bugs were, at the time, and not noticing any bugs in my apartment I said no (I was not having any reaction to bed bug bites).

This asian Indian gentleman (who I was very cordial with) lived above my apartment for approximately 14 months. In the 14th month, I read an article in my local paper about bed bugs. I suddenly realized that I had bed bugs (I would see them climbing my walls late at night). I called my superintendent and sure enough, after an inspection, he concluded I had bed bugs in my apartment.

I shared with my superintendent the said conversation I had with the roommate of my upstairs neighbor. My upstairs neighbor did not deny the said mattress story and did not deny having bed bugs in his apartment. He apologized for the stress it was causing me but did say the he was not the least bit concerned about being bitten by a bed bug (perhaps living with bed bugs is normal in the Indian culture?).

The said asian Indian man was evicted from the complex and he was not paid his security deposit. After enduring two feeble attempts by the landlord to resolve the bed bug infestation, I left my apartment with just the clothes on my back and the keys in my pocket (my apartment was completely infested - when they rolled up my carpeting there were blotches of blood stains all over the bottom of my carpet - smooshed, dead bed bugs).

I had to hire a cleaning company to come and haul all of my belongings away and discard them (I lost all of my belongings - furniture, electronics, golf clubs, books, clothing etc.). The whole bed bug episode was extremely traumatizing and stressful (preparing for the 2 feeble attempts by my landlord for the bed bug treatments was very time consuming and stressful).

I am not wealthy, and moved into the second floor of a very old house. The 2nd floor apartment was fully furnished, by the landlord, with very old furniture. Being that I had nothing, I was very grateful for this apartment. After a couple of years, the landlord sold the property and I had to vacate the premises (my lease was month to month and this sale was rather sudden).

I then moved into an apartment complex (very leary of having to deal with bed bugs again). I have been so concerned about having to deal with bed bugs again, 8 years later I have yet to buy any furniture for my apartment except for the bare essentials (i.e. bed, tv, folding card table, folding chair, tv table, foot stool, reclining chair (I waited 2 years to buy the reclining chair).

Despite the spartan living conditions in my present apartment, I truly enjoy my apartment (my needs are basic). Again, I am not racist but I did note that there were no asian Indians living in this small apartment complex (I have no idea if that is due to profiling by management).

However, I have just been informed that an Asian Indian family of 5 will be moving into the apartment above mine. I have nothing against these people personally, but I am scared to death about their soon arrival. I have heard that bed bugs are quite prevalent in Asian Indian communities and that many, if not all, Asian Indians are not concerned about living with bed bugs.

Based on my own previous experience, noted above, of having an Asian Indian for an apartment neighbor and his said statement to me that "I am not concerned about being bitten by a bug.", I believe I have valid concern about having this Asian Indian family moving into the apartment above mine. I have already lost all of my belongings once due to a bed bug infestation that was due to no fault of my own. Again, I am a low income person.

Am I being prejudice or is it a fact that asian Indians tend to bring bed bugs into living dwellings? I realize that you can pickup bed bugs anywhere (movie theater, public bus, hotel etc.) but it seems to me that the bed bugs are very prevalent where Asian Indians live.

My previous experience with bed bugs has caused me to stay away from movie theaters, only travel on public buses when required to for work and I avoid hotels (my job does not require hotel travel and I don't travel for leisure).

Any useful advice on how to handle this potential bed bug matter would be appreciated. I am not in a position to pick up and move at this point. I tend to believe I may simply have to accept my fate of living with bed bugs until I can afford to move again (even then, I may find myself dealing with bed bugs again).

I don't want to be a racist, but I do resent people who force their culture on others and refuse to take basic precautions to avoid bed bugs.

2. LittleRin

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jun 7 2018 3:03:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, you're being racist. You're judging an entire family of people based upon what happened with an entirely unrelated man simply because they both share the same race. That is the exact opposite of judging people by their actions and morals.

The roommate that brought bed bugs into my home and lived in denial of it for months was white. Does this mean that all white people bring bed bugs with them? No.

Bed bugs are quite prevalent in NYC. Does that mean every New Yorker has bed bugs? No.

As an additional tip - you don't have to preface "Indians" with "Asian Indians". Indians = People from India and not Native Americans.

3. Bill Bugs

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jun 7 2018 3:52:10
    #

Login to Send PM

For starters, thank you for taking the time to reply. I meant no offense by using the term "Asian Indian" but I don't understand why it is not necessary to differentiate between "Asian Indians" and "American Indians" but I will take your word for it. I have met Indians in the past, via work and social functions, and never felt the desire to discriminate against them. As noted in my post, I was very cordial with my Indian neighbor as I have been with all of my neighbors.

You seem to be mistating a key fact (or perhaps assertion) in my post. It is my understanding that bed bugs are quite prevalent in Indian communities? Are you stating that is not true? (Please don't let your personal bias, or hurt feelings, overshadow facts.)

In fact, certain apartment complexes have become 100% populated by Indians (often by the Indians breaking the housing laws and cramming up to 10 people in a 1 BR apartment) and I am told infestation is rampid in those complexes. Accordingly, in the complex I left, there was much concern as the influx of Indians began moving into the complex.

I hope you are correct and this family does not bring bed bugs. But based on my direct experience with my previous Indian neighbors, and what I have heard about apartment complexes heavily populated with Indians, it does not seem as if Indians, in general, take any precaution to prevent bed bugs and are perhaps bringing them to the complex from their homeland in India.

I hope your story about your white roommate is an actual factually correct story and that you are being honest with yourself and me about this matter. Again, my point is not to offend anyone but if Indians are a major source of bed bugs than that matter needs to be acknowledged and corrected (hurt feelings aside).

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jun 7 2018 10:38:12
    #

Login to Send PM

No, he's right, you're being a dick.
    You have one experience with someone from another country, just one experience, and form an opinion based on that? I wonder who threw out the infested mattress that they brought home, I bet it was one of those Star-Bellied Sneetches.

You had one bad experience, get over it.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  5. LittleRin

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jun 7 2018 12:49:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I've not read any documentation that suggests Indian immigrants or Indian American communities are somehow more predisposed to having bed bugs than anyone else. It's just very easy and common to blame the 'other guy'. The French blame American tourists as the reason for their bed bug problem.

Any place where you have a ton of people living together, or many people passing through, you have a higher chance of bed bugs. This includes movie theaters, airports, and yes - apartment buildings. It just takes one person bringing them in for it to be a building-wide problem, especially as anywhere between 30-60% of people have no reaction to bed bug bites. Non-reacting people might not even realise they have a problem until it's too late. The guy that brought them into your last building could have been one of those "non-reacting" folks and thus didn't see it as a huge issue.

I don't understand why you would think I am lying about my white roommate being the one who brought bed bugs in unless you feel that white people as a whole are incapable of doing so. Bed bugs don't care about race, wealth, or even cleanliness. They just want blood. My roommate wasn't particularly dirty - he just worked in a place that had a ton of tourists passing through, which means higher risk that he'd run into someone with a bedbug hitchhiker.

6. eseptember

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jun 7 2018 18:49:02
    #

Login to Send PM

When you have to start your post with "I am not a racist..." you're probably about to say something racist. Not cool.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jun 7 2018 20:11:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Bill Bugs,

I’m not aware of any data that Indians or Indian-Americans are more disposed to bed bugs.

People who bring home used mattresses do get bed bugs, if the previous owners had them, but I assure you they fall into every race and ethnic group.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. Bill Bugs

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jun 7 2018 22:00:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Again, for starters, thank you all for taking the time to respond to my post. Particularly, the founder and administrator of this website - I am honored.

Big Dummy, I see no need for name calling. I am simply in the search for the truth and potentially a solution to my bed bug problem and perhaps for many others as well. We need to put hurt feelings aside and focus on extracting the truth and resolving this bed bug problem if possible.

To answer your question Big Dummy, the used mattress came from one of their friends at a near by apartment complex (per my conversation with my said neighbor).

There are many apartment complexes in the town I was living in. Two of the said complexes are inhabited by 100% Indian communities. The demographics of the said complexes changed from primarily Caucasian to 100% Indian over approximately a 10 year period (during the 1990s). There was an article in my local newspaper, during the said demographic transition, describing how families, of Indian decent, were moving into the apartments and breaking the housing laws (i.e. major over crowding of apartments with Indian men shaving outside in the morning via their car side mirrors). Many non-Indians living in the complex fled this situation. Apparently, it is difficult to enforce the housing laws because violators can lie and claim people are only visiting when, in fact, they are living in the dwelling. (The town would have to hire investigators to surveil apartments to prove otherwise).

My said neighbor had a friend at an apartment complex near by that was of mixed demographics. The apartment complex was not maintained as nice as the complex we were living in (my neighbor was torn as to wear to live because he had many friends at this other complex - I assumed they were Indian. I could be wrong). My neighbor chose our complex as a place to live because it was the best maintained apartment complex in town. There were not many Indians living in our complex at the time(I do not know if that was due to profiling by management). My neighbor obtained the used mattress from a friend living at this said mixed demographic apartment complex a mile away.

While going through the said bed bug ordeal, my said neighbor did not seem the least bit bothered by the infestation and did not in anyway dispute that he was the source of the infestation. He seemed genuinely concerned at how upsetting the matter was to me (we had a good cordial relationship) and tried to explain to me that "being bitten by a bug" was not a concern for him.

I was very upset with the feeble effort my landlord made to eradicate the infestation. Despite my great effort to prepare for the exterminator, the exterminator just sprayed the apartment (he was done within 30 minutes). I discussed the infestation with the exterminator and he stated that bed bugs are very prevalent in Indian communities (more so than other communities).

I contacted a second exterminator, on my own, to discuss the said infestation after the first feeble treatment provided by my landlord. The second exterminator informed me of how a thorough extermination needed to be done and what the costs would be. My landlord did not dispute that the second exterminator's methods would be far more effective but stated he would not pay for the said services.

The said second exterminator also informed me that bed bug infestations are very prevalent where Indians dwell. They mentioned a near by large town, that is known to have densely populated Indian communities, as being referred to as the "Bed Bug Capital of the World" (not NYC).

Again, my intent is not to insult anyone. But we cannot ignore the truth for the sake of not hurting someone's feelings. I would hope someone would be willing to speak up if in fact what I am asserting is true. It appears to me (based on my said experiences noted above), that Indians tends to flock together and create Indian communities and, in the process, shows very little regard for housing laws and preventing the spread of bed bugs. (Did bed bugs, in fact, originate from India and near by countries?).

Big Dummy, in my said "one bad experience", I lost ALL that I owned. In addition to losing all of my said belongings, the economy, at the time, was at an all-time low. The whole matter nearly broke me financially and mentally (I was hurting and seriously worried about being homeless). I did not set up a "Go Fund Me" page (I don't think they even existed back then), I simply moved forward as best I could.

I don't ask for much, but 10 years later I have yet to replace my lost belongings (by choice) and I am fearful I may lose the limited furniture I have if this said family brings a bed bug infestation (let alone the trauma of dealing with bed bugs each night I try to go to sleep).

I hope you are all correct and that I am raising a false alarm. I just want to live in peace but I believe if my said assertions are correct, the Indian culture, regarding bed bugs, needs to be corrected (just because Indians are "ok" with being bitten by bed bugs does not mean the rest of us should have to live that way).

As noted in my previous posts, I am fully aware that bed bugs can be picked up at various places such as movie theaters, public buses, hotels etc.. But based my said experiences noted above, bed bugs seem to be very prevalent in places where Indians dwell.

9. LittleRin

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Jun 8 2018 0:28:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure why you're here as you already seem very convinced that you know the answer to your own questions.

Three different people have told you no, Indians do not magically have a higher rate of bed bugs and you've responded that we should "not ignore the truth for sake of hurting people's feelings." There is no documentation or research for your claim. If all you wanted was for someone to confirm your biases, then you'll have to look elsewhere.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,560 posts in 46,603 topics over 142 months by 20,554 of 21,420 members. Latest: TRAY, tjg, jm1985